Year's total miles and targets

Comments

• Good thread, I've only been running regularly this year and have been simply been using races as a focus.

You guys sure are committed looking at the mileage you all rack up. I seem to get by/fit in a 20 mile a week schedule.

PBs at all distances I competed in for 2004, remember this is my first year!

5k - 17:30 (2005 - 17:15)
    10k - 39:19 (2005 - 36-37)
    1/2 marathon none ran (2005 - 1:25)
    Plus continue to enter the obscure x-country events of strange mileage where times are irrelevant and the scenery is more important!

and basically keep fit for ballroom dancing success as a senior (hence the nickname!)
  • This is a great thread as it gives us a chance to reflect on the year!

I spent 2003 learning how to run having done no exercise whatsoever!

2004 was a year where my goals shifted as I went along. It was the first year of taking part in many races too. So 2004 has been about finding what I enjoy and don't enjoy.

I discovered these runners world forums in January and everyone here has been of great help!

I joined a running club in April and have thoroughly enjoyed running in company.

I ran many races including 3 half marathons.

I discovered that I like getting lagged in mud and running off road.

And I have just totalled up my milage and am very pleased to say that I totalled 1265 miles this year. I am rather chuffed with this! :0)

2005??

My first marathon approaches - Paris. I am excited about it and looking forward to upping my long run.

I am also doing a mad mud lagged 20 miles off road run, for the first time.

And lastly (so far) I am doing the Saunders mountain marathon (as long as my partmer and I get in) in July, which should prove to be 'interesting' at the very least, considering that I will be camping out overnight and carrying all my equipment with me, as it is over 2 days!

So all in all 2005 should be a great year!

Bring it on!

• OK, I'll play... ;-)

This last year I:
    1) Lost more weight (from an original starting point of 17:7 in May 2003)
    2) Ran probably 3500 miles (ish).
    3) Transferred over to minimalist shoes.
    4) Set PBs at all distances from 5K to half marathon.
    5) Failed to run the fast marathon I'd hoped for :-(
    6) Did really well at North Downs 30K (7th) which was my other main race for the year :-)

Goals for 2005
    1) Get weight down to 10:3 or less (currently around 11:9)
    2) sub 2:30 marathon
    (Goal 2 will almost certainly depend on the sucess of goal 1)

That's it. I am a simple man...
  • What's your target marathon, Pants? I'm picking up vibes that you're not up for London?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My mileage total this year was 2213, not bad.

Scooby, I think Scar Runner is doing the Saunders marathon as she asked me if I'd like to partner her. One day, but not this year for me!:o)
  • Total miles 3910, up from around 35xx last year:)

Thought I could get to 4000 by running 110mpw in Dec, but nearly got injured:(.

Still, a fair amount I think:)
  • Not in FLM, Andy - self destructed just prior to qualifying attempts.

Will do a fast one in the Autumn hopefully. 20M in March and then into some speedwork...
    Yes - Pantman is planning to do speedwork!
  • Is it just me, or has anyone else realised that the founder (author) of this thread hasn't a great deal of chance of getting his 2005 targets?

For example he wanted a sub37 mins 10k time, and achieved 37:43 or something, yet he wants sub36 mins for 2005. He achieved 3:21 ish for marathon and wants sub3hrs for 2005.

If he does achieve these goals, please let me know where he got the stuff that he plans to take to do this!
  • Anyway, I've achieved my target of 1500 miles for 2004, and even managed to take it further to 1504 miles!!!!

Yeeha! That means I've run an average of 4.12 miles per day, and an average of 28.92 miles per week! Fantastic! Not bad for me (in my demanding job - so many pencils to sharpen), wonder if I can squeeze more out for 2005?
  • FL - I think this is achievable within 6 months. I went from 38 to 35 minutes within a few weeks, and improved from 3:08 to 2:54. Why not?
  • Yep URR, I may be wrong, but to knock 21 mins off a marathon time, and around 2 mins off a 10k time is a bit extortionate. I've gone from 39:45 to 38:30 for 10k myself, and this took 10 months (and a big increase in running properly, ie recovery runs, tempo runs at a proper tempo (not just eyeballs out) and HRM training.

