Runner's World 15-Mile Training Run, Richmond Park

Comments

• The Kingston Gate Status Report:

Kingston Gate is open now and should be operating normally tomorrow morning, AFAIK.

The road that leads directly to the Gate, Queens Road, is closed from Kingston Hill for about 100m North. This means that you can't turn into Queens Road from Kingston Hill, but you can use all the other roads that join Queens Road - Crescent, Liverpool, King's, New, Tudor and Alexandra Roads. Bring your street map.

There is a car park inside the Park by the Kingston Gate, so if traffic is slow-moving tomorrow morning, you could park there and jog 1 mile up the gravel path to the Start at Broomfield Hill Car Prk. If you're late, you'll meet the runners coming down the path.

Similarly, there is a car park at the Robin Hood Gate (even though that Gate is permanently closed to motor vehicles). It's about a half-mile from the Start.

There are car parks at Roehampton and Sheen Gates but not at Ham or Richmond Gates; there is a car park at Pembroke Lodge on the road between Richmond Gate and Ham Cross.

The Met Office forecasts freezing overnight, possibility of sun (and probably snow showers) in the morning, wind 10mph NE.

This global warming is a real menace, isn't it? Happy trails everybody.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    For information for anyone travelling to Norbiton or Kingston stations tomorrow, there are engineering works between Wimbledon & Kingston so there is a replacement bus service in operation. Allow extra time for your journey.

Double check your train times and journey times with National Rail enquiries on 08457 48 49 50. Better still, try South West Trains' website at www.southwesttrains.co.uk

• Ok BRM now I'm completely lost. Am I better off coming into Robin Hood gate or Kingston? If I were to come through Robin Hood, the (rapidly becoming infamous) killer hill is to my left...so where is Broomfield Hill Car park? -
  • BRM,
    Thanks for the info and reassurance, i like the bit about for every up there's a down, so of course i'll focus on the down. Easy!!
    See you all tomorrow
  • We have space for three in our car. We shall be starting in the East (Beckton) and heading on out via the following route: A13 to Tower Bridge, crossing over to the murky south, and following the main road to Elephant & Castle and then onwards to Richmond Park ish. So if you are along this route let us know. Leaving at 6:15ish....shockingly early time for a Sunday!

Enjoy.
  • Melanie, Try streetmap.co.uk: enter the OS grid reference 520400,171800

If you come in through the Robin Hood Gate, turn left: the killer hill is Broomfield Hill, the Start is in the Broomfield Hill Car Park at the top of Broomfield Hill. Follow the road or the gravel path for half a mile up the hill.

Remember that you can't drive through the Robin Hill Gate.
  • Melanie, I don't know which Gate is better for you because I don't know where you're coming from and how? Car, foot, bike, bus?
  • Mr Creosote
    If you have space can I jump in at Tower Bridge? If you get this message in time let me know on ornump@hotmail.com
    Cheers, Peter.
  • StephenV, I just wanted to say thank you for offering me a lift although it won't be necessary now. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Best of luck tomorrow - have a good run (and to all other runners tomorrow too of course!)

amy
  • only one space now, if youre small!?!?
    Seen y'all soon
  • Bit last minute BUT

I'm a newbie training for the Flora Marathon and am booked in for Richmond but have no lift as yet....

anyone free going via Garrett Lane /Earslfield/Tooting?
    Can even scoot to Clapham....needs must.

David
  • What time does the run start ??(yes I know I've left it late!).
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    natnif did you get my text?
  • this is a better idea

any spaces in ve-hicles then txt me
    07950 54 24 94
  • ahh heck- if cars are boxed in that scuppers my plan to just do one circuit (7.2 miles) then leave....hmmmm
  • What a loverly morning and what a loverly run.
    The usual thanks to RW and the Human Race. . .

The natives seemed a little more friendly this
    year - apart from the one who fell off his
    bike in the first mile of the first lap!!

I was running with the 8.min mile group and
    my forerunner gave the following mile times:

9.23 8.38 9.14 8.01 8.21 8.37 8.35
    9.08 8.04 9.31 8.32 8.05 8.25 8.44
    (4.27)

. . and a distance of 14.4 miles

But i did move from the very back to the very
    front of the pack in the first lap. And I did
    pull away from the pack over the last 3 miles -
    coming in about 2 min ahead of the pack.

I must be getting better the hill at the end
    of the lap didn't give much grief this year!
  • Excellent morning. I got there abit early so I parked at South Cheam and ran around the outside of the Park to Broomfield Hill (5 miles?), joined the 7 min mile group as there wasn't a 7.30 group, stayed with them all the way and then ran the 3 miles back to my car.

Guessing that I did about 23 in total.

Oh and BTW the hill did hurt me at the end, but not as much as the run back to South Cheam.
  • Thanks RW and Human Race, new to this lark (relatively) but really enjoyed the pacing - thanks especially to Steve - the 11/mm pacer, shame you're not at Silverstone!
    Confident for my first half now..........see you there!
    Tinks did you stop after the first - thought I saw you then lost you on the second lap...?
  • Excellent outing. Thank you RW and Human Race and especially Our Man With The Stick, who led the 9-miners.

I recorded 126 mins for 14.4 miles, which is 8.75mpm, which is a lively way of running 9mpm.

Using the above data, Pete Riegel's Extrapolation (see Pace Calculators on the RW website) predicts 238'24" for the Marathon, which 9.1mpm. It's cutting sub-4 a bit fine. Lots of bl**dy training still to do, innit?

To do a Marathon, we'd have had to run another full lap at the same pace and then run round again to somewhere between Sheen and Roehampton Gates, I think.

Best wishes for the FLM everybody -
    Float like a wombat,
    Sting like a dugong,
    Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide.
  • great run this morning, thanks to the 11 mile pacer, stuck with him for the first lap then went on a little bit more and finished at 2hr 30. I have run the park many times as I live local but that hill always kills me!

Apparently someone was taken off at the finish line by an ambulance, does anyone know any more about that incident? I do hope they are ok.
  • That was a nice run, struggled for the last couple of miles i put that down to an eight day lay off due to illness.Thanks to the 9 min mile pacer and also to the guy who helped me to get back in touch with the group after i had to take a toilet stop at one of the gates.
  • Yes great run,lots of people carrying on after the two laps from what i saw.They were giving CPR and mouth to mouth when i left before putting him in an ambulance.I wasn't sure what the outcome was,I hope he will be ok,it didn't look good to me but then what do i know.
    cheers all

• Great Run! My first ever 15 miler and managed a 2.11hr...I even surprised myself.

BIG thanks to Ruth from Blackburn/East london who kindly drove me and my other new chum Marieanne (not Annemarie!) home.

Hope your both warma dn well fed! Here's to Finchley 20miler!

--david
  • Great run - thanks to the 11 min milers, and to the lady and 66 yr old veteran who kept me going until i lost on the 2nd attempt at the killer hill!
    Did anyone spot Jo Brand on the way round - if she can do it...

Good luck FLM all!
  • great run, but so damn cold, my knees were not liking the winter weather! so nice to get back to a nice warm bath! ...
  • I did spot Jo Brand, in fact we exchanged a smile, I almost shouted "see you at the marathon"
  • Well done everyone, I ran three miles there and back but only could do 1 lap due to a sore knee and an abusive week (ie. no training, lots of eating/drinking-that will teach me!)

It was good stuff. All the best for the FLM!!
  • very pleasant morning, thanks to the 7min milers. A big thanks to the RW and Human Race fine folks, who gave up their sunday morning for our benefit.
    Cheers!!