Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Hi Baldy - Good to hear from you. I hope the shins mend soon. Yes I hope to do Stranraer - I got an advertiser for it a few days ago. It was a good day out last year.

I am only running on Sats and Suns at the moment. I did a good 3 miler today and put plenty of effort into it.
  • Hi folks training 3 times a week after Xmas hoping to build up for Belfast. Hope to do Stranear but its the week before Omagh. For doing the Race over the Glens on 2 Jan. James still runs with us on a Sunday he hasn't got a computer at home and is having problems getting on at work.
    Well done Cartman that was an excellent run as Luton is not an easy course. Can't see any 10 milers until next summer unles you want to travel to Coke for the Ballycotton 10 in the spring.
  • Hello everybody - A very happy Christmas to you all. Its good to hear from you James.

I ran a very slow 13 miles today - it was very cold - I should have speeded up a bit - but when you atart slow its hard to change up the gears.

• Happy Christmas everybody ran 11.5 mile yesterday at 9.5 min pace. Going to Pegasus fun run tomorrow hoping it gets a bit warmer.
  • Hi Kenny and Co - I ran 3 miles yesterday. I've a bit of a cold these days.

I also have a slight uneasiness on the outside of the hip bones. I did a slow 13 miles last Saturday - it was the first long distance for about 3 weeks. I think I ran too far ad too slowly and it was very cold around 0 degrees C or -1 degree c. I also didn't stretch after this run as we had visitors.

Any one else have had these hip problems. I can still run but its slightly uncomfortable. When you go to sit down - ther's a slight sensitive sensation on the outside of the side of both hips (older people called this area the hinch)

I would appreciate information on this.
  • Hi Seamus not sure what you can do. I sometimes find the camber on country roads can be sore on the hips. I take Glucosamine Sulphate each day to help protect my joints. Stretching might help. Where you running in an old pair of shoes? I got new pair for Christmas and although I though my old trainers were OK I can feel a big difference. Where you wering leggings or shorts, the cold can get into the joints at this time of the year.
    I ran the Pegasus fun run on Boxing day I measured the course at 5.5 miles but I think it was nearer 5, you have problems with the signal when running through trees, I was happy with my time 39:14. Looking forward to Gleneriff tough run but you always feel better when you have completed it.

• Thanks Kenny for the reply.

That was a very good time for over 5 miles Kenny. Keep the good work going.

Thanks for the advice. I've improved a bit today. I did loads of stretching yesterday - every conceivable stretch on every hour. It has helped. I used Voltarol gel as well.

I think I ran too far and was very cold - I was running in shorts. I also think it may have been the camber as well. I'm doing a lot of squats to improve the hip strength.

The shoes have about 300 miles or so on them so they should be OK for 200 more.

Thank God I don't get injured often as its hateful not being able to run.

Thanks again for the advice Kenny.
  • Happy New Year everyone. Ran Race over the Glens today, conditions good a bit misty at the top of the glen there was a good turnout with 219 runners finishing. I ran 53.04 is three and half minutes faster than last year although I felt I was struggling all the way round. James also ran 47.09. Looking forward to Stormont Cross Country on Saturday.
  • Welldone yesterday kenny, not bad conditions eh. Missed the big races as was lookng after school kids in teh primary school races.

Just about to head out for 10/12M beofre tea. Got new thingies for in shoes and shins healing. looking good for a Feb comeback.

Have london club entry now so full steam ahead.....
  • Thanks Baldy i ran 30.46 yesterday I was 2 mins fster than last year but conditions this year a lot better. Don't feel as if I am running well at the moment.
    Hear they are for releasing details of the new course for Belfast this week susposed to be very hilly. Have to wait and see.
  • Any word yet on the Belfast marathon? Has anyone else started training yet ?

• Hi ElleRs starting to build up from this week. I was told that details for the course would be released this week. Belfast are never to quick at giving out details.
    What sort of milage are you doing at the moment?
  • I'm doing about 35 miles a week with one hard session and one longer run. I am just gently building up as I usually get injured doing marathon training. Did you do this marathon before ?
  • Hello everybody - Good to hear you are all stepping up your training for the new year.

I had my worst spell in 4 years of running over Christmas. I had sore hips during runs and aching thighs after them. I didn't feel like running.

However I used a stretch (standing lifting one leg up with bent knee - repeat the process several times and then do with the other leg)

This seemed to free the trapped nerve/muscle and I ran a good 5 miler this evening and am pleased as it went well (42mins).

Just mentioned this in case it happens to any of you.

