Two Castles Run 10K

Comments

• As you turn left into Castle Rd, you have around 500m to go, all of which is up hill towards the castle. You run into the castle car park and that's it really.

If you are one of those who has sprint finish, then the last little bit (100m or so) in through the car park entrance and into the car park intself can be a bit annoying as there are plenty of folk who slow down or stop there to wave/meet family and generally get in the way.

unless of course you are in amongst the first few finishers.........

....I imagine......
  • are any members of this forum meeting up before the start i also have a big red v on my number 230 . hope to finish in the top hundred if only that climb by leek wooton could be levelled out. lol
  • Will take my spade to Leek Wooton tomorrow!

The trouble is that will only make the top 100 even faster!
  • i meant to say the top hundred, if the hill is levelled out and i can manage 3 shredded wheat but alas the medal will do ha ha
  • They've changed the route slightly this year, the start is on the big piece of grass next to the astro-turf pitches in St. Nics, and the finish is inside Kenilworth castle itself. You run in through the castle main entrance and then you've got the length of the courtyard to run before you can finally stop!

I don't know what they've done in recent years, but there won't be any road closures except for the last section. But there's going to be so many runners that the road might as well be closed really. Although they're not using the castle car park this year for the start/finish, parking will be restricted to the organisers and helpers etc.
  • Jiim: how do you know that we are running along over the moat and not following the road around to the sandy car park opposite the Queen and Castle pub?
  • Oh Help!

Starting to get deja vue - if I don't know where the end is, how can I plan my finish?
  • Jiim - If the start is by the astro-turf and the finish is in the castle, surely it will make the race quite a bit further.

It would definitely be further at the start to get to the roundabout outside the castle (instead of going down the dark, dingy path.

The finish would also be longer as you have to run past the previous years finish - further up the hill before turning into the castle to get to the courtyard.
  • Just under a week to go and I arent feeling half as confident as I did of beating my 43mins target as I did when I originally posted in this thread about a month ago ;-(

Training was going great and then I rather stupidly pushed my distance up massively in a week by doing 2 x 13 milers and a 15 miler in the same week, walked most of the second half of the last run back to home due a severe pain in my left knee every time I placed my foot down.... was fine walking on it didnt really hurt at all except when walking downhill but running on it felt like there was a needle being jabbed in between the bones :-/

Been resting it and cross training since then and then every so often trying to run on it and it starts off ok but then within 6 or 7km the pain is back.

My own stupid fault but soooooo frustrating not being able to run when I feel sooooo fit cardio and muscular wise, just the stupid knee stopping me.

Couple of nurofen will hopefully see me through teh castle to castle in a decent time although completing it without having to walk would seem like a win atm never mind the 43 min target . :-/
  • You have to be careful tho, knees take a long time to heal if you overuse them. It's ok, anyway, cos I'll be plodding along slowly too...
  • Sounds like runners knee banbert. Rest and ice it this week, coupled with illiotibial band stretches. Might help out.
  • Cheers guys, and that deffo sounds like the puppy JohnB !

Quick google search has turned this up which looks very useful and the symtoms are very much what I am experiencing.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/

• Got my number but I can't remember it completely ( and I won't be seeing it again till Friday evening) but it's either 2207 or 2270!

Skybluemonkey 2207 or 2270
    Nibbs 779
    Banbert - 108
    Feel the need - 1815
    Chunky One - Ian Lang - 100
    (Jumping Jack) Flash - 255
    Guy Heaton - 371
    Fastest Fat Man - 557
    Flanker - 706
    Mikey Lazy - 921
    Running Caz 1785
    Prue 2175
    JohnB 654
    Ultra Minnie 2271
  • Skybluemonkey 2207 or 2270
    Nibbs 779
    Banbert - 108
    Feel the need - 1815
    Guy Heaton - 371
    Fastest Fat Man - 557
    Flanker - 706
    Mikey Lazy - 921
    Running Caz 1785
    Prue 2175
    JohnB 654
    Ultra Minnie 2271
    anthony a 915
  • I ran the first 4.5km of the course last night - then turned around, walked a km and ran the remaining 3.5km back.

I think Sundays going to be a struggle.....

