Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Martin- you are busy alright !

Kenneth- good to hear the spped is coming back image

Physio yesterday not to run for a while yet so will do a bit of cross training instead.image

• Options

Quadrathon was a fantastic event , I really enjoyed it and the craic was brilliant , quite tempted to do the 4 full marathons next year , next Sunday its Donegal Marathon , Kenny and Leslie glad to hear you are both on the mend image

• Options

Well done Martin. Some good pics of you and Mark on Facebook. Good luck in Donegal.

Portrush parkrun done on Saturday followed by 7 miles yesterday. Building the miles up slowly going for 8 next Sunday.

• Options
    andy harris2 wrote (see)

john - massive thumbs up for the kells half marathon today, it was meticulously executed as you have promised, unbelievable value for money at £15 and a great course 

course summed up by a member of larne ac who finished with a decent time, but told me it was the first time they ever walked during an hm, ladyhill road has a lot to answer for

hope to see the event back next year

Andy thanks very much we do plan to do the same course next year. With more funding we hope to offer even better value for money. Thanks for the feedback it was a massive success and we are pleased that we received no negative press only positive, we focused the event around the athletes and it worked image

• Options

I am not dead! Just havent had a lot of time to post on here so heres a little update! After completing the marathon I joined a running club and I am enjoying being part of one. However after finishing the marathon I have been on a very steady decline as I had nothing to aim for.  My miles dropped to nothing bar what I was doing in the club and pace, which I didnt really have to start with!, as dropped as well. Neither is really surprising.  I continued to enter races and I was only using what I had built up during my marathon training and the ticking over at the club.  I have only started in the last 4 weeks doing my extra runs and Im entered into the half.  I am surprised I was able to get up to 10 mile mark without much bother, touch wood!, considering my long runs were just some 10ks I was in for.

Also I believe I learned a valuable lesson.  If you get a pair of shoes which work for you don't change them.  I got myself a pair of Saucony and I started getting some niggly wee complaints.  Nothing major but lots of wee niggles went back to my old pair of trainers and so far everything is ok.  Just ordered a new pair of them.

On Sunday I did a a little trial for the Half by following the pacer at the Storm the Castle 10k.  I am trying to learn from my mistakes from the full marathon and seemed to work Ok. The race itself was good and enjoyable a couple of small wee niggles which can be worked out.  The kids race organisation ( got my kids running) could of been better.  I totally get it was free but a fair number of the kids didnt get a medal.  Two of my kids didnt get one and one of them had finished a good 2 - 3 minutes before the one who got the medal.  The kids loved the race and the burger at the end just a slight niggle. For the 10k race I think the route at the very start could be a bit better as after the start line it funnels into a small path for the amount of runners. Bar those two small issues the race was brilliant and the stratosphere was good and all the activities and having the Castle open just made a superb family day out.

Looking forward to Laganside 10k now the kids are running that too.  

Sorry if I rambled on too much!

• Options

Great to hear from you again, one2escape. We missed you! All I've done myself recently too has been a couple of 10ks, and I also quite fancy the Belfast half marathon if I can get the mileage up enough over the next few weeks to allow me to potter around it. I know how you feel about the lack of a focus when a marathon is over, and I miss the long training runs for getting the 'head showered'. But there's so much more than the roads out there to spice things up again. For example,there will be quite a few trail races coming up from November over the Winter.

I couldn't do 'Storming the Castle' on Sunday but I had wondered about that start at the leisure centre. It's ok for the parkrun but the path is too narrow for the numbers in a race. Still, I hear Seapark put on a great event.

All the best for Laganside.

• Options
    Hello folks. Agree with Paul 12e etc tbat no Autumn mara means a distinct lack of 'proper'long runs. Beung doing loads of Sunday am 1.5-2hr runs on Cway etc including half course.

Decided to go bit longer yest am and did just over 2.5 hrs in Glens. Head well showered more of the same b4 _weekly) i reckon.

First need to make eejit of myself at stenaline tri.
  • Options

Cheers guys.  Looking forward till I get my rejection letter (but hopefully accepted) for London as I want to start to get a good plan going forward. Plan was initially to do Belfast again but may look further afield if I get rejected.  Theres a few races I want to do next year but top of the list is the Larne half and the Titanic 10k.

• Options

Donegal Marathon done nice and slowly I've never seen rain like it , Rathlin 10 miler on Saturday past , great course in a fantastic place, well done Peter on the 5k, not much running this week as i'm up to my eyes in work, next week I'm off to the GNR which is guaranteed to be a spectacle then its a 2 week taper to the Causeway, Septembers a busy month image

• Options

One2E-glad you are still with us image

Paul D -get some races booked image

HMM-nice long runs.

