London

Comments

• Where is this so called London? Is it near Llanabeddw, Llanelli or Ynstawe?
  • I was lucky enough to spend Christmas and New Year down under in Perth. Beautiful beaches, 30 degree heat, perfect running down by the Ocean, no pollution...

...And after about 10 days, slowly but surely I started to miss London.

The energy of the place, the history, the way you can overhear a dozen diffent languages being talked at the same time on a single bus. Walking not driving from A-B. Running by the Thames. Yep, the property prices are insane - and so are many of the people for that matter. But me, I can't imagine living anywhere else.
  • I started off in London, but that's 'cos I didn't know any better at the time. :-))
  • I've posted this before so sorry to repeat but..

I think they should cut round the edge of London, air lift it and drop it off somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.
    Nobody in London would notice and it would give the rest of the Country that great feeling you get when you've just had a huge dump.
  • Love visiting it but I find it a tiring city.

I could imagine living there for a limited time when young but I wouldn't like to bring kids up there. I like the slow pace of life and lack of change up here:)
  • MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!! Although i don't have a great deal of it!!
  • Gary T - yep, I probably would! Racist, sexist, homophobic carp is far more noticeable in villages/small towns. It surely does go on in London, but in small towns etc people get to think far too much of their own importance and throw their weight around.

I'm not saying I'd live here forever mind, but I am used to big cities...
  • Matt, the whole country would sink without London I am afraid. Unfortunately the likes of Goldman Sachs et al haven't had the vision to move their UK offices to Birmingham ....... yet.

I like the north, pretty much like you guys like London - but I couldn't live there.
  • I'm fortunate to get to visit London through work usually 3 or 4 times in the year (I'm from Glasgow area) and I love the excitement of flying down and staying over so I get the opportunity to wander round - the office is at Lincoln's Inn Fields, so I can easily get to Covent Garden area.
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    I often find that Northerners love to slag off London, sometimes with real passion and i find if strange?

I love living in London. I was brought up on a farm in the countryside, so its not that i am a complete towny and I probably dont want to live there all my life. I lived in Sydney for a year and could have applied for residency and stayed there, but I missed London and I missed England.

London has so much to do, is always vibrant, theres always loads of people around to do stuff with, plenty of opportunity. Yes its expensive, congested and dirty - I still like living there though.
  • London was a great place to live when i was 18 - 29 but i am glad i am out of it now - for all the reasons people have said although i like to get down there now and again to "refresh" my accent.
  • Brum is good, just a tiny bit too far away from proper hills, and the coast.
  • I love London :)

because it has possibly the best running scene in the world, many races, clubs, training facilities and easy accessible. Must be good, even Craig Mottram, Benita Johnson and a bunch of Kenyans train in London :)
  • I've been working in London for the last 6 months and it's brilliant (except the travelling, which is carp). Loads of museums, galleries, theatre etc. Mrs W and I have been to the National Gallery, musicals, a play, concerts at the Albert Hall and last week we saw Sir Ian McKellen in Panto at the Old Vic.

The best days are when I ride my motorbike in to work, taking in views of Harrods, the Natural History museum, Buckingham Palace, Admiralty Arch, Trafalgar Square and St Paul's.

I wouldn't live here though. Far too crowded!
  • URR-especially the fell racing scene:)
  • On Sunday night I nipped out at 6.30, saw Judie Dench and Patrick Stewart with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in a hall up the road and was back before 10. Try that in Auchtermuchty.
  • I live in the suburbs of London and work in London. I think London is great because there is so much on offer and it's so easy to get around.

I also believe that good news doesn't make interesting news which is why you hear more negative things than good things. eg. if there were no problems on the trains would it make the news - no.

There is also the point that a lot of people don't like moving away from what they know. So those of us in and around London don't want to move away but lots of people are attracted to London and want to move here.
  • Lived in and around London most of my childhood. Moved to the Isle of Wight now, loads of hills loads of sea and lots of clean fresh air. I do miss the little things like it taking 30 mins to drive 3 miles, but now I can cycle with out getting knocked off or carbon monoxide poisoning
  • BT - bin there, done that

However, i do thinnk back with nostalgia to cycling through hyde park early in the morning on the way to work and seeing the soliers and horses from the barracks coming through the mist, sometimes with full kit - ie cannons and stuff - it was quite weird
  • Matt - what about the lickeys? :-)
  • Was it Samuel Pepys or Dr Johnson that said "He who tires of London, tires of life"?

Anyway it was one of thos old duffers who lived hundreds of years ago but its as true now as it was then!
  • I lived in london for about 4 years, for the last 2 of that I rented a piere'du'terre (sp?) in Pimlico.

Fantastic place, nothing was ever more than 2 minutes away. And walking distance from covent garden and soho after a night out. Every night you could go somewhere new. The place really was open 24 hours a day.

But there's certainly no peice or quiet in the place through, your always constantly sharing your space with someone else. Even in the p'd't i could hear everything going on in the other flats.

These days, it's a nice place to visit, but i wouldent want to live there anymore.

• LONDON IS.........THE LONDON MARATHON!! The 'Birmingham or Newcastle marathon' does not just cut i'm affraid!!!
  • Lurker- Plenty of small stuff by me (Clent, Lickey, Kinver etc...), but I mean BIG hills.
  • I realy like visiting the capital, but one thing really does my head in. As a hairy arsed northerner, why is the beer watered down and never served with a head???
  • Lahndan Tahn!!! pride of England!!!