Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Going to try the Omagh half tomorrow but not under the best circumstances image
  • Indo77 - Why?  What are not the best circumstances? 

I'm going along to spectate, so say hello anyone who recognises me without a club vest. 

Good luck to those running.

• Good luck to all at Omagh today- hope the wind isn't to much of a factor! Saving it for TQ10K next week.
  • Good luck everyone at Omagh - looking forward to yhe race reports.
  • Back from Omagh great day and managed to stick to my plan improved by 7 minutes so happy with my Belfast training. Weather held out and traffic was not too bad a pain at times when crossing roads.

Sorry I never saw any of the Forum spectators too busy trying to finish strong, in my head I did but reality was probably not.

Big final week next week 56 miles to run and then starting to Taper.

• Well done John on your 7 minute PB. Looking good for Belfast now.

I got 20 .4 miles done this morning averaging 7.44 pace. Happy with this as I was tired right from the start with 44 miles already done this week.  My biggest mileage ever  for a week and glad all the big miles will finish next weekend.

• good running in omagh by everyone , john the training is going to plan, roll on belfast for you.

rodney cant be too many long runs left for you , try not over do it now

Ran 16 miles with jim and ian this morning and they were going on to do 22 miles. legs felt heavy but roll on london now as i am starting to read too much into twinges i feel.

Im not political as i am a blow in from scotland but felt a wave of disgust at that killing in omagh. I wish we could get rid of this past.

• I'm with you on all the above Robin (and a fellow blow-in).

A very sad day for the people of Omagh on what should have been a day of celebration.

I ran 15 this morning with very heavy legs.  I have to say that this morning's run has been the hardest so far this year.  The first 9 miles weren't too bad, but the last 6 were tough.  I'm definitely going to take it easier next week.  

• Summer Interval Training

Ballymena Runners wish to invite all of our forumite friends to our Summer track sessions. The sessions are aimed at everyone wishing to improve their race times and are suitable for ALL levels of running ability. The session will be led by a qualified coach and will take place on the following Wednesay evenings between 7pm + 8pm. Full changing + refreshment facilities will be available.

The venue is the athletics track @ Antrim forum and the dates are:

Wednesdays 7-8pm from 11th May-8th June.

A small fee of £2 is payable on the night of each session.
  • Well done everyone who ran yesterday. What did you think of the new course. As Mags and Robin have already mentioned another sad ady for Omagh.

13 Miles this morning cold wind at the start but warmed up before the rain came.

Good night for Springwell at the Limavady Sports Council Awards on Friday evening. The Bridges won event of the year and young Sally Brown got two awards.

• Kenny - that's great news about 'The Bridges'.  Well done. I have to say, if I had had anything to do with it, it would have got my vote.

By the way John McG - I think that I saw you finish yesterday.  I was waiting to cheer in a couple of our runners who were due to finish about the same time and i remember noticing a Ballymena Runner who I didn't recognise.  And yes, you did look strongimage It wasn't in your head.

• KB -  never ran Omagh before so cannot compare but new course is pretty fair .

Definately a PB course  ( which I did not get - 30 secs outside.image )  It does undulate but no major hills of any note.   some long stretches in the wind yesterday.

I was happy enough with my time but should have been at least a minute quicker. Struggled badly at mile 9 for no particular reason , then recovered for 2 miles but faded again on the last 2 mile into the breeze but generally down hill .  HR was a bit higher than normal and I just could not get any power in the legs.  So reasonably happy with the time ( 1:25:14) but not with the performance - if that makes senseimage

Well done to the other runners.

• Well down to all who ran omagh some good times

Got a great 22 miles in yesterday morning over a hilly route kept dry until the last mile then we got soaked image

Kenny well done for you and the club much deserved awards dont know anyone who does not like the bridges race

• KB- Well done to you and your club I also enjoy the Bridges as an ex Limavady boy I still try to support the race and it never disappoints.

Mags-Sorry I never noticed you or I would have said hello glad it was not all in my head.