Martin-I saw the start pics Donegal start looked grim image

still busted here and a running ban on from the Physio for a couple more months but sneaked a 2k funrun in with my 8 year old today and she had a great time image

• Options

Did Laganside yesterday and it brought back horrible memories of where I died during the marathon.  Enjoyed the day unhappy with my time though image Well organised and a good flat course.  Kids race was good and all the kids got a medal this time.  Main race was good still need help with my pacing.  Went out to fast and was with some of my club mates and where asking why was I way up there! Slowed down a bit and finished within my goal time.  I know I could of pushed a bit more at the end so thats why Im a little unhappy.

After the Belfast Half its down to business to get my times away away down. Wanting to knock a good lot of time of 10k pace by the time Titanic 10k comes around! I know I have the pace its a case of maintaining it for longer and the whole way round. 

• Options
    Ok, ok, Leslie. I've entered the Belfast half and the Murlough GR8. It won't be pretty though.

HMM - I can't contain myself any longer. Did you enjoy the Stenaline triathlon? Will you do another one?
  • Options
    Nice one Paul.
  • Options

Hi everyone I haven't been on in a while. I have been trying to race my way back to fitness. I have done the Acorns 5K, Run 'n the Bann 5K and Laganside 10K along with the parkrun on a Saturday morning. I'm happy with my progress but would like more. I'm now back up to 10 miles on a Sunday morning so will continue this and see how it goes.

Some good running there folks. I agree you need something to focus your training on.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

• Options

Good luck Paul.  Good to be back running Ken!

Did the Enniskillen Park Run at the weekend and got a new PB for the 5k. With that time I have sneaked into the top 50% which I am happy with. My target is to knock another just over another minute of it to get it under 25 mins.  Thats my goal to hit early next year.

All eyes are focused for Sundays half. Did a real good 10 mile run on Wednesday last week which would was about 5 - 10 minutes faster than my goal time which is 2:15 and was reasonably comfortable the whole time. My original plan was to stick with the 2:15 pacer and maybe go a bit quicker the last 2 miles or so.  Tempted to change and run at my own pace but Im rubbish at pacing or go with the 2 hour pacer for as long as I can.  Decisions Decisions 

• Options

Did the Belfast Half and managed to knock off nearly 10 minutes since Larne. Need to get another 5 off for Larne next year to sub 2 hours.  

Good event but my only issue was the start. While its good see Mags twice early in the race going through the park twice was a little cramped and felt a bit like a false start.  There were some interesting views in the park as there were quite a number of men watering the trees. This may of been done to the lack of toilets at the start it was that bad there was a queue for the bushes! 

It took me until the fourth mile to find my stride.  I missed the 2 hour pacer as I couldn't get close enough to them at the beginning and the 215 I didnt see them after I started running which is a positive.  Im not sure if I could of kept up with the 2 hour pacer at the start as it seems it takes me a good couple of miles to get going usually running to fast and then finding my right tempo.

After you left the park it was a run to Victoria park and a 3/4 of lap of there park run course.  There was an interesting run over the bridge in Victoria Park. With so many runners on it started swaying and made you feel jelly legged.  With that the race was basically half done as we heading back into Belfast City center and a personally found the second half of the course a lot better than the first.

Firstly we actually got bottles of energy drinks! More importantly after we passed the SSE Arenaimage there was a lot more supporters on the road.  Really enjoyed running through the town center and then up the Falls road and it felt the miles were dropping really quick then.  Felt I conquered some of my demons from the marathon as I managed to run the Ormeau towpath easily and then was the run to home.

It was through the park again! As a lot of didnt look at the map properly we thought we thought we were on the home straight but unfortunately we were not. We needed to run out of the park and onto the embankment again.  Some of us had sped up thinking we were hitting home so it was a tiny downer but were picked up again when the finish was in sight.  

Overall I enjoyed the half the first half could of been better but its no way the worse race I have ran this year. I think I actually prefer the less high profile races like the club races. I have learned a lot of lessons throughout the year and will continue too.  I pushed myself to hard at the beginning and wrecked myself to do the marathon.  It has in real terms it took me 4 months to recover from it and only since end of August I have started really training and running. In my head I was really under prepared for yesterday and should of had a couple more longer runs done but cest la vie . I should of really made yesterdays race my first Half marathon but we live and learn. 

