Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• TT, albertville 5 is quick, flat and bloody boring running around the less than scenic duncrue, usually all abilities though. Am also for my anual trip to Stranraer half.

The family thing is hard, i tend to lie through my teeth and tell my beloved i have to work late, then run and drive home with dirty body (cant smell of soap) with windows down to cool off, lest she cottons on!!!

steady 8 last night in 1hr and a brisk 3 at 6.20m/m pace with 1m WU and CD tonight. starting to feel ok again, that will all change after a wee jaunt at the senior on sat!!!
  • Baldy plenty of rain last night to soften the course up for Saturday. I will not be running it this year but will do a few laps on Friday lunch time just to make sure its well cut up for Saturday. Be down to watch see you then.

I've never ran Albertville but everyone says its a fast flat course but I prefer the countryside to running round an industrial estate will see enough of it if I do the marathon. Will miss it again this year as I will be in Stranraer.

When you have family it makes it that bit more difficult to fit in running I do some of my training at lunch time and get up early Sunday mornings when everyone is still in bed to do my long runs.

• Hello all - managed two short (30min) runs yesterday and today - the first without injury since Dublin mara in October!

Fitness level low, weight gain high, time before Belfast mara short......but we'll see how it goes. Glad everyone else is ticking along nicely.

• Out for a gentle 5/6 later with the dog, bit of a relaxer for tomorrows wee jog!!!

hard day yesterday, 5x1000m with a 1.30 jog, tough going. Must try harder. On for 16 steady on sun.
  • Hi everyone went out and did a slow 15 miles this morning. Not feeling the best at the moment plugging away hoping things will get better. Weather a lot better than the forecast.

Two good races yesterday at Coleraine but not baldy maybe he was scared of getting hos hair tossed in the wind. Plenty of girls from North Down who ran well to finish forth ladies team just missing the bronze medals.

I know how you feel Chris since I've had treatment on my thyroid I am putting on about 2 lbs a week. Chris its about 11 weeks to the marathon, time is short but you have until the 7 April to enter Belfast before they put the price up. If you don't make it there's always Lisburn half to look forward to. Good luck with the training and weight loss.

Hows everyone getting on.
    Ladyluck did you get out on Friday? How you getting on with the hills Turtletoes?
    Seamus are you going to Connemara?
  • Hope you is briging yer armbands to stranraer Kenny!!!

Unfortunately that work thing appened again and had to spend a couple of hours fixing the world, funny i am sposed to be on holiday for a week!!!

Did a hilly 6 instead to keep the dog company, then a steady 15 today in 1.43. Legs feel heavy, but after yesterday and on a hilly route in breezy conditions was happy enough.

Will be running with them there girlies tomorrow, hope they are still feeling university hill.

They are reallycoming on well, 4 years ago i was the youngest of 9/10 men in the club road runners, now we have 35 min on a mon night of which nearly half are girls. They are a great advert for the sport and the North Down Club.
  • Hi Kenny and Baldy - Good to hear you're both training away.

Kenny - Sometimes its hard to get going on the long runs - I did 13 miles on Saturday in a slow 2hrs 8.5 mins.

Yes I'll be going to Connemara onSunday March 26. Its a tough marathon - but the scenery is great - its my favourite marathon - my best time on it is 4hrs 16 mins. I would like to improve on that.

I've been training less this year - I think I overtrained last year as on the morning of marathons I felt sluggish.

Baldy 1.43 for 15 miles is very good running. Some day I would love to run a 1.43 half marathon - but I don't think it will ever happen - I'll settle for a 1.48.

I'm looking forward to Stranraer
  • Hello Kenny, Turtle Toes, Baldy, Chris, Seamus and all. Done my first 2 mile run, no problems at all thank god. Felt strong but did not want to push it any further as first run in months. Been cross training last 2 nights so going to go for another run tonight although will have to be running machine which I absolutely hate. For some reason I seem to get more injuries on the running machine than anywhere else that is why I have not been running through winter months. Think I will invest in new pair of trainers as well which are well overdue. Any recommendations from anyone? Been wearing a neautral shoe (Saucony) with custom made orthodics. Can't wear anything too cushioned as I suffer with tight calfs and cushioned shoes kill me.
  • Hi all. Does anyone know a good sports physio in Belfast, Lisburn or surrounding areas? I don't have any specific injuries but I feel as flexible as a board and would like to do something about it before I slow down any more (or get injured)! I'm building up my mileage but I think speed training is the main culprit.
  • Hi Ladyluck I am not a big fan of the treadmills I find it very difficult to get into a comfortable stride much rather be outside in the cold and wet. Build the miles up slowly even if you feel you could go further. With the orthodics you could wear any neutral shoe. I tend yo stick with a shoe if I get one that suits me and don't change for the sake of change.