JMcC- I also found the 9 mile stage hard and lost at least a minute and realy only got going at the 11 mile marker again. The wind and climb was probably harder than it looked as I felt the climbs are fair and not too demanding.  I felt the course was very good plenty of climbs but not too tough and no serous down sections that are hard on the knees.

Jim- Well done on the 22 miles I will join you next week and Robin take a well earned rest Taper for you and the rest of the London Marathoners, stay injury free and enjoy the steady count down.

• Are any of you planning to watch the programme on BBC1 tonight, which follows some people getting ready to run BCM. It is on at 7.30pm for the next 5 weeks.  It might be interesting to see how they get on and there will be footage from Larne Half marathon on one of the episodes.

Might train a bit earlier tonight to get back in time to watch it.

• Rodney, Thanks did not know about this will record the series and watch later.
  • TQ10K numbers available via ANI website......

Leek are you and the other Fast Boys not running?

• Lol, Rodney. I'll tune in to that. Stephen Nolan running a marathon? I'd PAY to watch that..

Well done to all who ran @ Omagh. Course change for the better then?

I'm really looking forward to Titanic this Sunday. Love that race..

Hope you all had a good weekend's training.

C75

Ps. Check our club's promo for Park Run. It might not work on your phone but it will play back on your PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVYVUtHSO2U&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • rodney, i heard about that program, but wasnt sure when it was on, ill tune in tonight myself, should be interesting! i think its to do with 6 first time runners?

managed to do my 22 mile run on saturday and go into work after, was extremely tough but taper time now for me...seems a bit earlier than last year i must say but i wont complain!

ill be going along to spectate at titanic, many off the forum doing it this year? would love to run it myself some day but not this year! queens 5k was sharp enough for me, winding down a bit before belfast now!
  • TQ10k for me! image Looking forward too it, hope there's not too much of a crush at the start. Hopefully Gransha and the tempo training has sharpened things up a bit for me. Must confess to being excited at the thought of the road-racing season- got the new schedule listed up this morning and was glad to see the 5ks and trail races!
  • Just looking at up coming events and their entrance costs. Forgive me for highlighting two specific examples ...

For club affliated competitors the Newry Half Marathon is priced at £25 -
    http://www.runireland.com/events/newry-city-marathon-2011

... whilst the same event in Newtownards is £11 cheaper costing £14 -
    http://www.ards-council.gov.uk/leisure-centres/ards-half-marathon/entries.php

I'm sure both sets of organisers will provide the same sort of service - ie chipped times, portable toilets and a "free" t-shirt, etc at their event but why is one over 33% dearer than the other?

Also, and maybe a more valid question, do the governing body NI Athletics, monitor, advise or set any recommendations as to how much events cost?

(In local football, universal admission fees are set by the organising bodies ie IFA, Co Antrim FA etc, therefore for example, Newry City would not be permitted to charge more than a third than say Ards to gain entry to their home games)
  • Lisoider-Not in the same league as the Fast Boys, Messrs Teer and fellow Lisoidian, Venney but thanks any way!

Hope to run Titanic but haven't entered yet, is there entries on the day?

Did you hear about the 55 year old that set a world record for 10k, 31:51, some running. Keith Bateman 

• Yip Leek - entries on day.

Looking at the Link there is hope for all of us allimage.

• AlanB Athletics NI don't monitor entry fees it's up to the race organiser. Our club try to keep the entry fee as low as possible but if you want online entry and chip timing it costs about £3.50 per entry. There maybe other costs involved like hire of premises etc. Sponsorship and the size of the prize fund also comes into it.

• Went out last night to do 1 mile warm up, 10 miles at MP and 1 mile warm down. all was going well up to mile 8 where I felt a pain on left calf. Eased back a bit and seemed ok. At 8.5 miles had to stop for traffic on main road and as soon as I started running again it was too sore.  Had to walk a mile home.image  Couldn't help feeling embarassed when meeting people who probably thought I was just out for a run and felt tired. image

Ice, anti-inflamatories (again) and REST.