If I'm wrong after all, then I'll eat my hat (the black fleecy one) in a year's time!
  • Suppose it depends on your underlying physiology and how long been training etc. If you have wonderful natural physiology and/or only just started to run you should see large improvements over the first 2-3 years or so. Also you may have had injuries which slowed you down that year. Listfounder may be still on a steeper improvement curve than others or his physiological "best" is higher than others or he's just younger as well.

Me, I've knocked 9mins off my 10K time this year after starting to run 18months ago again. Don't expect another 9mins this year but 3-4 would be good. Its the law of diminishing returns as you get closer to your own personal theoretical "best" (determined by genes and how old I'm afraid).
  • My yearly run total is about 100k.

This is 90k more than I managed the previous year.

Considering I could barely walk 3/4 years back, I am proud of this.

Considering I was doing 40 mins and lower for a 10k, and could keep going all day long pre-injuries/illness, this is is still horribly frustrating.

Well done all you guys who run these huge mileages and fast times.Enjoy them, you never know if the next run is going to be your last.Good luck and good health to one and all.
  • Can't remember what my exact targets for 2004 were, but here's what I achieved (at the risk of some repetition from another thread):

a) ½-mara PB (pretty sure that was one target) at Helsby of 84:18. That looks cr*p now.

b) best 5-mile time for 8 years (29:39) - 12 seconds outside PB - a target NOT achieved

c) 10K PB (definitely another target) of 36:31 at Guilden Sutton. My personal highlight of the year - an (almost) perfectly paced race - 5K split of 18:15; most km splits v close to 3:39 - capped by picking up my first ever racing prize - 2nd MV40

d) a "proper" 5K PB (i.e. picked up from a race other than a Wirral Seaside Run) of 17:43

e) joined a club (having expected to remain unattached forever) - which gave the opportunity to run in some great "closed" races (Borders League and Wirral Multi-Terrain league). I won't forget the MT race that started on a beach into the teeth of a howling gale in a hurry!

f) managed to raise the mileage to the point where 30 represents an easy week. Haven't done the figures for the year yet, but won't be far from 200 for December, and suspect that the 2004 figure overall will be around 1600.

24 races done this year

main targets for 2005:
    a) ½-marathon - get PB down to sub-83 - should be well achievable, but only race planned is Helsby in 3 weeks' time
    b) 10K - try to get PB to as close to 36:15 as possible
    c) 5 miles - break that 1996 pb of 29:27
    d) 5K - get PB down nearer to 17:30

other targets:
    a) stay fit
    b) get my first sub 17:00 in a Wirral Seaside Run since 1998 - will need a following gale for that :-)
    c) pick up a MV45 individual prize in the Borders League (4 prizes awarded, and currently I'm 4th)
    d) have another go at an event of length under 5K (to see how much speed I've lost down the years)
  • Just got back from my last run of the year.The miles have been checked and re-checked and the grand total for 2004 is a stonking 2496.I'm pretty pleased with that.I've had a couple of post marathon lulls, each time not putting the trainers on for a couple of weeks, but generally its been a good consistent year.

I've run 2 road marathons and my first ultra,i've managed to set PB's at 5k and the marathon too,so you can't complain at that.And to top it off,i've got through another year of running(this is my 4th)and i've still never had an injury,so hopefully that'll carry on into next year.

Aims for 2005?

I can no doubt improve my PB's from 10k to half marathon with some effort,and even to knock a little off my marathon at London would be nice.To be honest though, i'm not too fussed as long as i continue to enjoy the running.It doesn't matter what times you're running, if it becomes a bit of a chore then you'd probably stop wouldn't you?I've been getting abuse from clubmates for some time that i shouls start doing some intervals or at least some structured training,maybe i could give some thought to that.The one and only interval session i've ever done was in September '01, so perhaps the benefits of that have run out by now!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Mileage 2004 was 3310.

