Options

Blaydon Race 2005?

Comments

• Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Rickster

New divvint gan yem'n start tarking aboorit; ye'ar alrite but wi divvn't want nee more forriners.

Aa hope th'll be a race aarl depens on wat the pollises dee.

Wat reely gits me goat is them waarkas when wor club lads/lassis gits torned away.

• Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    mie

Ye divvn't hev te diya ?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mie1072 - we Geordies are known for our hospitality, as Rickster's post confirms

Getting a place is first come first served, and if you keep your eyes peeled, the Journal get the entry forms first.

they turned 600 away last year, and more this, but I had no bother getting a place at all.

We locals have a head start, any 'forriners' are welcome in my book

As for the walkers, it may be controversial but I agree with Ook, there are plenty more scenic places to take a stroll. It is supposed to be a race. That doesn't mean I want to be elitist, those folk who walk/run and train for the event and take it 'seriously', or are forced through injury, or health or whatever to go at a more 'steady' pace have every right to enjoy the event too.
    I do wish those who have 'pedestrian' intentions right from the start though would be a little more aware of those around them.
  • Options
    After the rain over the last few years it was great to have dry night followed by a canny supp in the Geordie Ridly at the end
    Until the Keelmen on the 22nd OOK
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    In English

I understand it was the walkers that caused the problems for the Police last year which almost had the race cancelled.

There are now literally scores of 10k events around for the first timers so why not keep the Blaydon for serious runners. I don't know how this could be enforced short of making the event "club only" which would be very unpopular.

I noticed several unattached breaking running etiquette - weaving around and cutting people up, jostling to the front and switching the funnels at the end.

The race is unique in its tight start which needs every runner's cooperation to ensure continuing Police support.

I hope everyone behaved themselves, it would be a shame if the event ended.
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    MM

Keep off the Blackout (11%)!!

Ask for a jug (2 pints) and get a free half; not many people know that so keep it quite
  • Options
    Just to add i am another foreigner who did this race and i thought it was excellent, it also a good excuse to come and see my great aunt and other family members.
    I also travelled a long way from Leicestershire but it was really worth it,
    I would love to do it again
    Thanks to all the North East support
    Carl
  • Options
    It was my second Blaydon and although it seemed cooler than last year at the start, it suddenly seemed very warm once we hit the Scotswood Road. Nice for sightseeing on Friday though.

It was good that people heeded the instructions and kept away from the start until called forward but wasn't there something about those with numbers over 2800 being started 30 seconds later? I saw plenty of people with high numbers starting near the front. Do they want to get their pictures in the paper or do they all think they can run it in under 40 minutes?

Great event otherwise, I would recommend it to anyone and I plan to be back for the 30th edition.
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Nar - divvn't tell neebody man
  • Options
    You're a terrible mon... oops, sorry, ape !
    Here, have a banana :0)
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Wearing serious hat today - just done 12m in cold drizzle

According to the official results more than 500 people did not finish (probably didn't start either).

In big rsces it probably doesn't matter greatly but with a maximum of 4000 it does, what a waste.
  • Options
    They turned away 1,000 I heard.

Is there an easy way to fill the places of the non-starters on the night I wonder?
    As you say, it's a shame.
  • Options
    Oh, and well done on the 12 miles in the drizzle,

- I could tell you were being serious by the posh accent :0)
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Aaam aal reet new , aa had get aal happt up n hev a lie doon te get waarm. Aam gannin fo'the biggin - Beednil te Alnmooth so oot in the caad ne plodgin in the waata.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd say hello, seeing as I started the thread. It wasn't just my first Blaydon, but my first race full stop and I loved it!

Ok, me and wor lass came in 1:02:11, but it's not bad for only starting running a few months ago and carrying around enough spare tyres to fit a lorry.

Only thing that upset me about the race was that us plebs at the back had to wait a few minutes to start, and the offical time was 3 minutes longer than we actually did. Still, I suppose we'd need to get ourselves to a club to start further up front. I'll be aiming much faster next year.

We found the race hot and should have brought water with us, instead of just at the start. Still, you live and learn.

Anyway, I'm chuffed with meself, and especially my wife, whos a few weeks behind me in her training.

Did someone say there were 4,000 runners? I thought there were 6,000? Mind, 4,000 makes more sense, as 2,500 retirements would be a hell of a lot.

Cheers,
    K.
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Get yourself in a club; your PBs will improve considerably, if only because you will fall into a regular and effective training regime, not just in fits and starts for particular events.

