Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Good to see you with a smile on the face Jim you haven't had much to smile about this season.

Just over 12 miles this morning another great day for running.

Well done everyone who raced yesterday some excellent times recorded.

• Jim, Glad to get that long run in the bank not the best with a cold. I was fit for very little after but did enjoy the liverpool result as it keeps the title more interesting.

I must agree with KB you have not smiled must this season I just thought it was normal LOL   image

• It burns

Good to see some of you guys at Albertville.

Leek good time from you - you talked about hamstring trouble pre christmas when I last spoke to you - you recovered from it now?

Mags I get paid to be a nerd so I have an excuse unlike some othersimage

While I shouldn't laugh when Liverpool win it is mildly amusing to see Man United have a crisis and Fergie avoid press etc.

• Thanks guys-nice to get racing shoes on again.Enjoyed the run out and happy to go under 31 mins.My two masters club mates set big PBs-but few seconds slower on the official result! Nice photos TG-u the North club photo nerd? Perhaps HMM could pick up a few tips and video at a raceimage

Good to c u Ryan-back to health-and C75 in photo shoot.

As KB says-the title race is wide open again-come on the Arsenal.

Only 8 weeks to the BCM-keep her lit! Rodney

• Just a one off BBT. Worth it to get shots like that though image

Good to see you back racing.

• HMM thats the way i look when i finish behind you in races image

• Lol, I'd not be expecting too many 4:30 runners- they'll all be petrified!!! Drill Sgt Moore!
  • Jim - with the amount of running you're doing at the moment - the chances of me being in front of you ever again are slim.
  • With the exception of HMM the rest of the pacers all look like astronauts ready to go on a mission.
  • Spacers you mean Mags image Last year the pacers could finish @ mile 20. Is that the same this year?
  • I think so, but being encouraged to go the full distance.

BBT - Albertville watches also managed to find four seconds on my watch time. Not happy. Especially as it went from 26.56 to 27.00.

Some good lookin' astronauts on that website Mags. image

• Oh absolutely C75.  If I wasn't doing London this year i would be tempted to do Belfast just to run alongside one of you guys.image
  • tommygunn wrote (see)

Leek good time from you - you talked about hamstring trouble pre christmas when I last spoke to you - you recovered from it now?

Thanks TG, well pleased with the time.

Hamstring still a bit tight and weak but have been able to manage it a bit better.

Over the last few weeks, i have been incorporating some strengthening exercises into my training and I'm hoping this will help the hamstring.

Does anyone here do strengthening or circuits as part of their program?

• Howmanyminutes?!? wrote (see)
    Jim - with the amount of running you're doing at the moment - the chances of me being in front of you ever again are slim.
    HMM i see you still at the old mind games them image Got a nice 8 mile run done last night with the club last night great evening for a run enjoyed it and enjoyed giving the UTD men loads of stick even more imageMags do Belfast as well loads you have loads of time to recover from London image
  • Got 12 miles done last night. 1 mile warm up, 10 miles at MP and 1 mile warm down. Leg was fine last night but was sore this morning. I slept in and only had time to do a short run this morning, and as leg was sore I only did 2 miles. Probably too soon after last nights run.

• Leek we have a core class once a week in the club. To strengthen hamstrings there's an exercise called the bridge. If you develop it to do one legged bridges it would strengthen your hamstrings. Check out youtube - there are a lot of good links. Planks / bridges / press ups / sit ups / squats are good for this sort of stuffand easy enough to do.

Iny my view core / strengthening work is an essential part of a running program...

•  Jim, Like the new manly stern look. The 4:30 BM runners will be putty in your hands. How could they not all run PB's with you as their Drill Sgt pacer.  image

I see HMM goes for the casual Mr Nice guy look, you make a great double act. Hopefully I do not see it as I have finished and the wheels do not come off like last year. image

See you on Sunday I up for 20 miles what is the club doing?

Rodney what time are you looking for at Belfast?

• Tommygunn, How often do you do core training as I have hamstring issues and stretching helps but on long runs over 15miles it seems to tighten. Can you suggest any specific stretch or exercise as I am hoping to complete Belfast this year?

Thanks

John

• John, training to a sub 3 schedule and if I don't get it my coach will be in trouble.image. Hoping for the sub 3 but an improvement on 3.05 from last year will be ok. 

I know I would benefit from core exercises but with running 6 days a week it is hard to find time and the motivation to do this.

• That is why I asked the question to TG as I am on a 6 day schedule also and need my recovery time.

I have seen a vast improvement from last year on this schedule but I am still worried of leg cramps or hamstring problems.

Rodney Sub 3 is good going are you running with the Pacers or doing your own thing?

• John-most runners go through a routine of stretches AFTER a run.Hold stretch for 30 seconds each side-hamstring-quad-calf-adductor-itband-piriformis(often tight in runners)-hip flexor and glute.(take 5-10 mins).

Stick at the routine and the benefits will be fewer injuriesimage A visit to a physio might be a good idea a few weeks before your marathon. Good luck.

• Entry forms now out image for this years 24hr track race come on Robin and me can't be the only two headcases on here  image
  • BBT thanks I will take that on board as I know I am lazy with my warm downs and stretches.
  • John, I will use the pace group if I find them. Was with the 3hr group last year from mile 6 to 17 and then realised I needed to drop off a bit or i would miss out on a PB. It does help if you get into the group though as it takes a bit of pressure off knowing that they are all aiming for the same time.

I do around 5 - 10 minutes of stretching after most runs but at times end up rushing on without doing them. They do really help though.

• John getting a routine going after a run is key especially if you haven't got one. Important thing to remember about hamstring - hamstring stretching on it's own isn't good enough. Lower back and glutes are a must.

Post run and if you take a rest day stretch on it.

I take it you run with Ballymena? If so I'd have a word with a few of those guys. Stretching hard to describe... Google images is good for seeing stretches in action though.

• entry for the 24 hour race sent awayimage

john I now stretch more after runs than i use to and certainly not as stiff and had no injuries for a while. I need to keep varying the routine to keep me motivated

• TG thanks I looked at the links very interesting. I now found out how unsupple I really am. Ahh well I  will keep at it, the new trainers arrived so I am itching to go out for a run.

Thanks to you all for the advise much appreciated.

kind Regardsimage

John

• Hi John I do a stretchintg program first thing in the morning. 10 mins on the exercise bike and about 15 mins stretching. I get up half an hour earlier than I used to. I have been doing this for a few years and fijnd it helps especially as I get older. I also do a pilates class once a week which helps.

Hill session last night. 30 min hills working up the hill jog recovery. Tough wee session. a bit of a change in the weather will have to get the winter gear back out.

• Kenneth, Yes I have tried stretching now in the mornings, early days so still feeling very stiff and not very supple. I hear pilates are good but I do not think I have the time to fit them in as I train 6 days and travel to UK a lot with work.

I know the rain caught me out and I got soaked not good just starting to enjoy runs in shorts and vest again. New trainers got broke in though seem good, wont make me run any faster though. image