Hi ElleRS don't know of any Physios in that area maybe Baldy coul help. I do plenty of stretching, at least half an hour each day, and a pilates class once a week to try and build up my core and improve my flexability. Make sure you stretch well before and after you runs to see it that helps. If you know someone in a local running club they will probably know whose best in the area or yell.com and see if anyone comes up. Sorry I can't be of more help but anyone one I know would be too far away.
  • Hello all. Done 30 mins on cross trainer last night and 2.5 miles on running machine. Felt strong and was again tempted to run on. I know this is why I get injured sometimes, I dont know when to stop. Hi ElleRS. When I lived in Belfast I attended Dundonald Physio and Sports Injury Clinic. I found them to be very good although if you are just going for a sports massage I would imagine any local physio to you would probably do. Think you are right Kenny about the shoes. Think I will prob just get another pair of what I have. They seem to be as good as any. Hope your feeling well. Are you still getting treatment for your thyroid? Does this tire you out any? Hope everyone else is well.
  • Hi ladyluck I had radioactive iodine treatment before Christmas thyroid has now gone underactive. I started thyroxine last week which I'll have to take for the rest of my life. It will take time to get stabilised but my stomach has been giving me trouble since I started may take a little while to get used to the tablets. Just have to think of food at the moment to put on weight. I get tired easy but you just have to keep going will be happy just to get back to normal.

Stick at the training and maybe see you at the Bridges this year.
  • It will take a while for your body to get used to the tablets but hopefully things will settle soon. You are a great inspiration though, you never ever give up on things. I am secretly hoping to do the bridges, injuries permitting but you never know. I am just going to try and discipline myself to listening more to my body and not my head. Keep fingers crossed. ps what date is the bridges?
  • The bridges is on Thursday 27 June plenty of time to get the miles built up.
  • ElleRS, have friend at club, Debbie Matchet, shes a physio in Gilnahirk, understands runners, which is a good start. Dundonald clinic is in summerhill avenue, Apex me thinks.

Lady luck, why not try a load out for free. Up and running in belfast, wellington place, opposite inst is the bees knees. They will look at you on a treadmill, let you try out and give you great after care. Manager is a runner as are all the staff so they know what it is to be fussy and want to get things right. Give yourself a bit of time and see what they have to say, they know their bacon!!

Training going farirly well again, good speed session today if there is such a thing, 12x400m with 40 secs rest.

Hope this wind and rain goes, planning a stead 10 tomorrow!!!
  • Baldy, Kenny, ladyluck,ElleRS and Co - I hope your training is going well.

Kenny I hope your body gets used to the new medication. You are a dedicated fellow to keep at the training.

I've a bit of a cold at the moment and won't be doing much this week.
  • Got the sniffles today so lots of Vit C being eaten. Enforced rest day today so 10M tomorrow morning before coffee and a cinamon scone in Holywood!!
  • is anyone on this site doing the great north run this year?

just trying to book flights and eayjet an i can get a flight to newcastle on the 30th september but they dont seem to have flights returning to belfast on the 2nd October
  • Hi Calypso they havn't released the flights for October yet. My sister booked her flight to Newcastle before they go up in price and will book return flight when they become available. I didn't get in the first ballot waiting to see if I get in on the next ballot. Have you done the GNR before?

Hi Baldy sniffing a bit myself this morning hard to avoid this weather we got a bad soaking on Tuesday night doing our hill session. 30 mins of hills work the hill jog recovery for 30 mins good session provided you pace it right. The forecast for this evening looks like we're in for another soaking.