Don't know what to expect from marathon now. Sub 3.15 maybe ?

how did everyone elses running go last night ?

• Tapering here now, so expect reports of disappointing runs for the next 10 days....

Rodney - ouch. Sorry you're having a difficult spell. I really think you should consider leaving out ANY faster stuff for a while and get yourself right. Don't think I've posted since Queen's 5k,  - well done on the time, quick enough to count as a 'confidence boost', and certainly I wouldn't have been capable of sub 6m/m. But (and none meant) - to me, you looked jiggered that night. Short striding, not smooth or relaxed. Like a man who really needs a rest.

I assume differing prices are often connected to whether the local BC is part of the event - which it certainly is in Ards.

Saw that Stephen Nolan (plus 8 others) show last night. I suppose we have to remember they're making a light-ent TV show, but if their goal was (and I'm pretty sure it isn't) to get as many people as possible off the sofa and changing lifestyle, then I think they should drop the "blood sweat & tears" approach a bit. I'm sure that frightens people off, thinking that to lose weight and get fit (ish) they need a personal trainer, to get down the gym, do all manner of complex exercises until they drop, go to UUJ and be wired up to Deep Blue, and to have a big goal like a marathon. I'd much rather they showed how easy it can be, and sustainable too if you make it pleasureable (or at least tolerable). The compressed timings (6 months in 4-5 weeks) won't help either. I decided in the shower after my run that I'd have done it as a short, 'real-time' weekly video diary, where someone engaging tells the camera that this week they've been out for 3 x 30min run/walk, not had a takeaway, and lost one pound in weight. Basically repeat for a year. But I don't work in TV though, and am unlikely too, with that pitch.

• PTB, you are probably right. I have been nursing this other injury through and have had 2 weeks of  decreased mileage because of it and although it isn't 100% better it is not hindering my running. Last night was just a tightness but not too concerning until I stopped for the traffic. Have done it with ice and got some voltarol ointment too. Not really painful but I am limping to protect it.  Injury web site says 5 days rest, then ease back into running so, possibly a light run on grass this Saturday and if all goes well I can fit my last long run in early next week.  If I get to that point maybe my mood will change and taper will be the best thing for me.   As for the short stride, i think that is just my running style, but then again by carrying an injury it may have become shorter.  I am now looking forward to 3rd May.

• PTB I would agree about that TV show. To be honest the way to get people off the sofa is not to get them running marathons. Surely they should have smaller goals and work their way up over a year or two but then that wouldn't make as good tv...

I thought Nolan's attitude was pretty poor and they were right, to a point, being harsh on him after swanning up late and looking at his discipline too he definitely needs a kick up the backside if he wishes to run a marathon or even achieve smaller goals. In general they were harsh enough though - especially for first time trainers.

Managed 5 miles yesterday which was a step up for me. Heart rate all over the place yet but getting there.

Rodney take it easy - not long now till marathon and you wouldn't want to jeopadise things. Make sure and ice / stretch plenty.

Agree about race prices Alan - getting ridiculous. We need a "regulator" of race prices in my view. It all seems pretty ad-hoc. If we had a checklist or something saying races requring x, y and z will be this price, races x and y this price etc it would help. Some races need more policing, have bigger prize pots etc. In my view last years Seeley was poor in this regard - people who entered on the day didn't get a time. Where did their money go and if they got a chip what was the point? Things like that shouldn't happen as it cost them plenty of money.

• TG the Seeley was one of the cheaper races last year but a big championship race you think they would get those things right. The problem is the dearer races seem to attract larger entries. You may say it's because there is more prize money but only so many people can get prizes. Money doesn't seem to come into it at the moment. I was talking to someone about the cost of entering Lisburn on the night and they said you be surprised at the number entries they take on the night at the inflated price. Maybe Newry is using the half marathon to subsidise the full marathon.