When should i start training

Ok i have got an entry into next yr's FLM. At the moment i am running about 15/20 miles a week. Should i start training for the marathon now or wait till Jan and if now what mileage should i be doing!

Many Thanks
Lou

Comments

• Try and keep up the training at that level over christmas and new year then you are ready to start seriously in january.
    By march you will have forgotten what it feels like to have a sunday to yourself,especially if you are not fast, it take a long time to get round those 18-20 milers.
    Dont worry every has their own theories on what you should and should not be doing but go by what you feel is right ,more than 4 days a week and my body starts to say no ,others train 5-6 times a week with no bother.
    I've stopped worrying and just enjoy .
  • 15/20 miles is not very much, try to build it up to 20/25 by the end of the year. Then follow a traning schduel, aim for the schduel that is the next level up form what you are planning to run, then if it gets too hard you can always drop down to the next level.Remeber training for the marathon is very tough, running the marathon is easy if you have trained correctly...
  • Lou - how far do you run as the long run?
  • For most runners, 15/20 miles is fine this far ahead of the race. In fact it would be too much for some. Depends on your target and your ability, but unless you are going for an exceptional time, I would say that it's fine. If you are following an 18 week programme, you should be starting around 9th December, so just follow whatever it tells you. I don't agree with Arvinder that you should be training at the level above where you want be. Sounds like a recipe for overtraining injuries and burn-out. Establish your target and train at that level I would say. If, a few weeks in, you feel that you are being under-stretched then by all means ease yourself into a higher level. Better than the other way around.

Andy
  • Lou, reading your message again I realise that you don't have a training programme yet. You need to start looking now, as the 18 weekers start in a week's time. The other common lengths are 16 and 12 weeks, depending on your experience and fitness. Personally I followed the Hal Higdon 18 Week Novice programme (www.halhigdon.com). He also has Intermediate and Advanced. There are plenty of others out there like the Jeff Galloway one, and the RunnersWorld one. You need to search the web and get a feel of what's available. You can create your own but only if you're an experienced marathoner.

Andy
  • I recognise that everyone is diferent but are there any web resources to help with a monthly/weekly training schedule up until the big day?
  • Adrian, there are loads of web resources. See my previous message. The programme I followed sent me daily emails, explaining and encouraging, and giving good advice. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Andy