Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• 6 times, i thought it was only 5, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

didnt manage to get out today, will try the ankle out over 6/7 tomorrow.

wheres the rest of you gone?
  • Hi Baldy and Kenny - Baldy I hope your ankle strengthens up soon - it will - maybe give it anothers days rest - better to go back later than too soon.

Kenny - You're running well at the moment - that's good.

I did a speedy 5 miles this evening - the rest of the week will be easier. I'm planning my season with doing the hard session at the start of the week and then take it easier.
  • Hill session last night 25min hills push up the hill jog recovery on the way down keep going for 25 mins. Good session if you pace it right interesting when your at the back and see the runners who think its not much of a hill and 25 minutes isn't long when they start to struggle at the end.
    Seamus I think you have to do a least one hard session a week and your long run at the weekend when your training for the marathon. Much easier to do the hard stuff with a group I find if hard to push myself when running on my own.
    Was in Up & Running on Monday and the guy in the shop was saying that the Belfast course this year will be much better than last year might be a bit harder but more interesting.
  • Hi baldy the rest of us are here, forever seeing and watching and eavesdropping etc
    Just done 7 miles in 10 minutes, as I regularly do and feeling fabulous.
    Seriously though, can't wait until the spring now and running in the light again. Although i'm dreading Lisburn 1/2, am going to do some serious hill training for it this year.
    Any ideas anyone, I really struggle with hills and found myself walking the other day(s) up a steep one...
  • Hi Turtle Toes Lisburn is a tough half and a bit of hill training would help as I've said before these are difficult to do on your own. One thing you could do on you long run is attack the hills go harder than you normanlly do and recover on the downhill. You could also do hill reps, find a hill, doesn't have to be steep about 200 - 300m long work hard up the hill and recover on the way down, start with about 6 reps and build it up to 10. Start the session with a 1 mile warmup and end with a 1 mile cool down. Try to do this once a week after a few week you see the benifit when you hit the hills during a run. Good luck with your training I much prefer training in the clear evening as you can get out and explore the countryside and are not stuck in around town.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

any 10 milers comming up in March ? Would love to have a crack at a sub 60 time before the summer.

Can't wait to see what the marathon course is like this year. I'm definitely doing it, but as part of the 3 day ironman thing, but I'm still hoping for a 3:15'ish time..
  • Hi Cartman no 10 miles that I know of until June. Stranrear, Omagh and Larne of halfs during March/April. Albertville 5 on 4 March. Very few road races at this time of the year. How's the training going for the ironman?
  • Thanks Kenneth. My other dilemma is this: I have a bad cold and cough, ever so slightly on the chest. But I really want to go training tomorrow night in the freezing cold as I have not run now for 4 days (!). Do I
    a). stay in with a packet of Revels
    b). See how I feel, maybe go and take it easy or
    c). stop being such a wimp and get my quads workin'

Any suggestions for this then?
  • Hi Turtle toes hard to avoid colds at this time of the year. They recomend if the cold is above the neck its safe to run below the neck ie chest don't run. I tend to wrap up well and go out and try a sweat it out. Home to a good warm bath or shower. Revels are tempting though.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Hi Kenneth,

going ok I suppose. I'm cutting back my running, :-((, to do more cycling.. REally want to keep my current level of running fitness, hence why I'd like a stab at a few shorter races..

will probably have a go at one of those half's in March/April too..

is there a list of the road races in NI availble online anywhere ?
  • Hi Cartman when I was cycling to work (9 miles each way)one day a week last summer I though I was running better than I am at present. Can't wait for the clear evenings.

Go to this site and click on fixtures
    www.niathletics.org/
  • colds are for girls!!!

splutter, cough.......

i take the attitude on if i feel like it i'll run, if i dont, i dont.

Nice steady off road 14ish on sun and a gentle 4 last night. did a good 8x800m today at 5km ish pace, feeling it now though.

must check my entry for the senior, why not give that a go cartman, 12km of your finest coleraine hills and mud????

• Missing out on the seniors to concentrate on marathon training but will be there to give you a push over the hill.
    Ran 13 on Sunday speed session tonight very cold at the moment but not too bad once you get going a least its dry.
    Got entry form for Belfast yesterday website to be launched tomorrow.
  • Excuse me Baldy, I am a girl. That's why I moan about these things. Stayed in anyway, with a French Manicure set. It strikes me that this is bit of a male dominated area of the site.

Where are you girls?!

Don't leave me on my own with all these men!
  • Hi Turtle Toes we have the odd female dropping in needs a female to keep us in line.
  • Hi Everybody - I'm still running, but doing less than I did last year. I've only reached a maximum of 29 miles per week so far. I hope to up this a bit.

