Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Leslie, good you are back out in the fresh air. Walking is a great exercise anyway for starting you on the road back to fitness. Did anyone watch 'ASICS Beat the Sun', which was on CH4 last Sunday?  This was the 2nd year of the event, which is a 150km race with 8370m of climbing through the trails around Mont Blanc. This year there were 5 teams, starting at sunrise and required to finish by sunset, which was a time of only 15hrs 41mins. Amazing athletes! On the flat sections they were running at 5mins/mile pace. On the higher sections they were running on rocks & snow. I'll not spoil it but, at the finish, there was only a matter of metres between 1st & 2nd. It's still on 4oD and well worth a look if you missed it.

• hi guys. Just did my second born to run events and not really impressed with them. Over hyped races with a over priced cost attached. The only good thing about them is the medal. Glad I didnt but the lot in one go which I was tempted too.  Preferred the East Antrim trail series. 

Hope you get running soon Leslie. 

• Paul-15hr that sounds tough all right never mind 5 min/mile pace !

On2E- Plenty of races to choose from next year image

• Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Training 4-5 times a week at the moment and enjoying my running.

• Merry Christmas all image  Hopefully see some of you at a race next year image

• That time of year again folks. Hard to believe soon be 10 years since 1st posting on here.

Well - 2015 highlightslow points?

2016 - running targets/goals etc?

Who'll kick us off then?
  • HMM- 10 years that's a long time image

Well I will start:

Highlights -1 small pb at a half in may this year with  1285 miles run in  the first 5 months.

Lowlights- at end of year still 1285 miles run image ( I haven't run since end of may) so 7 months on the bench with some more to go and just had a knee op in November.

2016 Goals- get back running again hopefully in Feb and try for some pb's late in the year.image

• Rodney - good to hear you're back 

Leslie - hope you're back running again in Feb - its tough being out!

For me,

Lowlights - losing motivation after Berlin in October, no running since november, - Missing out on my first sub 4 marathon in London by 23 seconds, 

Highlights - finally going sub 4 in Berlin, highest years mileage so far at 1228 despite not running much since the end of September, training and pacing a friend who didn't run previously, round Belfast marathon 

2016 Goals - back to running with routine, consistency (hopefully motivation) and targeting a sub 1.40 half marathon - current best 1.46, and to improve on marathon time in Berlin 2016

• Happy New Year to all on the forum.  Welcome back Rodney.  Good luck with the recovery Leslie.

Had a good 2015, my first sub-4hr marathon and a sub-45 min 10k for the first time in many years.  Low points were marshalling in the wet and freezing weather!

Kenny, any chance of another Dervock marathon in 2016 as it's an Olympic year?

• Jason- being consistently consistent is the road to faster times alright.(miles up/ times down image )

Paul- on the up by the sound of it ,happy new year.

3 mile walked today with my first half mile slow jog post op in the middle so we shall see what shape my leg is in tomorrow image 

• 2015 - a good year despite a struggle to keep up some running fitness while being poisoned by oncologists. Thankfully, it did some good but the highlights were without doubt the kindness & generosity I experienced from our running community in NI. I've long given up on pbs, so now just enjoying the simple pleasure of running and loving the craic at races. 

2016 - taking it as it comes, but will do the rest of the Born2Run Forest run series races and have my sights set on the Larne half marathon. It's always unmissable.

8.4 miles done this morning, which went ok although the rain caught up with me over the last couple of miles. It was still good to be out.

Leslie, you're doing well. It's takes patience but your fitness will come back in time. I've been there too.

• Did the Race over the Glens and enjoyed it.  Was very wary of it at the start as it was bucking it down with a gail blowing.  Noticed a number of cars with runners in them make a sneaky retreat and not to be seen again and I couldnt blame them at the time as I was thinking of doing it as well! 10 mins or so from race time the rain stopped and wind eased and we where good to go.  To be completely honest the race threw in for me. Really enjoyed the longish downhills.  Was a very tough course but I paced myself well for me and was always on the enjoyable rather than tedious side for me. 

2016 - Larne Half is booked and Belfast Marathon looks on the cards again. Debating doing the next born to run even though I said I wouldn't but feel I am missing out if I dont do races I know others are doing. After the marathon my aim is to concentrate on speed which I was doing but then got a wee bug which knocked me 6. All being well and if I am quick enough I am looking at booking one of my bucket list races in the Disneyworld marathon for this time next year. 

Training starts this week and I am excited and apprehensive about it at the same time.  

• Happy New Year everyone.

My high of 2015 was a good run at the Jude Gallagher Memorial 'Round the Bridges'.