• Options

Good to hear your report of the race yesterday One2Escape, and good to see that you are back running again. Congratulations on the big PB image.   You'll have no problem getting that sub 2 by Larne - you're in a great club with some sound coaches, so just follow the advice that they give you.

As for not knowing the course properly - you weren't alone there.  There had been a late change to the course and it caused a lot of confusion, particularly at the start.  Despite the big blue gantry and the start line being set up on the Embankment quite a few runners refused to believe that the run wasn't actually starting inside the park.

Good to see a lot of the other forumites too yesterday, with a special shout to the fantastic Paul Brannigan.

• Options

Mags, you embarrass me. I saw 3000 other people out there on Sunday pushing themselves to their limits. 

Congratulations on your pb, One2escape. Your reports are always very interesting. Marathons can be overrated and I've got just as much fun out of doing shorter races, especially the trail races or ones in places I've never been to before such as Rathlin Island or the Dark Hedges.

I got a massive pw on Sunday with a finish time of 2.26, but didn't mind at all. I hadn't been able to train for it and only took part to soak in the atmosphere. The last few miles were hard going, but it was well worth it. One of the things I love about running as a sport is that you don't ever 'lose', as long as you finish and did your best. Like when people shout out that you're 'doing well', even though you know you're not, but you still really appreciate the support. It was superbly organised, as ever, and the support along the way was fantastic. Best of all was seeing friends again, especially Mags for one of her legendary hugs!

• Options

Hi everyone, I started running just under a year ago and completed the Belfast half at the weekend(my first) in 1:37.  I found it very tough from around the 7 mile mark with pain in both knees and hips, Monday I could just about walk.  I really want to complete a full race but am worried I'll never be physically able.  Would long run training do away with the pains or should I just settle with 10k s .

congrats everyone who took part on sun it was amazing, especially through the shopping area and early morn shoppers

• Options

One2E- nice half pb and every day is a school day for running image

Gordy-very good first half timeimage ,if you mean could you ever do a full marathon then sure you could ...with the right training ..if you are young(ish) you can get away with a half on very little training I found but the marathon is a whole different matter ! image

Physio/walking and other boring stuff here with zero running !

• Options

Good man Leslie image

Mr Brannigan I'm speechless as alwaysimage

Well done One2e

Gordy a marathon is very doable with the right training and long runs check out Hal Higdons beginner and Intermediate 18 week plans for Marathon that'll give you a fair idea

Causeway Ultra for me tomorrow, finishing will be my 40 mile PB , I'll keep yous posted

• Options
    Martin - you speechless? Never!

You're getting perfect weather for the ultra tomorrow. Best of luck, but I know you and Mark will be fine. I can just see you making up your Veda sandwiches in the morning. I wish I could join you for the 1st 13 miles, but not so sure about the rest of it ????.
  • Options

Martin- 40 miles image good luck with that and the new pb !image

• Options
    Paul - loved the tri. Will do Roe Valley b4 starting Ironman training image

Martin well done y'day. Thanks for saying hello - at least think it was you near rocks. I sort of get zoned out when racing. Hope i didnt barge on throughimage
  • Options

HMM - good to see you as you flew past me on your way to a cracking Causeway HM time. I had a a great time plodding round the marathon course again and it was fantastic to get back through the cave at Portbraddan again, cutting out the road section.

Big shout out to ultra-runner Martin - I can only begin to imagine how tough the ultra is on that course, starting the marathon route with a half already in your legs. It was an honour to share that orange and cinnamon scented man-hug as our paths crossed! I can't believe you're already talking about next year's Mourne Way Ultra! 

• Options
    Donald you're too kind, buggered my knee at about 17 miles, made the next 23 an interesting journey ????

Peter it 'twas indeed I , you looked sharp , well done ????

Resting up now , 20 days to Amsterdam Marathon
  • Options
    Just got a ballot place for London, WooHoo !!!????
  • Options

Congrats Martin on both the Ultra and London place.  Im waiting on my rejection from London hopefully find out today.  Its the hope which is the worse!

Im done for the Level 1 Athletics course for the weekend will be interesting.

• Options

Congratulations Martin. I got my rejection yesterday - 5th year in a row. My alternatives now are either  1) to go for a charity place, which I am not keen on as the marathon organisers collect such a large slice of the funds raised, or 2) go through Sports Travel International, who provide the full package of race entry, travel & accommodation, but charge almost £1000 now for it.

Mmmm.... My interest is rapidly waning.

• Options

Booooo Paul , must admit I never fancied the alternatives much either , Manchester is supposed to be great and flat, 2 Belfasts was enough for me , Walled city is excellent or you could join me for a little dalliance around the Mournes image