James Cracknell article in this month's RW

bearing in mind his comments about Paula Radcliffe.

I'm glad he's running a marathon though, but he should go and run it in a hot climate. I don't want you to get the wrong about me, because I would not say this about many other peopel, but I hope he doesn't finish, because it might deflate his ego. How dare he speak about her like that about something he knows hardly anything about?

Comments

• I haven't seen the article but I should imagine he proves himself to be a pompous twit.
  • Who or what is James Cracknell ?
  • I started a fred on him a while back cos he was saying he'd do it in sub 3hrs, which would I reckon be v difficult for a big guy

I got told off! here
  • Think I'll start a heckle James Cracknell fred nearer the time
  • why is it arrogant?

he's a decent runner and has set himself a tough target. clearly he's not the same class of runner that he is rower but its not like he's said he's going to run 2.05 or something.

actually i didn't think he came across as arrogant at all. i thought it was quite interesting to hear how someone from another sport intends to go about marathon training.

• He'll EASILY break 3hr. As I understand it, he's taking a year out from rowing, so he'll be putting the hours in.
    His biggest danger is that he has a very high VO2 max, yet the muscles, tendons et al involved in running have not been built up. This means that he'll improve fitness wise very quickly, but potentially injure himself as the faster speeds will result in greater impact without the abiltiy to absorb that impact efficiently.

His comment re. Paula was just sheer ignorance. His sport involves MUCH shorter distances and higher intensities. More to do with managing very high lactate levels and almost nothing to do with managing ever decreasing glycogen levels. He has in all likelihood never even been close to the TYPE of exhaustion that Paula suffered in Athens.
    As a result he spoke out of turn and made himself look arrogant and ignorant.

Nevertheless I hope he does well at FLM - he may learn some humility regarding the event in the process. Especially as he seems keen to race it rather than just complete it.
  • Have yet to read the article yet but I would imagine James Cracknelll could break the 3 hour mark without too much problem. He has a world class breathing and oxygen transport system ( and Vo2 maxs are often quoted as being the benchmark of where you are and what you need to improve) and compared to the quantity of training needed to be a world class rower, the quantity needed to be a good club level (which is roughly where the 3 hour mark is I think, I could be wrong) runner should be with progression in a year quite easy for him.I think he's got a very good chance to break 3 hours on one of the fastest courses in the world.

• Well he's doing 70 miles a week (I think) - most 32 year old men could break 3 hours on that.

He's already done a 1.25 half so he's on target.

One of Britains top cycling time triallists ran a marathon the other year and didn't manage to break 3 hours - not sure what training he put in though.
  • What does James Cracknell know about the Olympics? (That question to anybody other than dancing in spikes)

He can say what he wants to say, he was right Paula should not have dropped out.
  • I've run a faster half than him!

ner ner ner ner ner!

Just wanted to say that.
  • Peter Pan - I know you're a quality runner, but you cleary have never "hit the wall" - run out of glycogen - there is NOTHING you can do.
    Could she have walked it? Done 10min/mile pace? Perhaps, but if you think she should you know little of the serious and possibly permanent damage she could have done.
  • I have to disagree that Mr Cracknell's comments re PR are ignorance. He is married to Beverley Turner who is a sports journalist. He knew what he was saying - it was calculated to give him publicity.

He's "taking a year out of rowing" - yeah right. If he retired he would be forgotten. By "taking a year out" and getting on the sports page headlines he is maximising his earning potential.

BTW I listened to him on Radio 5 live and boy is he pleased with himself (think of Prince Charming in Shrek 2).

Re original question on bad taste - frankly I think it would be best just to ignore him.

• I hope he does it.

If he has done a half in 1.25 that is fast for a guy over 15 stones.

I think he is brave to set himself a target of 3 hours regardless of what he may have said about Paula.
  • I think it would be quite funny if he had to drop out (sorry!).
  • Jeez. I spose 70 miles running a week feels like a rest to him though. But he is a full time pro athlete, so if he can't break the 3 hours, then I guess something is wrong. And he's done a faster half than me. Dammit.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    I think he is arrogant and his comments about Paula annoyed me at the time (for reasons that Pants gives) and after reading the RW article I don't know if those comments about Redgrave and other "celebs" are arrogant or just light humour..

Subsequently, I hope he does'nt break three hour, but I know he most probably will. I hope he hits the wall big time and has to walk and finish in just behind me !

BTW we had a very good rower in work last year who did New york, and he was dead fast at distances up to about 16 miles (did the 16 mile Kingston breakfast run in 1hr 45 mins). However in the marathon, he blew up at 20 and finished in 3:18...

Mr. Cracknell no doubt will have a good coach who will ensure he continues to develop some decent aerobic endurance though..
  • Don't you think that most of us could knock a decent whack off our PBs if we had all day to train and recover, rather than holding down a full-time job, squeezing the training in around it and just trying to get to bed as early as possible?
  • I would say he's more confident than arrogant. He's extremely fit - has a half marathon time which shows it's possible and is obviously doing enough of the right training. I'm confident of achieving sub 3:15 and I've not even reached the dizzy peaks of 35 mile weeks yet.
  • I've heard/seen him interviewed a few times now and I'd say arrogant

Typical pompous upper class twit!

<nrk runs for the exit>
  • Haven't yet read the article and i'm not certain what was said about St Paula, but i can't see how it was bad taste to include him in RW. Unless, that is, this is another one of those "St Paula can do no wrong and we should thrash anyone who doesn't worship her" kind of threads.

I think there are bigger things to be concerned about.
  • hear hear. the majority of "joe public" thinks that Pauline is a crap quitter. this is probably an unfair view, but its an unfair world.

if you disagree with this view, then good for you. but why bother getting hysterical if people have different opinions?

it doesn't matter what joe public, james cracknell, BBC2's "biggest loser of the year 2004" panel, or anybody else thinks. don't take it so personally.
  • I think you'll find it's Dame Pauline not St Pauline

oh not sorry so forgot that a marathon was 26.2 and didn't finish.

And yes I've read the book (dull dull dull) and still have the same view of quitting
  • what, like a Panto Dame?
  • for the comedy value, yes.

They're behind you!

Oh no they're not because I've just sat down at the side of the road and they've all overtaken me.
  • Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please.....

can we stop having threads/replies about Paula and the Olympics.

Nobody cares any more.
  • Just read it, sounds very cocky to me. He shouldn't have a problem to get sub 3h time, though 96kg is quite a lot of weight. He has a huge ego, has a problem when a fun runner is ahead of him and slags off the 5hrs runners.

If he is such a great athlete why doesn't he have an individual olympic medal? In my view Paula as athlete is a completely different league. How many people row and how many people run? Winning the Olympic marathon is 1000x tougher and more competitive!

• james cracknell does, obviously