......and there were swarms of "summer bugs" to eat along the route.
  • Well the knee is feeling a bit better last couple of days, not run any further than 5km on it but done a few speedy 1km's in the gym and its felt ok so fingers crossed, but just found out I have to have my jabs for an upcoming trip for Thailand tomorrow morning so hoping for no adverse reactions to them before Sunday, think a higher power is determined to knobble me for this years race !! :-)

Just checked the weather for sunday and its forecasting a drop in the current temperature and partial cloud so could be nice conditions..... although I wouldnt be surprised if that changed before Sunday.
  • Hmm, 5 km & 1 km speed? Doesn't sound like rest to me Banbert. Not sure its a higher power going to knobble you at that rate ;)
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    As this is my first 10k for a long time I tried to run a race-pace 10 last night to get the feel for it again, and got my pacing totally wrong. I seem to have got so used to running half mara pace that moving to a faster pace completely through me out. I'm hoping last night will have helped...

Anyone got any tricks I can use? Or failing that anyone planning on a 45 minute pace whose heels I can follow for the first few k?!
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    or even: THREW me out
  • try negative splits.....1st half a bit slower, maybe half marathon pace, then pick it up in the second half when you've warmed up fully.

Iknow what you mean though, i'm still in marathon mode, so it seems to take me about 4 miles to get going these days!
  • LOL, I'm in 10k mode but it still takes me 4 miles to get going!
  • Skybluemonkey 2207 or 2270
    Nibbs 779
    Banbert - 108
    Feel the need - 1815
    Guy Heaton - 371
    Fastest Fat Man - 557
    Flanker - 706
    Mikey Lazy - 921
    Running Caz 1785
    Prue 2175
    JohnB 654
    Ultra Minnie 2271
    anthony a 915
    Tupper 230
    i hope everyone has a good run and enjoys the day
  • i wonder if anyone can offer some advice. sorry don't have whizzy pic but can't work out how to change the thing

i've entered race, have been running for about a year and a half and aiming for around 58 mins- i'm a slow girl. been running about 2-4 times a week depending on schudule and can run 9.50 miles comfortably for 7/8 miles. i've been laid out with bad back and didn't run for a couple of weeks and then gone diving so haven't run for about 3 weeks. Back now tip top but was hoping to have done some speed work before race but plans been stuffed by injury. i just seem to plod along at same old pace, i know its too late to do anything now but what tactics would anyone suggest for race. i have a tendacy to finsih a run with far too much in the tank.

any thoughts appreciated

• Hmm, injury in your back....my top tip is to be realistic and take it easy until you've had time to test your back at race pace.
  • ..................however, I blew 2 discs in my back 3 years ago and I am hoping for a 45 minute run on Sunday. So, if you are as stubbourn as me, I would suggest a pre race massage, a GOOD warm up so that even after stretches you are slightly sweaty on the start line (calm down boys!)

Drink lots for several days before hand to fully hydrate and rest properly.

Now if only I could swallow some of my own medicine I might be injury free myself...pah!
  • thanks very much. just back from osteopath who is very happy with me and amazed that i haven't run for three weeks as i don't think he believed he'd i'd manage it. My back not so dramatic as yours, old injury that flared up largely due to time spent sat at computer

good luck on Sunday

• Auntie Doris....finishing with too much in the tank has been a habit of mine for years. All I can say is it is a confidence thing. The thing I found helped was NOT wearing a watch when I went out for a run. That way I was forced to run on how I felt rather than trying to stick to some self enforced target time. I've taken 3 minutes off my 10k and 15 minutes of my half marathon this year, and i've enjoyed the races far more as I didn't spend every km watching the clock and worrying about falling behind target.

If your enjoying it you'll run better!

have fun
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    Auntie D. You have my sympathy, seeing as I have just come back from A&E with a major pull on the muscle group between shoulder blades from an over energetic session in the gym last night. I was worried I'd slipped a disc, so suppose I should be relieved.

Off for heat treatment and a massage in a few mins to try and promote recovery but not even sure if I will make Sunday now & I guess the PB is off :(
  • the watch thing really rings true. i'm obsessed with time and actually really enjoy runs far more without them. terribly competitive person though so difficult to give up (particularly combined with my obsessive tendancies). i think if i didn't wear one for race i'd come home in 70 mins as i'd be looking at flowers or chatting madly

haven't run for about 3 weeks, hoping that i'm going to enjoy it and push myself a bit more than normal.

Flanker, sorry about injury, it's a real shame and so frustrating. i just gave into it in the end and went diving instead of training!
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    I was supposedly having a gentle session in the gym as part of actually tapering for the race. I normally don't bother easing off the running before a race, and now I know why!!

I've never been able to train gently - I'm also terribly competitive, be it a race or just a solo run against the watch. Suppose I should have known better!

I suspect I will end up doing it dosed up with ibuprofen. It's my local race and i missed it last year through injury and really don't want to do so again. I'll be the one running stooped over!