Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• James - here's what dublin will cost me. It's 50 Euro to enter, plus 5 Euro "booking fee" which seems compulsory for just about everything in Dublin (might even explain the price of a pint in Temple Bar)......we've got a room that will take two adults and a little un for 130 Euro, but you could do better than that, and then there's the cost of petrol and parking (20 Euro plus - or you could take the train or bus), not to mention food, drink and shopping.....

• That's 20 euro-plus for just the parking - I know petrol's cheap in the Republic, but not that cheap......
  • Hi everyone

Kenny - The Maghera 10K is on Tuseday 24th May, registration (£7.50) starting at 6.30pm - race will commence at 8.00pm (contact Conor at 028 79547400). It should be a good run. I missed it last year as I was on a course of penicillin.

I hope your achilles improves Kenny - Don't push it too much.

James - Dublin is an expensive city - however the marathon is well organised and its a fast course.

Chris - Good to hear from you - you're enjoying your running.

Ian - How's the running going. I'm thinking of doing a bit of rowing to rest the legs from the roads.
  • Plenty been going on in the last 24.

Out tonight for a steady 7 in 47 with heavy legs.

James wind not as strong as larne but wind is wind, it never seems to help you dust hinder you :-(

Chris, i use mizuno and wouldnt swap them, rider and precision, and phantom for racing. Good offers in RW at M&M and web at Start fitness. Also recomend seeing Michael, manager of Up and Running in Wellington place. He will check your gait and advise well. Offers discounts too!!! Whatever you choose, choose carefully, feet are essential for running apparently.

Seamus I get sea sick so rowing out for me:-)

Cartman, am doing Lisburn with a crowd and going for 1.55 ish, your welcome as is anyone to join.

• Managed six miles yesterday afternoon in 45' - felt like no distance at all! But it required quite a big effort - legs heavy....still, that's the start of it again!
  • Glad to hear that everybody is slowly getting over the marathon. Chris the legs will be feel haevy for a while take it easy and try not to over do it.

The guys in Ballymoney will be at Maghera a good testing 10K. I don't think there any flat bits it either up or down. I had a good run last year will have to wait and see how I feel this year.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Baldy do you mean 1.55 or 1.25 for the Lisburn race ? I'd like to have a crack at 1.25, but its only a month from my IM debut, so tapering etc. is out of the question.
  • Hi everybody

I did 3 x 6 mile runs this week. I hope to do another 6 miler tomorrow.
  • Hi everyone went this morning and ran 10 miles struggled the legs very heavy. On Thursday evening I ran a fast 6.7 miles and was feling good. Went to Physio on Friday and she worked on my achilles and groin/hip area. Showed me a few stretches so hopefully this will speed up the recovery.

Keep up the good work Seamus. I will be going to Maghera trying to get a few of the club to go. Hopefully I will feel good on the night but things are a bit up and down at the moment. I had a good run last year 49.09 would like to try and better that.

Baldy I would like to try and do a sub 1.50 in Lisburn now I've got the marathon out of the way maybe this would be possible. I was thinking about running with your group and if I felt good maybe kicking on over the last few miles.
  • Kenny you are more than welcome, i was steady thinking 8.45s which should do 1.55 and trying yto up the last 2 or 3 a we bit, but that coincides with altona and the last hill so will see how everyone feels.

keep it up Seamus longford is only 15 weeks away.

Did anyone do the Les Jones on friday, what a race for under two weeks after the mara, nasty. I was thinking about running it but ran along the Lagan tow path and looked at the final 2k which put me right off.

Next outing will be Ballymena i think, but have 3m trail race at work that day also!!
  • I would be interested if I make it to the start line. I mentioned it to Brendan who runs with me and he would be interested we tend to go off too fast and then struggle last couple of miles. I was thinking if I was feeling good about uping the pace on that long down hill back into Lisburn and keep going to the end. Feeling sore today after yesterdays 10 mile and an afternoons digging in the garden. Trying to catch up on all the work I missed out on when preparing for the marathon.
    I am hoping to run the Maghera 10K next week and Ballymena 5 mile the following. But will have to wait and see how I feel on the day.
  • Hi everybody

Did 6 miles this evening and felt good. I have improved lately as I'm varying my training. I used to just run different lengths of runs. I've upped the intensity lately and tried to finish all my runs strongly and I am noticing improvements (nothing strikingly but a gain of a few seconds in every mile) I find the hill training helps my endurance.

How's your training going everyone.

