Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Hi Ian - Yes you can enter on the morning of the race - I was talking to people who did so last year. Its about a 3 hour drive from my part of the country (Maghera) I think it is a great, friendly well organised marathon.

Kenny - I went home straight after the race so wasn't talking to many. I did a PB in Maghera (47 mins 57 secs) - I think I was so pleased to be able to run that I went out and gave it everything - I also tailed a couple of fellows and we exchanged the pace, this helped me to push on. My brother Terence did it in 45 plus. Some day I hope to cross the line with him , but it will take a couple of years or so harder training.

Did you enjoy Maghera Kenny? I hope to do Ballymena next week.

Keep up the training everyone.
  • Well done Seamus you went by me at the start and I couldn't go with the pace. Thats a good time for that course. My legs felt very heavy in the warmup and during the race. I couldn't go with the guys I normally run with my time 51:45 is 2:30 slower than last year. I think I am still suffering from the marathon but maybe a hard race is what is required to get me going again. Good night for running overcast and little breeze. See you in Ballymena. We'll have to handicap Terence to give us a chance.
  • Kenny I told you a few weeks ago that Liverpool would win the Champions League. I t was a great match.

See you at Ballymena.
  • Hi Seamus I thought it was all over at half time. After what went on during the match I could see them loosing on penalties.
    Went out last night ran the Riada 5 course faster than I ran at Maghera still didn't feel right. Hoping things get better before next Wednesday so I can keep you in sight.
  • Kenny - You'll have no bother keeping up with me in Ballymena. I ran Ballymena last year in 39mins 51 secs. Its only this year that I seem to be able to break the 8 min mile barrier. I think the hill training that I started after the Connemara marathon has helped. I've also tried to do a faster training run every week. Its hard to keep up the consistency. Next week in Ballymena my body might rebell to running at that level.

What about the Carrickfergus 10K on June 4th ? Is anyone doing it?
  • was doing B'mena but my other half has to work so good luck you lot. day wont be totally wasted though, have a 3M trail race at work.

missed thu and fri due to work, good club handicap run today in crawfordsburn and a steady 90 mins tomorrow.

Carrick shoould be on for me, nasty hill to start with there!!

Looks like longford is a go then seamus.

Kenny, still think L'pool were blessed!
  • Hi everybody - 8 local runners in our area did a 10K today. My time was 50 mins. Its hard to do to races in one week.

I'm looking forward to the 5 miler in Ballymena.
  • Hi everybody. I just discovered this website a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading your comments and banter to each other. I've been running now for five years now and the disappointing Belfast marathon this year was my fifth marathon in total.

I was just wondering if anyone has run the Longford marathon in the past. How does it compare to the Belfast / Dublin marathons (which I've both ran previously)?
  • Hi J - Good to hear from you - I've run Longford 2 times and I found it to be the most enjoyable of all marathons. Its a very flat course and you could get a PB on it. Its very well organised and the medal at the end is lovely.

You can even register on the morning of the race. I think someone even registered at the starting line last year. However that would be leaving it a bit late.

I intend to do 6 easy miles this evening.
  • great 13.5 today, the sun was shining, a gentle breeze and a new pair of trainers, does life get any better. Then it was home to decorate mini me's room :-((

JM are you for longford too??

gonna have to start a thread on it soon.

hows every one else doing, gather youve still no pc at home James, bit quiet?

wher've all the girls gone too?

whos doing what on sat, Carrick or Enniskillen??

Im for carrick.
  • Hi baldy and rest, been busy with evening classes that luckily finish this week. Haven't had much chance to train but started again last week as doing New York in autumn.

On different note: has any of you been in new upandrunning shop in belfast city centre? Is it worth visiting?
  • Thanks for that Seamus. By the way my name is Jim which I meant to put instead of "J" - I'm not used to this new technology. Will definitely be doing Longford, although haven't told the missus yet as I'm about to become a father for the first time in a few weeks time. Ran a hilly 8 miles this morning, the best I've felt since Belfast.

