Options

Stomach cramp

2»

Comments

• Options

Try coconut chunks before and some coconut water mixed in with your isotonic drink (perhaps with a drop of 'elite' electrolyte droplets too?)

also vita coco drink from holland barrett, try the one with pinapple as it tastes a little nicer than the others

Also, you could try a dynamic stretch pre run: step back with one leg and rotate the same side shoulder back as far as possible, then do the same thing with the opposite shoulder to foot back, will stretch TVA and ext obligues nicely to hopefully void spasm within the diaphragm, aim at about 4 seconds back, 2 second return tempo speed and repeat.

Another thing alongside your training could be to do some deep bellow style breathing ex's - like Ayurvedic breaths.

everyone is different but this is seemed to work for me.

• Options

Hi Sally - I found i was getting severe stomach cramps for quite a while when i was running (but happened at other times too). There was no definitive pattern. But often it was accompanied by horrible wind. To cut a long story short, I eventually worked out it was Gluten Intolerance - much of the carb-loading foodstuffs typically recommended for runners is gluten-laden. So this diet was connected with running and was a disaster for me.

I gave up gluten and the problems just disappeared. The hard thing is trying to ensure that gluten doesn't get into the diet. Several doctors were unable to diagnose this problem (I was fobbed off with lots of IBS talk) over a number of years. Worth considering......

Good luck, TD.