• Hello Seamus

Did 10 miles this afternoon - felt good, easier and quicker than previous efforts - even felt inspired enough to try the cold bath afterwards - did me good in that my legs were too numb to feel anything for a good 20 minutes after I got out! I'm definitely going to have a go at hill sessions - any tips on how long/steep the hills should be, number of reps and type/duration of recovery between them? Is it just a case of run up, jog down, x8 or so, on the biggest hill you think you can cope with?
  • Hi Chris cold baths take a bit of getting used to. My wife thinks I am mad but I think they help.
    Hill sessions don't have to be done on the steepest hill you can find. We do three different sessions one on a long gentle gradient one on a steep hill and a hill with a level bit at the top were we run the hill plus too lamposts the idea is that in a race you work the hill and kick off the top so that runners you pass on the way up don't pass you once you get to the top of the hill. All hills take about 1 min to 1.30 at my pace and you push up the hills with jog recovery on the way down. We started with 6 reps and have built it up to 10. We have a couple on cycle paths which are great as you don't have to worry about cars.

Keep up the good work Seamus.

We are doing fartek this evening 6 X 5 min on 2 mins off. This should test the legs before Maghera next Tuesday.

• Thanks for that Kenny - enjoy the fartlek.....I remember that from my long ago rugby days - along with the truly awful "beep test".....hills will be a joy in comparison.
  • First speed session since the marathon last night. The achilles and hip/groin feels OK after the session.
    Good luck with the hills Chris.
    How's everybody keeping is the training going OK.
  • Well everybody - I did 6.6 miles of hill running tonight - I have sent the entry form for the Lisburn half - hope to do the Ballymena Eco run.

Kenny - It is good to hear that your injury is improving - keep soaking it in very cold water - its a great healer.

Hi everyone else - are you still keeping up with the training.

Ian - I'm hoping to break 4 hrs in Longford - I'm dreaming again - I need to work harder in training - it good to dream of beating 4 hrs.
  • Hi everybody I did 5.5 miles last night legs felt heavy after the speed session on Tuesday. The phisio said that it was a build up of lactic acid in the achilles region and stripped the leg out by massage she showed me stretches which have helped my hip/groin, I have been doing these and its helped. I think I'am still suffering from the marathon as my running a bit up and down. I have read that it takes about a month to fully recover so I'am hoping for great things in June. Planing to do the Maghera 10K next week and the ECOS 5 mile the following week. Havn't sent away the Lisburn form yet.

Seamus keep living the dream and one day it may happen. Weather conditions in Longford might go against you as it can be quite warm in August. Dublin might be a better bet. Seamus the Dervock Half Marathon is on Saturday 23 July at 2.00.
  • Well all, what a terrible week.

gentle run on mon then out for a speed session on tue when i had to wimp out. spent the afternoon feeling sorry for myself hugging the toilet and feeling like had done an ultra in double quick time. nex out on fri and went gently, same yesterday but felt better. Out for 11 today and felt not bad will try again tomorrow to kick start myself, need some pace for the eco 5.

how every one else???
  • Hi everyone another busy weekend in the garden. Gentle 10 miles on Sunday found it tough after spending all day Saturday in the garden. Taking it easy tomorrow and going to try Maghera 10K on Tuesday night. Are you for running it Seamus I think I might need a pacemaker.
  • Happy days, back out tonight for a club run and felt fine pushed on a bit and nothing nasty happened. fingers crossed for a speed session tomorrow!!

Where is everyone, spose Chris is striking on here too!!!
  • Kenny I don't know if I'll run - I have the cold since Sunday and I feel a bit Flu-y today. I would need to mend an awful lot before tomorrow.

I'm scared of that dreaded virus which attacks the heart muscles when you run and are carrying a viral infection.

Last year I missed this local run as I was on pennicilin for a tooth abscess.

If not running I will call at the Leisure centre to see you all off.

• See you tonight Seamus. Going to give it a go to see what shape I am iun before the ECOS 5.

Baldy everybody gone quite after the marathon. See you in Ballymena next week.

• On strike yesterday bringing the BBC management to its knees (did anyone notice a difference?). Did NOT take the opportunity to use the time for a run - it is now a whole week since I last put on the trainers.......v. bad. Will definitely do hills tonight as a hair-shirt wearing exercise if nothing else. Although I did buy the Runners World running book and renewed my sub to the magazine, which is just as good as going training, I reckon.
  • gentle speed session today, 7x400m with jog recoveries. feeling better every day. out to do 9 tomorrow.

Kenny cant get to ballymena next week, wifey is working:-((

will have to make do with 3m multi terrain rce at work instead.

Chris, still not seen you at North Down on a mon night!!!

Seamus, about longford, can you turn up on the day if you enter inadvance. i fancy doing a one day trip and the email link wont work??