Speak to you soon.

• Hi Jim - I,m at the other end of the spectrum - my youngest girl is 18 years old. I now have more time to run. Hope to see you at Longford.

Don't stay in the town on Saturday night as it is quite noisy - stay in a B&B on the outskirts. I stayed in the Longford Arms Hotel for the first marathon and didn't sleep until 4.00am because of the disco music and cheering crowds of young people.

I did 6 miles yesterday evening and felt good. I'll do a few more miles today - I'll decide how many when I'm on the road.

Its good to do hilly runs as it strengthens your legs. I do a hill session once each week.

Kenny, Ian, James - how's the training going?
  • Hi everyone I did 10 miles yesterday the hip got sore about two miles from the end. Its a funny problem some times you go out nad its fine others it gives you problems. Maybe have to go back to the physio. Sent away my entry for Lisburn.
    Going to the gym now and a nice easy run tomorrow before Ballymena on Wednesday.

Baldy I don't know about Carrick see how I go in Ballymena.

Hi Jim are you planning any races. Children change your life you don't have the same freedom.
  • Hi kenneth,

Slightly concerned as I'm hoping to do Lisburn for the 5th year in a row but if the baby comes early then the plan might have to change. I'm not running B'Mena although I'm considering Carrick but I haven't done much speed work however
  • Hi Jim you may be lucky with Lisburn but once those babies decide it time to get out there no stopping them.

I've never done Carrick do you know what type of course it is.

James the Hammers are back did you watch the match.

If anyone is free on Thursday and fancies a good 10 miler come to Limavady 7.15 start for the Jude Gallagher Memorial Round the Bridges. There are few 10 milers about these days and this is a good flat course if you are looking for a PB.

• Out for a seven miler last night - 20 mins in felt a tickle on my right calf - three paces later - rip! Know from experience on left leg last year that this is a tear - but not a big one thank goodness - but that's me out for at least a month.....so no Lisburn, and, sorry Baldy, no chance of Monday evenings in Bangor for a while.....incidentally - what time do you meet on Mondays? If I'm working, I'm not usually finished until 6.30pm.....
  • Chris it may not be as serious as you think. Run plenty of cold water over affected area every hour - its a good healer.

Kenny The 10 miler is on the nia website as being on Thursday 30th June? Has it changed?
  • Sorry Seamus it should have been Thursday 30 June.
    Have you ran it before. Unfortunately I won't be able to run as I have to do entries and results. The 10 miles a a nice distance to race and you'll get a cup of tea at the end.

Chris cold water or an ice pack and a few days rest may help.
  • Kenny - I've never run Limavady - but I hope to this year. It sounds easier than the Ballyclare 10 miler. I thought it was a killer.

I'm looking forward to Ballymena tomorrow. I hope to break 39 min barrier - my best run at 5 miles was in Stranocum in 39 mins 26 secs.

How's the hip these days Kenny?. Sometimes I have a sore hip after runs and I do squats to relieve the pain.
  • Seamus Limavady is a doddle compared to Ballyclare. I'd love to be running it but I've been roped into doing the results.
    The hip is stiil giving me a few problems I have been doing stretches the physio showed me but I must try a few squats. Last year I ran 38:10 in Ballymena depends how I feel tonight my running is up and doewn at the moment but if I have a good night will give it a good go. I think you will break 39 Seamus if you run the way you did last Tuesday. Good luck see you later.
  • well all

plenty been going on over the last few days.

have taken things easy cos of the ole work thingy, body not feeling too bad, but managed a 2 1/2M race at work today and did not too bad 15.20 for a run through mud, grassy slopes and tarmac hills!!

Chris, 7.30pm for North Down we dont get too excited over time keeping though.

how has b'mena gone???

number arrived for lisburn today, how many takers for 1.55 ish or possibly quicker, i have a few dessenters at work over the pace. so am open to suggestions.

