Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

After much swithering about whether to do Lochaber in the Spring, I've opted for this one again. I'm sure the hills can't hurt as much 2nd time round!

And, after all,it's still 10 months away-a mere dot on the horizon.

Anyone else planning to do this one?

Comments

• I'm debating it at present. Ran the marathon in 2003, missed it last year... think I might have forgotten about the hill outside Dores by now...
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi FF, not doing it this year - planning to do New York instead plus FLM in the Spring. Maybe next year as it was a lovely course and we had a brilliant holiday afterwards.
  • Planning to do this again this year and I haven't forgotten about the hills yet, I found downhill bits to be just as tough as the uphills. Hope to beat my time from last year.

FF are you going to run Lochaber? I am already signed up for it. And I am thinking of doing the Moray Marathon in August as a training run for Loch Ness but will see how the training is going first.
  • Redhead, you could easily do this as a 'long run' as prep for NY. I might do this as a prep run for Washington DC on Oct 30th, if i dont do Chicago the same date...

I figure one round of training, and 2 marathons for it....!
  • Jane-no, I won't do Lochaber. There's a fair few shorter races on in April/May that I'm going to set my sights on instead.

Redhead- New York, eh!! I'm envious--good luck for that one, and I hope you enjoy the experience.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Already signed up for this one - 4 in a row.

Also doing Lochaber, and may consider Moray too, although Isle of Man is another option (that depends on getting under 5 hours at Lochaber - personal target).

Maybe I should do Embra as well, and complete the set :o)
  • Nessie, I am thinking of Isle of Man as well but may just do the half marathon instead, Moray maybe lonely at the back but its my nearest marathon and I get to sleep in my own bed the night before and I have to run it at least once I think.

• I am a beginer, but I want to set myself a big goal so that I have to stick to my training. It wopuld be lovely to some home to Scotland for my first big race - do you think this is this a situable marathon? or would all the hills be too much?
  • TetleyTetley ✭✭✭
    Seen lots of photos of it - and have always wanted to do it - might just go for it - I'll see how London and Blackpool go.

Is it easy to get in does anyone know - and how many people take part?
  • Hi all, I'd really like to do the Loch Ness Marathon but isn't it a ballot entry like the London Marathon?
    How come you're all signed up for it already???
  • Gail, as I am a member of SAL I have got automatic entry if I want.

Tetley I never heard of anyone not getting in last year so not too bad to get in.

Beckie, the hills are fairly tough, last year I walked the steepest and longest hill as did loads of other runners. You have plenty of time of train for it, do a couple of 10ks and a half marathon race in preparation may give you confidence to do this race.
  • This was my first marathon in 2004.

The hills are tough, but do-able. There's about a mile uphill at mile 17 or so, and another shorter one further on (?mile 20).

There are hills earlier on, but, to be honest, because I felt fresh then, they seemed fine.

Like Jane said, lots of people walk the big hills. Cramp forced me to walk one of them, and then I hit the wall---but that's another story!!

Let's put it this way, I'm keen to have another go at it. The scenery and atmosphere more than made up for any of the undulations!
  • I'm in the ballot (and if that fails I'll join a club to get a guaranteed place)!

Really enjoyed this one last year (even THAT hill)
  • Really enjoyed this one last year, but have entered the Budapest Marathon that is on the same day. Good luck to everyone especially those I met from the forum last year.
  • Quality marathon, recommend it to anyone thinking about it.Hills tough, but definately not impossible, I got a pb in 04, and the course does finish lower than it starts.The hard hills the one at 20miles, but after that, it's flat/downhill.

If I don't do this again this year, will do it next.
  • I plan to do it .... if i get in the ballot.

How much does it cost to join SAL?? ( i assume that means Scottish Athletics League ?? or soemthing like that. ))

I ran the River Ness 10 K last year and it was superb.

Thankfully i came in before the marathon winner who came round the bend and into the stadium like a steam train...very impressive!!!

However i have the little matter of the FLM in april as m first marathon and the nerves are going bit time.

Ran a very slow 16 miles today and caame home and went straight to bed LOL!! .... after a shower of course :-)

p.s drove for 3 hours from Glasgow and 3 hours back on the same day to run the 10 K and it was still my favourite race of last year ... not just because 5 K is downhill but the atmosphere , local support , stadium finish, etc.. were all superb and i can only imagine how great the marathon was ( apart from the notorious late hills )
  • Thinking of doing this one. Doing Lochaber and Edinburgh so this one is far enough away from them. Will make up my mind soon. Did the 10K last year and it was great watching everyone come in from the marathon.
  • Im considering this or Abingdon. I take it its a ballot for this race?
  • I really need a new key board. Perhaps less red wine when posting would also help :-).

Click this link for the marathon web site ... http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/register/

I have joined the SAF as i understand that to do so guarantees entry so fingers crossed.

Not looking forward to the infamous 18 mile hill .

C u all there.

:-)
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a ballot - I think it's first come first served.

I think I'll do it again this year, unless I'm too knackered after Lochaber and Edinburgh. I really enjoyed it last year.
  • this was a first marathon last year and i loved it, hense going to do it again ! also doing edinburgh marathon in june. i live in inverness so this one is on my back door, everyone should do it !!
  • I ran 18 and a half miles today and god knows how i am going to cope with a hill at that stage.

Nightmare!!

I stopped and blew up .... i am dreading this marathon now .
  • bytor you have plenty of time to train for this marathon, did you drink enough and have a sports drink or gel or sweets for energy? prehaps you ran at a faster pace than you needed to at this stage of training.

what sort of weekly training are you doing at the moment and are you thinking of entering any other shorter races?
  • I was thinking about jelly beans and asking for advice on mid-run nutrients.
    i was going to buy a camel pack but decided against it.

What do you recomend?

I am training for flm and feel that time is running out...i cant believe how my body collapsed today.... i stopped and siezed up big time.... help!!!!!
  • This week represented big jump to 50 miles for week.
    Achilies is twitching but OK........ i want to do sub 4 hour marathon... without being a Cracknell arrogant achiever ;-0
  • bytor even if its cold you need to drink water on runs of longer than about 60-90 mins. If your routes are in loops which go past the same point every so often you can leave some water and its okay to stop and walk to drink. I eat jelly babies on long runs but jelly beans are okay too. If I am not wearing my gillet which has pockets I have a small bumbag to carry them in. I did not realise you were doing FLM, I am doing Lochaber and am up to 17 miles for my long run, at a much slower pace than you, in that run I drank a litre of water and ate jelly babies every 15 mins and felt okay when I finished.

After a long run I eat loads and loads and drink fruit juice and water all day. I have a carb/protein snack within 30 mins of finishing. This helps with recovery.

I would suggest you have active rest for the next few days, do some gentle walking and jogging or x-training and then think about a steady paced shorter run midweek and prehaps a shorter long run at the weekend.
  • Bytor-sounds like you might've been running at race pace rather than training pace.

I did the opposite to you- I was fine during training but blew up in the marathon!

I'm sure if you slow your training pace significantly (by 1.30 mins/mile or so) you'll be fine.

I'm looking at using energy gels for the actual marathon this time.

Good luck with your FLM training, and also to you, Jane M, for Lochaber.

• Thanks Jane M and TFF.

I do laps of the local park. Unfortunately i can't leave water at a set point as it would get nicked..... the joys of living in the north of Glasgow LoL!

My average pace yesterday was 8-42/ml. Don't feel as bad today as i thought i might ... will take the advice and have today off with a very gentle run tomorrow morning.

I think i might buy a camel pack after all.
    Who said running was a cheap sport ??
  • for a first marathon, is this a good one?