However - I do push myself on a speedy 5 mile run every Tuesday evening. In the last 4 weeks I've reduced this run from 42 mins to 39 mins 20 secs.

I hope to keep the 5 miler at this pace this year and it may help my 10K results.

Is one speed session enough per week?

Kenny - What do you think of this type of training?
  • Seamus,

I have found that one speed session a week is enough by any means. It goes without saying that long slow distance running makes long slow distance runners, but speedwork is going to lift the lid of your fitness more than anything - providing you do it right and I'm sure you are. It certainly sounds like it.
    I took 5 mins of my 1/2 m and 3 of a 10 k last year just by doing 20 - 30 minutes hard running or 4 to 6 4minute reps with two mins between. My 5 mile time also went down from 42 mins to 36mins.
    I just wanted to share my joy with you there as I was quite pleased with that.

I'm still looking for girls on our section of the site!
  • Turtle Toes - Thanks for your support and advice.

That's great going down 6 mins on that distance of 5 miles.

That gives me more hope. I don't think I'll ever reduce my 5 miler to 36 mins. but I would be happy to run between 38 - 39 regularly.

No - There haven't been many girls on this site - there probably will be as we get nearer to the Belfast marathon. Thanks again, Seamus.
  • Turtle Toes girls tend to come and go if you hang around you may attract some more. Good to hear the female views.

Seamus we do one speed session a week sometimes on the longer run we'll push a bit harder than normal.

Belfast course looks a bit more interesting this year. 14 miles in the morning all beening well. I need to get out after the stress of doing the results at Roe Valley. Good turn out good days racing.

Keep up the training
  • Kenny - I didn't go to Roe Valley this morning.

I did a 20 mile run instead. I was pleased with my run - I did it in 3hrs 10 mins. If I can keep doing the long runs at that pace - I hope to move it up a bit on marathon day.

The best of luck on you 14 miler tomorrow.
  • Hi Seamus thats good going. I have a couple of girls training for London going to see how I feel over the next few weeks before I decide whether to do Belfast. Took us 2.20 to do the 14 miles but felt very tired at the end.

Have you booked the fairy for Stranraer I've been told they will be taking the 20 day trip off on Monday so you should go on line and book as soon as possible
  • Kenny - My brother Terence is booking it - I must give him a call.

Sometimes its hard to get going on a long run - I find if you start at a brisk pace you can keep that going.

On other times I start slowly and end up going slower.
  • where does one start, i suppose by grovelling to TT, never mean to offend :-)

Seamus the speed and hill work are the hard grind, teh long slow is the bread and butter and the rest is, well rest. All are just as important. Learning that and sticking to it helped me no ends. did a good 8x800m at 10km pace with 2 min jogs and 30 min of Kenyan hills this week. The long run got messed up, had to work today so only 8.5M at 6.50 m/m pace.

Hope to be on form for Stranraer, intend to bring a few with me. dont know if the Senior entry got sent by the club, will have to check tomorrow.
  • Is there a reduced rate on the Stena line fot the half- marathoners?
  • Seamus we got booked on Firday night at a special rate for foot passengers (£20) which Karen Brownlie told me to use the link has now be taken of the Stennaline site. Try giving them a ring to see what they have to offer.
  • Thanks Kenny - Terence has it booked today - thanks for the tip off, otherwise we may have had to pay double that fare later.

I'm taking a rest day today. I'll try a 5 miler tomorrow.
  • Good to hear that you got sorted Seamus. Rested today I find it hard to run the ady after a long run. Hill session tomorrow night.
  • Hello All and Turtle Toes. Havn't been running recently at all due to family commitments. So hard to fit everything in this time of year with the dark nights especially when mum not well, working full time, demanding baby, teenager (coming up to GCSEs) hard working husband to tend for, housework etc. But I have been working out most nights in the gym, usually when the house is quiet after 9pm so I think I have maintained a certain amount of fitness. I am hoping to get out for my first run this Friday prob only 2 mile or so. Really looking forward to the bright evenings when I can go out for a run immediately after work. Was still logging on to see how youse were all doing, well done everyone.
  • Good to hear from you again ladyluck. The amount of work you are doing I am surprised you have any energy left to go to the gym. I think everyone is looking forward to the bright evenings. Take it easy if you havn't ran for a will you don't want to get injured again.
  • can't wait until bright evenings either, cooked the tea tonight in semi dyalight and felt very excited about that!

Hello Ladyluck glad to have other another female on board here and who suffers from the same problems as me i.e. running post rugrat time, hard working husband and job to boot!

Keep postponing serious hill/speedwork until light evenings.

By the way does anybody know what the Albertville 5 miler is like around the picturesque Duncrue?