Carrick is very up hill for first mile then across the top down hill to the power station and long flat in to the castle. can be fairly quick if you dont burn out at the start.

• Hi everyone, how are you all? How did B'mena go?

Seamus, interesting to hear you say that you thought B'Clare was a killer as I have only ran 1 10 miler and that was the B'Clare one 2 years ago, where I had one of those nights where running seemed easy and I came home in 1:15, which i was happy with for my standards. Dreaming that I can get back to that level. Will probably try Limavady.

Speak to you all soon.

• Jim - That was a terrific time. I did it in 90 mins last year. It was a very hot morning - I remember it as one of my toughest runs.

Ian - I'm going to try to break the 1 hr 50 min barrier in Lisburn. I mightn't do it - but it is nice to dream.

I was pleased with my run in Ballymena - I had a PB of 39 mins and 3 secs. I tried to break the barrier of 39 mins. I'll have to run another 38 mins 59 secs of hell in order to do that.

Kenny - That was a crazy route in Ballymena - there were stretches of 50 metres or so under one foot of water. Our strides had to change and then coming out of it our shoes felt so squelchy and heavy.

I would say it added almost 1 minute onto most people's runs. I actually had a faster run in Maghera.

James - Haven't heard much from you lately.
  • Hi everyone now I know what they mean by treading water. I don't think Ballymena is a fast course anyway because there are so many twists and turns. There must have been about a quarter or mile or more under water. You had just got your shoes dried out when you hit another puddle. You had to change your stride when you hit the water and you shoes felt so heavy once you came out of it. I was over 4 minutes down on last year my legs felt so heavy and I could get going. Seamus I saw you fly past me just after the start and there was no way I was going to be able to stay with you. On a better night you would have broke the 39 minutes. People were going past me who I normally finish well in front of.
    Baldy the way I'am running 1:55 would be a good time. I would like to break 1:50 but unless there a big improvement in the next fortnight I will be aiming just to get round.
    Baldy do you fancy Limavady good course for a PB. Couple of pubs on the course but you'll only get water as this is were the water stops are.
    I think I'll give Carrick a miss as we are doing a long run on Sunday in preparation for Lisburn. If I had ran well last night I might have tried it.
  • Hi Guys

Have been reading RW forums for the last few months and came across this one recently.

I have only ever run Belfast and Lisburn in NI, but I'm thinking of running Carrick on Saturday to prepare for Lisburn Half.

I have had a couple of disappointing marathon times recently, so I'm desperate to PB in both Carrick and Lisburn.

Whilst Carrick is hilly, my only previous 10k was around Stormont (very hilly - in 45:51) so I hope to go closer to 44:00.

As for Lisburn have previously run 1:48, then 1:40, so hoping for 1:36 ish this year.

See you at Carrick.
  • hi Guys,

Seamus well done, very good time in B'Mena. Anything under 8 minute miles is very good.

Done 6 miles tonight, felt very sluggish. Don't seem to be able to get any consistency since Belfast. Concentrating on Lisburn now. Giving Carrick a miss.

Kenny, how far would you recommend for a long run on Sunday, with Lisburn less than 2 weeks away.

Scott, good to hear from you. I'm new to the forum as well. Your Lisburn times are very impressive. I'll be happy with anything below 1:50.

Speak to you all soon

• Jim

I also wonder what is the best final long run distance before Lisburn (and when to run it)

I am currently hoping to do a reasonable pace 12 miler next Sunday - leaving 10 days of taper.

I expect reasonable pace to be say 15 secs per mile slower than goal half mara pace

Any thoughts ?
  • Hi Jim we are planing to do the Dervock Half Marathon run this Sunday as the final long run before Lisburn. One of the guys lives near the course so we are going to his house doing the run and hopefully his wife will have the breakfast ready when we get back. I think this shoud give us enough time to recover before the race. After that it will be a few shorter runs until the 15 June.
    Scott sometimes you get a PB when your not expecting it. When you go looking for them you tend to put yourself under too much pressure. Good luck anyway.