Anyone else trying to file their Tax Return on-line?

2»

Comments

• yes, but I have registed now as the system will get busier the closer to May 15th we get. you also have to wait for them to send a pass code in the post and I want to have plently of time to sort out any glitches.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    My colleague phoned Centre 1 (main tax district for PAYE in Scotland) yesterday to chase a tax code for a new employee.

Apparently they have a *2 MONTH* backlog of unopened mail!!!!!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Self assessments - 13 done, 4 to go (including my own).

If you need duplicate returns or the supplementry forms you can download the pdfs from the Inland Revenue site.

• So in 2 months they finally open your envelope, realise it was 2 days late and fine you...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's your cheque, they open that straight away and cleared in 2 days!

I did mention before, my clients tax return received by Leeds TO on 4th Oct, not yet processed. I've opted to reduce her payments on account to zero so have been chasing them, they told me to ring today and after 8 attempts I can't get through, a little busy this week, I think.

When I went to the last workshop they admitted that they don't read anything put in the 'additional info' box as they don't have time, so to write separately. So why ask you to put the info on the T/R. Of course now they're merging with Customs & Excise I can only see things getting worse. Too busy designing new logos and letterheads.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Revenue 'should pick up the bill' for website delays

The Inland Revenue should pick up the bill for the long delays experienced by tax practitioners using the Revenue's online tax return filing system, says the ICAEW's Tax Faculty.

Jane Moore, technical manager at the faculty, told the Guardian: "Lots of practitioners experienced long delays over the busiest weekend of the year. Hours were wasted because the website was not up to the demands placed on it, and the Revenue should pick up the bill."

The faculty has welcomed the Revenue's decision to allow more time for users who made "failed submissions".

The Revenue said yesterday: "We recognise that if the submissions failed our validation, you may be unable to rectify and resubmit before the deadline.

"We hold a complete record of all submissions over the weekend and if any of those failed submissions are re-submitted within 14 days of the date when we sent out the 'submission failed' message we will waive any late filing penalty notices. Any payments due should still be made by 31 January."

The faculty advised practitioners and taxpayers to keep a careful record of their e-filing problems and "the extra time and cost that this may have caused them".

It added that the Revenue's code of practice COP1 Putting things right - how to complain explains how compensation can be claimed.

Andrew Goodall
    editor@taxzone.co.uk

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting Nessie. Unfortunately I think the number that reached the stage of 'submit' would have been small compared to those who were still trying to get the data input. It must have been a nightmare for practioners.

I requested a hard copy return last Tuesday, still not arrived! I printed form off the website and walked to the IR office last night to hand it it.

All my 2005 returns will be submitted prior to 30th Sept 2005, if not my clients have to find a new tax agent!