Telecomms Masts

13»

Comments

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    I dont mean to bang on about it but I would ahve thought it is a simple concept:

a) Who will actually guarantee the tetra thingy is safe? ( answer - No-one is willing to confirm that categorically in writing)

b) If no one will do it and you have to site one, and you have alternative sites instead of siting it next to a nursery, use one of the alternatives.

What is the problem with that?

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, Rocks. Part of my responsibility as Head.

Incidentally I gotta dash.. post for the day is finished and I am on dinner duty.
  • Quite so Barkles. If the operating companies are that confident. Let them issue a categorical statement that they will compensate anyone within a certain radius of their installations if it is subsequently proven that there are health risks attached.
  • I'm always amazed how people oppose these transmission masts, but whenever home networking comes up in conversation, everyone always tells me they have wireless LAN at home rather than cable. (And wireless baby listeners right next to the cot.)

And, by the way, don't you get 1000 times the dose from your own phone held next to your head, versus from the mast?
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many objectors to mobile masts smoke? In the presence of their children?
  • I mentioned WiFi a bout 2 pages back !!!!

(Had to chuckle, my dad is in Hospital at the moment, and all over the place there are signs saying turn your phone off..... But every ward has a laptop computer, connected via WiFi !!! and before our Techie department get on my case, yes I know about frequency and power differences !)
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    BUt you must agree that my a/b case above takes some disagreeing with?
  • Yeah, if you have equally good alternative sites, that seems unarguable.
  • duty of care is quite interesting subject . i'm head of requlatory affairs in one of the largest medical device companies in the UK. So my responsibilty is to ensure duty of care to patients and end users is up to legal requirements.

If there is no conclusive evidence that the masts may affect health then I'm interested in where the objection due to duty of care comes in ?? If at the time of installation no evidence exsists to say they are harmful to health then you have complied with your duty of care and therefore do not need to object on health and safety grounds.

Some of our products emit radiation much more harmful than a mast. We have performed required testing etc. and currently can prove its not harmful to health if the user directions are followed. Therefore have performed duty of care. However, if in a number of years it proved to be harmful we are still not liable as we used, at the time, state of the art techniques to prove its safety. The law excepts that testing techniques improve over time.

Science/goverment has done your duty of care for you care for you. They have said they are safe to site in residential areas.

Rocks - no i don't have kids. why?
  • They have a surprising ability to change one's attitudes/approach to a great many things.
  • Bear in mind that

"you should do X"

and

"the law should force you to do X"

are not the same thing.
  • particularly to sleep...how i miss it.
  • Ah... AP, I see you've taken to lurking in these parts! How's training going on the north side of the river?
  • Has anyone seen the front of the Business Pages in todays Telegraph ???

Tesco using radio waves to track products round their stores..... Will make you go blind I tell you (I shop at Kwick Save anyway)
  • I'm sure they've placed so they are above kiddy head height :o)
  • You haven't seen the photo then !!!

Looks to be about half metre and metre above ground level !!!

• The problem is, they test these things individually, not for the additive effect.

In 1880, 2% of all deaths were by cancer, now it's around the 45% mark - and heading to plateau at around 80% of us actually *getting* cancer, if some reports are to be believed. Now, obviously people living longer (and control of certain infectious diseases) is a huge factor in this, but the main difference has been, to account for so many new cases, the amount of toxins, chemicals and unnatural crap we surround ourselves with. It is not going to bother people masts being around the elderly as much as children, because children are developing, have many years ahead of them, etc. Harsh, but true. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if people are liable or not if something is proven harmful years later. What is going to matter is that the damage might already have been done. Saying they are safe is different than them actually being safe!

At the end of the day, I wouldn't want to be near a mast - I probably am for all I know - and I wouldn't bother to complain about it as I have enough on my plate at the moment. However, I can understand why people are bothered, if there is a possible health risk.
  • you all must be as bored as me if you bother to read through all that lot...!
  • soc.

The point about the liability is that it would make companies think very hard before putting these things in the midst of high population areas if there was even the remotest chance that they would have to pay out.

I absolutely agree - who gives a t0ss about the money if you've lost a family member, but the preventative mechanisms could potentially avoid that eventuality.
  • Is that the same way the tobacco companies are worried ?
  • The tobacco comparison is a worrying precedent. Even where there is overwhelming evidence of health risk, there is precious little action taken against the profiteers who are pedalling this weed.
  • No action can or will be taken Rocks, not when our illustrious government makes so much money from tobacco sales. Surely with tobacco, the govt. should have some duty of care. After all, we know that smoking can lead to cancer and respiratory diseases but they are still for sale. I here of no protests if a new shop opens up selling cigarettes and alcohol - surely both more harmful and socially damaging than mobile phone masts?
  • Page 14 of todays Daily Telegraph has some GP moaning away about having a mast sited by her home
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    You can put one ON my house if it improves Orange reception.

's an ugly house anyway, and I wouldn't have to look at it.

:op
  • Lovely Jj !!!

A mate of mine says the best place to see Paris is from the Eiffel Tower.... That way you can't see the bl**dy tower ! (and she's from Paris !!)