Lows hurting my back 2 days before Larne Half and getting knocked off my bike the morning after the Bridges.

2016 there will be a half but haven't decided which one. Just get out and enjoy my running.

Paul no final decision on Dervock Marathon yet but will let you know asap.

• Fingers crossed for Dervock Half. I'll let DS tell the story...
  • Got into what I would count as a major running event.  Im doing the Great North Run got in via the pre ballot, ballot! If anyone else has entered good luck!

• great news one2escape, great event from what i hear from people who do it!  tough getting out there these days with the cold, i've been a wimp and sticking to the treadmill recently!

• Kenneth- that's the spirit just get the miles in image

One2E- the GNR is a major event alright ! I did it way back in 1999 0r 2000 ,crowded is an understatement so don't expect a pb just enjoy the atmosphere  image

Jason- it sure is cold now  with a lot of Ice forming tonight ,got out for 2 mile before it started to freeze though image Making a start back after a long time out.

• Well done one2e , I did GNR in September it was brilliant, do yourself a favour and get your flights and accommodation booked now, the prices go through the roof come Summertime, enjoy image

• Cheers guys for the support! Struggling starting marathon training at the moment.  Hope the snow and ice clears up for everyone for the weekend.

• looks like the worst of the wintery weather is over for now at least...got out for 10 yesterday and while it was cold enough for a few layers, there wasnt the ice and snow to contend with!  spring/summer cant come soon enough!

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Hey folks, sorry to butt into the thread but just wanted to ask a daft question about club membership in NI because I'm moving back over soon.

When you sign up and get registered with athletics NI do you get a uk athletics registration number like you do if you sign up in England and Scotland or is it a separate setup in NI?

I'm just asking because some online retailers give discounts for uka affiliated runners and am hoping to keep benefitting from it once I get home.

I hope that makes sense.
  • Hi VDOT52. We're not ignoring you. Mags is the authority on this. Athletics NI issues the athlete numbers here but, as it is a part of UK Athletics, I would thought that the online retailers should accept our numbers. I've never tried it though.
  • Welcome Vdot image, not in a club so I don't know either,sorry but as its all part of the uk I can't see there being any issues.

• Welcome Vdot you will get an ANI number. Some local retailers will give you discount. I have never tried it in the UK.

• Yes they should be accepted i've used with english online retailer. If they dont contact Stephen Nolan show and kick up a fuss
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies folks. Your replies seem very logical and go with what I assume but God knows if we are right.

I have just joined Enniskillen RC as their membership is by calendar year and I'll be moving there in the summer, so I will find out soon if they'll accept the ANI number or not.

One retailer has a process for registering to get a 10% discount if you are a uka affiliated club runner but then doesn't have ANI as an option in the drop down menu image So I have sent a message asking the question. Oddly enough when I was in their shops I heard one of the owners saying her dad is from NI so god knows why ANI is not on the list.

Anyway, again, thanks for the replies
  • 5 easy this morn ,it was still a bit of a struggle though but it will get easier !image

How is everybody else getting on ?

• Well done on the 5 miles, Leslie. I was out myself for an easy 3 mile run after circuits, although it was baltic. I'm enjoying the running at the moment as was bothered with anterior knee pain last year, but that has gone and not having any particular aches & pains now. Long may it last. I've got a few more 10ks coming up, then I'm in for the Dune half marathon. I just need to get the mileage up now so got in an 11 mile run at the weekend.
  • Well done on the 5 miles Leslie. Patience is the key and even though I'm the worst at having no patience with my training, I've been doing my best. I have gradually built up my mileage since last May where I was doing 3 - 5 mile runs and then by September up to 6-7 miles. The odd 8 mile run in October and November and now doing 7-8 mile runs 4 times a week, with the odd parkrun involving 2 miles warm up and 2 miles cool down. Hoping to do a 10 mile race in Londonderry on 5th March, so that's my target race now.

Good to see you training away Paul D. and that the knee is ok now.

Kenny, have your club given up the organising of Roe Valley Trail Race this year? Will it be as friendly an atmosphere if Springwell aren't involved? Always loved this race when I was able to do it.

• Maybe of interest to anyone who has completed the London marathon in the past: 

Every finisher in the 35 previous races will be able to order a special #oneinamillion edition T-shirt printed with their unique #oneinamillion finisher number. The online ordering system for the #oneinamillion T-shirts will go live on Virgin Money London Marathon website on Friday 5 February 2016.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/millionth-finisher-in-2016/

Any forumites running in it this year?