Target 10M was 60:00 - actual was 60:39 (Feb)
    Target 1/2M was 80:00 - actualwas 80:31 (March)
    Target 10k was 36:30 - actual was 36:57 (Sept)

Huge investment in training mileage/intensity in third quarter of year didn't translate into performances due to injury.

2005 Targets:
    10M 58:30
    1/2Mar 78:00
    10k 35:30

Main non quantitative target is to prove to myself that high/hard levels of training can produce performances that stand comparison with runners 20-30 years younger than myself.
  • Fell runner.
    You feel I can not achieve my targets that I set at the begining.
    Please note that when I set my targets at the begining of 2004 I had only been running a touch over 12months. I completed London this year in 3.21 having walked the last 4.5 miles with a broken bone in my foot. I can not see why I should not aim to better goals, I have already picked my training to over 60 miles per week so time will tell.
    G.
  • Looking at last year's thread it seems I only had two goals:

1. Sub-40 10k - did 38:40 in Salford.

2. Sub-1:25 HM - did 1:23:26 in Wilmslow.

Looking back, I find I've set PBs at 5m, 10k, 10m and HM this year. Thing is, they were all in the first half of the year. The rest was devoted to a sub-3 marathon, which went out the window when I got injured a fortnight before and put myself out for 2 months.

So, this year's goals:

1. Return to Abingdon and do sub-3.
    2. HM PB, maybe in Lancaster in September.
    3. 5m PB and good series performance in the Haigh Hall 5 series.

Oh yeah, this year's mileage is 3,071.
  • wobbly ball boca jnrs, I certainly reckon you can achieve your goals! Surprised that others think they know better! Go for it, and start a great thread announcing when you have done it!
  • Milage in 2004 was 2639

2004 Targets -

10M was sub 60m - actual was 59:23
    10K was sub 37m - actual was 35:21
    5K was sub 18m - actual was 17:04

2005 Targets -

1/2M in 78m or less
    10M in 58m or less
    10K in 35m or less
    5K in 16:xx

And to see how high this old man can finish up amongst the youngsters in races :o)
  • 2004 total - 624m, plus 300 on the turbo and ~ 200K on the C2.

Aims for 2005:

Get back to being able to run injury free. This will mean using the turbo and C2 as cross-training tools and starting the running at very low mileages with the hope of being able to race in the summer.

I would also like to do some mountain bike racing in the spring and summer.

Do some form of CV exercise everyday.

Try cross-country skiing.
  • Just checked, did slightly better than I thought I had: 1605 miles for the year (assuming I do the last bit this evening!).
  • Typical! Sorry Wobbly ball boca jnrs, I really admire people when they exclaim what they want to do for the future in races. Sorry if what I put was a bit offensive to you, didn't mean to do you down!

It's just your targets for 2004 weren't met, so I didn't see the point in extending them until you had achieved a realistic goal. That sounds a little patronising, but imagine if you were target setting for a child's education and you reckoned they would be level 4 by Year 6, yet at Year 5 they were working at a level 2. Is it worth expecting too much? There's high expectations and there's unrealistic expectations.

I hope that you do indeed achieve all that you set out to do. To set too high targets can leave you feeling demoralised. A bloke in our club recently packed it in because he hadn't improved as fast as he thought he would (after 6 months)!!!

Good luck, mate!
  • WBBJ - I went from 3:14 in my debut marathon in Oct 2001 to 2:54 in my 2nd one in April 2002.

