Northern Ireland Running

I have only joined this site today and I wanted to start a forum which was aimed at more running events and discussions for Northern Ireland runners.
I am living in Coleraine, I have ran this years Larne half-marathon and the Belfast Marathon which I finished in 3:44 and aiming for a sub 3:15 next year, so I am now back in training, feeling the cold, but Q 97.2 is helping me.
A few up-and-coming runs which I will be taking part in
27th December - Turkey Trot Rugby Ave Coleraine (more info to follow)
1st January - Race over the Glens 13:00
5th Febuary - Roe Valley Trail run 13:00
More to follow

If you are from Northern Ireland or if you just want to talk about training and other events I will be interested in hearing from you.

Comments

• Just thought i'd say hello from Co Down. I'm having a bit of a rest from road running right now (47 with crumbling knees) and am doing most of my running up in the Mournes. No traffic, beautiful scenery and times don't matter!If you don't mind wet feet give it a go.
  • James have you tried www.niathletics.org, it has a very comprehensive fixture list.

I admire your training times, I am sure you can get a good time this May Day, especially with the new supposedly faster marathon route.

I did it as my first marathon this year (I live in Belfast) and finished in just over 5 hours. I'm hoping to stay below that mark this year.
  • Hi James just droped in to see how your thred was going glad to see you are still training hard. It makes it easier if you have a goal to aim for. See you on Monday you'll be glad to know its only 4.5 miles and not 5.5 miles
  • James it's quite likely that your trainers have lost their cushioning after using them for nearly a year.

As for the Belfast Marathon, I might actually consider it although I was also thinking about Dublin. I am back after injury to doing around 15 miles per week in total and I think it would be a good basis to start to build up from. (plus a mate was keen to run it too)

Do you do any speedwork and if so, what?
  • Race starts at 11.00 on Monday, entry fee £3. Sales also start on Monday if you want a new pair of trainers, that is if Santa doesn't bring you a pair. I'll enter Glenariff on the day.
  • Anybody interested in fell running should contact the Northern Ireland Mountain Running Association. They can give you plenty of advice, fixture lists and training days. There is a fell race over the Mournes but it is a very serious two day affair.Bit too much for me i'm afraid. I might do the Glenariff myself if the Knees hold together. If you pass a middle aged, overweight and balding fella who looks in a lot of pain, say hello - it's probably me. Tell santa to bring you Inov8's- They are brilliant.
  • Hi James Hope you had a nice xmas - In the Mournes you need fell shoes for stepping out the car. Get up there and have a go. When it comes to fell races, who gives a toss about being good, just have fun. It's funny, my wife can't wait to get rid of me for two days....
  • Hello from Lisburn - I'm not training for anything in particular at the moment but might try the Belfast Marathon. If I haven't frozen by then, early morning runs this weather are no fun!

Mrs Taz