Be careful - clubs fall into two clearly defined caregories (so get your priorities right)

Runners who drink
    or
    Drinkers who run

Where are you based (in the NE?); there are lots of other 10k races throughout the summer.

PS I never trust the official times ; always keep your own time.In really big races you could take up to 15 minutes to cross the start line.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've seen the results but does anyone know if there are any race photos on the web?

• Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    No; but the official results from the Journal are out on the 17th?, it usually has some photographs. Finishers should get one sent out.
  • Options
    Thanks, Ook, I'll definitely consider joining a club. We're in Ryton, so I suppose our natural neighbour, Blaydon Harriers would be the fella for us.

The only thing I'd worry about was rigid training times. We have two you children and tend to take shifts at running later in the evening when the kids are in bed. I don't know how clubs organise their runs or whether we could fit into that schedule.

Could you expand on the runners / drinkers thing? You mean social drinkers? I've all but given up temporarily because I'm training for the Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon, but normally am known to like a gallon of wine or two.

Lastly, I know I can do a faster time already, because I did an 11k in training in only a few mins more. I'm losing weight rapidly (running's the best sort of excercise) and by next year I reckon I'll be on for a much better time. Also, you're right about the other races. We're looking into various others. Any particular favourites?
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Or you could always think about us ; Elswick Harriers based in Newburn Leisure Centre and/or the Keelman pub!!
    http://www.newnet.org.uk/elswickharriers/

Newburn River Run (6.5M)
    Wed 22nd June (see above)

Beamish 10k Sun 26th June
    Tynedale 10k Wed 6th July
    Coquet (Amble) 10k 17th July
    Morpeth 10k (early Aug)
    Kielder Forest 10k Sun 4th Sept
    Tynedale 10M (two weeks before GNR)

Our River Run and Tynedale 10k are dead flat and good for beginners
  • Options
    Just missed this year's but Raby Castle 10k is a good one too.
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    XLM
    Wat fettle?

What's next - I'm pollising our race and attempting the Beamish 10k after that. New one for me, anybody done it before?
  • Options
    Canny OOK, canny.
    Yersell ?

I would have liked to be doing Newburn, have talked about it for a couple of years but never got round to it. This year, determined to sort myself out, I find it clashes with a parents' evening at the local primary for folks whose kiddies start in September. Bloody scary that! My bonny bairn starting school.

Enjoy Beamish.

By the way, have you heard any word from the 'Poliss' post-Blaydon ?
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    I have reached that happy state of constant fatigue ; end of term hysteria and 30+ miles a week have taken there toll on my decrepid self.

Blaydon - No, so far so good. Front end seemed to be behaving themselves but it was the slower people that caused the problems last year.

Before you know it, the bairn will be pinching your car and stopping out all night.

Are you doing Tynedale?
  • Options
    Fingers crossed then.

I thought it seemed a little better than last year.

Can't do Tynedale either, but I'm very interested in the Coquet 10k. What's it like?

End of term hysteria? I think our boss has a serious case. He is asking staff to arrange trips for the last week of term. In the middle of June !!!
    I think CDT are going to busy with a production line for the buses we will need. Can't see another way of getting any at this late stage. Madness.
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Coquet 10k - out and back course from Amble Marina through Warkworth across the river to the light ; mainly on good roads but one or two stiff climbs on the way back.

Did you hear about the school that put all its problem kids into buses and drove them around the countryside for 4 days during their Ofsted inspection - improved their grades considerably.
  • Options
    Nice one :0)

I would suggest that to the boss, except it would be tantamount to volunteering for the trip, so on second thoughts ..
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    I can also recommend the Kielder Forest Road 10k* (4th Sept) all on reasonable roads through some beautiful scenery - the midgies have usually been and gone by then

(Not to be confused with the Wild Race @ Keilder which is virtually all off road and has some pretty rough bits. If you really want to try something "a bit different" try them next year. Kilhope is the hardest race I have even done in my life, I was quoted as saying

"I went up on all fours and came down sideways"

http://www.allterrainevents.com/
  • Options
    One of my employees did the killhope. Sounded 'interesting'!

I think I fancy the kielder and / or coquet. I'll have to see when I'm about as we're off on hols for a week on Saturday, then I'm back a few days and then in Japan on business.

I didn't know about the Newburn run. It's a shame I'll be away when it's on as I'd have definitely have done it. My wife regularly trains down there and I've been down a few times.

What's the best way to get lists of these events? They don't always seem to be listed on the RW site under the events section.