Also 38:01 10k Aug 2001, to 37:30 in Sept, to 36:05 in November 2001 so given an injury free run and some decent training I reckon your goals are achievable.
  • FL - and how many people don't achieve what they might be capable of by not setting high targets for themselves? . Its only when we have high expectations, and role models who are achieving graet things, whether within your own club or among friends, or national heroes eg Paula (who says she never sets herself limits) or Tracey Morris, whose exploits I believe set off the hard trainng threads here, or other forumites who we would like to emulate, that we feel the urge to train harder or get in more miles! And as BR and others have shown huge imporvements can be made when there is the will.
  • No offence taken FL. I did knock 31 mins off my previous P.b in this years marathon, so I have acheived some goals for this year. It has been an inspriration to read all your replys and it just shows what a fantastic bunch of people and part of the (running family) you all are.
    If you have has a c**p year lets move on.
    If you have had a good year lets drag it into next year.
    Wishing you ALL a very happy and healthy 2005 and whatever your aims are may they come true.
    Yours G.
  • Im fillin up--stobbit

my total was 1632 in the end
  • I agree with TMR

If we did not have dreams, ambitions targets to strive for what a sad world we live in.
    I may have not achieved everything or even one thing this year but that does not mean I will give up......just something inside me that makes me what to try even harder/work harder this coming year to achieve it even if no one else in my life understands where I am coming from! !!

PH

That is a fab total makes me feel inferior
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    Well only had 2 - to run the Great South and raise monies for MS Society.
    Got the running bug and achieved the following:

5k – 24:23 (one and only at start of year, achieved 22:29 split in 10k race)
    5m – 35:48
    10k – 47:15
    10m – 74.56
    ½ - 1:56:06 (too early, too little training, very painful)

Completed GSR (1:15:35) and raised over £1,000.
    Joined RW forums (July)
    Training outside (August)
    Joined club (November)

Mileage since June ‘04 = 828

Continue to enjoy running and stay free of major injuries

Early target hit 45min for 10k be fore I hit 48 – 1 chance only (9/1)

Other targets based on improve from 64% age related to 70% - this is ideal would accept PB’s at each distance – not sure if these, realistically, are 1year or 2year targets

5k – 20:20
    5m – 33:00
    10k – 42:00 (assume 45 in Jan, speed training April/May)
    10m – 69:15
    ½ - 1:32:00 (defo. 2 yr target)

Raise another £1000 for MS Society

Mileage 1500+

? run a marathon, if do, target will be to complete – ideally in 4hrs or a bit less

Not sure what to expect from year 2 of running life …………. the adventure continues ……………..

Mike T
  • Busy 2004 for me, competed in more races than ever and feel satisfied with the results I have achieved.

Every race throughout 2004

Hyde Park 10k 37:24 PB
    Dartford 10 65:43 PB
    Hyde Park 5k 17:57 PB
    Greenwich 10k 37:19 PB
    Hastings 1/2 84:17 PB (Inc 10 mile PB)
    Paddock Wood 1/2 81:20 PB (Inc 10k & 10 mile PB )
    Croydon 10k 36:47 PB
    Bracknell 1/2 80:34 PB (inc 10k & 10 mile PB )
    Richmond 1/2 81:48
    Hyde Park 5k All went wrong way no time
    Dorking 10 83:25
    North Downs 30k 2:31.55 Hated it!!!!!
    London Triathlon 2:34.xx PB
    Half Ironman uk 5:35.43 PB 1ST attempt
    Thannet Marathon 3:24.47 PB
    Cardiff Marathon 3:06.52 PB
    Croydon 10k 39:10
    Barns Green 1/2 84:43
    Monaco Marathon 3:42.xx

Total distance 2004

Running: 1712 miles
    Cycling: 1000 miles
    Swimming: 35km

Plenty to be very pleased about, but the second half year was alway the most challenging with Half Ironman on Aug 22nd then the 3 marathons went 5th Sept, 3rd Oct, 14th November.

1. Increase mileage
    2. sub 17 5k
    3. sub 36 10k
    4. Sub 60 10 mile
    5. sub sub 79 1/2 marathon
    6. sub 3hrs marathon planned for Amsterdam!

Want to try 800,1600, and a 5 miler.

More important to enjoy and stay injury free.