• Hi ElleRs I ran Belfast last year not a good experience as there was a bomb scare and we were diverted off the course and had to run more than 26.2, they also changed the course and it wasn't too popular. They are cahnging the course again this year and with it being the 25th hopefully it will be better.
  • This years promises to be better, but dont quote me on the following:

city hall, grosvenor rd, falls, springfield, lanark way, shankill, peters hill, north quene street, shore rd, cycle path, odyssey, holywood exchange, A2 back in, east belfast, to finish in ormeau park

very very unofficial!!!

anyone coming to the relays this weekend, what about the junior and vets champs teh week after for the usual annual hard slog, be there for the baldy come back!
  • Thanks Baldy won't be up this weekend but will be at the Vets Champs the following weekend. How's the leg?
    I have a few little niggles not sure how they will cope with marathon training time will tell.

• Hello all

Glad to see winter training (and racing) continuing. Aggravated calf injury has kept me off the roads since Dublin. Still hopeful of getting back with time to train for Belfast. Latest word is city hall official launch of route details etc on February 1, but the route Baldy's sources have provided looks lively if hilly.....
  • Will have up the hill training if thats the case Chris

• Sure it's a small price to pay to have the route lined with cheering spectators.....and we'd be doing lots of hill training anyway (wouldn't we?). When's the Larne half?
  • Chirs wouldn't be hard to have more cheering spectators than last year. Larne is on 1 April but Omagh the week before would have more hills.
  • Hello everybody - I ran my long run of 10 miles today in 94mins.

My fastest miles on tempo runs are 8 mins/mile

On the training forum Shades says my tempo runs should be 7.55 to 8.15 mins/mile

My easy run should be 9.10 to 9.40 mins/mile

My long run should be 9.10 to 10.10 mins/mile

I think I should run the easy and long runs a bit faster. However I may be overtraining at home. I want to run a marathon under 4hrs sometime this year.

Any views on these training paces.
  • Seamus, you no what i think, easy runs are as you feel comfy, tempo runs i dont do, i use hard regular 2, 4 8 and 10000 reps with 2/3 rest/jog. kenyan hills and long runs at mara pace. An old RW mara schedule basically.

missed the relays, due to work, good jobn i did as the club won this time!!! Looking forward to the Junior and Vets on sat - NOT, too bloody hard to enjoy. The palce is wet and getting muddy already.........
  • Hi Baldy - Good to hear from you. I find that I'm a bit slower this year. However I had a good year last year.

I did a 13 mile run today in 2hrs and 4 mins , last year I did in in 1hr and 59 mins.

However its good to be able to run at any pace.
  • Good run yesterday Baldy. Cross Country is never easy. I was happy with my run but hard to compare with last year as they made us run an extra mile this year. 11.5 miles this morning but I am having so many niggles not sure how I'll cope with marathon training.
    Seamus 5 minutes over 13 miles in training isn't very at this time of the season when time on you feet is more important than speed. Keep up the training.
    Anyone interested in doing Roe Valley Country Park Trail Run on 4 Feb at 12.00. 4 miles through one of the nicest forest parks in the province.
  • LIke wise kenny, tis a hard course.not too bad for first outing in 4 months i really was making up the numbers this year. The twisted ankle crossing the last path 300m from the end is a pain though, quite literally. Lots of RICE for that and i will hopefully be back on me feet on tues. too sore to run today.

well done to city of derry, they have a class squad, maybe someone else will get a look in next year!!

Roe valley is out for me, 11+ results that day and i am an expectant father this year. Stormont is the next for me.

keep the training up everyone.

• Hi Baldy - City of Derry always seem to find some new talent every year.

I had the 11+ results last year so I understand. I'll be on the computer at Roe Valley less stress full running.

Will be doing Stromont always enjoy the Civil Service race and seem to always have my best run on the country at that race.

Hope the ankle is OK
  • less swollen today so wikk try it out with a gnetle 6M tomorra.

checked last years junior time, was minute quicker than 2005 and a second quicker than 2004. must be doing something right, i felt not too hot though!!

put my name forward for the senior if we need numbers for a team, must be nearing real vet status fi i am losing my marbles that much!!!
  • Hi Baldy I ran the seniors last year, tough race, I finished last and was lapped by everyone except one runner. But I stuck it out when other members of the team pulled out. I was the sixth member of the team to count. Might run it again this year and try and break the hour before I retire. Too many good runners will not take part as they don't like being lapped but the only way to improve is to put yopurself in against these guys and see how you go. Six times over the university hill is tough going.