Seamus I'm looking forward to Stranraer Half I ahve been doing my long runs a bit slower than usual as I am training with a group for the marathon but getting the miles in will be interesting to see how thia pans out in the half. I find that if I keep plugging away when the medication kicks in you suddenly find yourself running a lot better.
  • Thanks Baldy, going to try and get up next Friday to Up & Running. Will let you know how it goes. Few of my family off work at the mo with a real bad dose of the flu. Keeping well away from them and starting to taking Vit C just in case. Going to go for a 3 mile run tonight and a 30 mins session on the cross trainer. The addiction is starting to kick in again, love it. Hello Calypso, done the GNR last year and loved every single second of it. Such a buzz especially the chanting uggy uggy uggy on the way round. Hope everyone else is keeping well.
  • Hello everybody - Today was a beautiful day for running. It was very foggy in the lower lands, but up at Lough Fea it looked like a spring day, the sun was beaming down. about 30 runners ran twice around Lough Fea. It must be one of the nicest settings for a run of 5.25 miles.

Although it looked like spring the temperature was only 2 degrees C.

Hows all your training going? - I was glad to get out again after a week off with the cold.
  • Hi Seamus I am lucky so far to miss the cold maybe its the radioactivety still inside me that doing the business. It's been very cold the last couple of days but its dry no wind and in colour when the sun comes out. We ran 16.4 on Saturday I felt strong at the end as we finished up the last three miles of he Riada 5 run. Went out and ran another 8.7 this morning and went a lot better than I expected. Looking forward to Stranraer a few of the little niggles I have been carrying seem to be clearing up the long runs seem to be helping.
    Keepup the training.
  • Sniffles gone!!

steady 17 today in 1.59 so some form is coming back. Hard to get going as it was soooooo cold, but fairly happy in the end.

Civil service XC this weekend and a good 20 on sun, bring on stranraer!!
  • Well Kenny and Baldy - You're are both doing well. Its great to be out running.

I did a 20 mile run today, but I was very tired in the last 5 miles as I ran a quick 5 miles yeaterday.

Its great to get the long runs over with.
  • Well done yesterday Baldy you had a good run and a couple of good pics of you on the North Down site.
    I had a terrible run after the first lap I was struggling so much I just used it as a training run. Tempted to pull out but I give other people a hard time for doing that in races so I had to battle on picked up a bit on the last lap but about 4.15 slower than last year.
    Early start this morning as we went out and did 18 miles lovely day but a cold wind blowing. No great pace but I could so easily have rolled over and stayed in bed.
    Looking forward to Stranraer on Saturday got my race number yesterday (240). May have to use it as a training run if I feel like I did yesterday. Baldy I wasn't joking when I said the Ferry was fully booked but you can try and see.
  • Kenny, guy from club got booked on yesterday morning!!! will keep fingers crossed. had not too bad run, bit one paced and heavy legs form hard weeks training.

did 20.5 today in 2.23, bloody hard going, twas more than a cold breeze, freezing and windy!!! Wish i had rolled over, nice and warm adn cosey. Still not a bad pace and time although i did choose the hilliest of my routes - fool!!

keep it up seamus.
  • Well Kenny, what is it they say about best laid plans, went on net on sun and could have booked at £42. so left it and tried on mon thru work, fully booked as you said. P&O full too. Can go from larne at 415am and find somewhere to sleep or night b4 and find b&b. Either way mrs b will make me pay!! Am trying thru work to get on on sat (no point having friends if you cant use em). keep fingers crossed.

managed recovery run at work yesterday followed by club run last night so took today off. back to morrow with a pyramid speed session, arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
  • Baldy - I hope you get on the boat. Your training is going very well.

I ran 10 miles this evening - its good to have a long run completed on a cold night like tonight.

Stranraer may be snowbound on Saturday.

Kenny - I hope your training is going well.
  • Very cold out there did a slow 5 miles in the snow last night. Need to get the thermals out for Saturday.
    Struggling a bit at the moment Seamus but will keep plugging away.
    Baldy I sent you an email I hope you got it
  • Seamus Stranraer has been cancelled I phoned Stennaline and told them I had been booked to go to the half marathon and they refunded my money. They said I could go on and rebook when the new date was arranged.
    It has been snowing in Stranraer for most of the day.