Options

Logistics

As the official view seems to be that I can wait till March to oranise my travel, I guess I'll have to rely on asking someone who's done it before!

I've gathered that I'm expected to be in London on the Saturday, but the prospect of spending £100 just to avoid making two journies doesn't appeal that much!

How early on the Sunday do I need to get to the start?

Not knowing London or public transport well, I'm guessing that the 'Train from Cambridge' option doesn't exist at 5am on a Sunday, so where would I need to drive to in order to get a tube in time to reach the start? (and find someone to drive me back afterwards!)

(I know I could work it all out myself - but someone must have done this before!)

Comments

• Options
    Hi Sean,

Driving to the start is not a great option, parking is very limited.

Best to leave the car, if you can find a parking place, near the finish and take a free train to the Start. The trains leave regularly from Charing Cross Station, which is also near the Finish.

Convient Tube stations that link to this option are on the Bakerloo, Nothern, District and Circle lines.

I would not take this option if your do not know London well. A good night's sleep can be had for a lot less than £100 at the St Giles Hotel, which is at Tottenham Court Road Tube station which is 2 stops for the trains to the start and from the finish. Single room from about £69 pounds, also with swimming pool etc.

I would not put myself though the stress of trying to get to London on the morning of the race.

Another option is the hotel IBIS at Euston Station, which is just along the road from Kings Cross (one of the stations served by Cambridge).
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Alternatively you could look at a hotel in SE London near-ish the start. The main chains are Ibis & Holiday Inn in Greenwich & the Clarendon in Blackheath though these may be booked out by now.

Lots of small hotels in the Eltham area - will try & get a list.
  • Options
    Don't forget you have to go on Saturday, because you have to register at the London Arena by Saturday afternoon to get your race number, timing chip and kit bag
  • Options
    Better to stay in central London and travel down to Blackheath on the morning, rather than stay near Blackheath and have to travel back there after the race.

For info, read the serpentine runners website (www.serpentine.org.uk/) and select London Marathon.

Andy
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to appear ungrateful for the facilities provided,I've given up on the train option from central London. The last time I used it I was squashed like the proverbial sardine and couldn't even move my arms to reach my drinks bottle. I reached the start area flustered and behind time. You live and learn!

This year a group of us summoned a taxi to our Hotel at 7.15am and asked to be dropped off as near to the start as possible. We were on Blackheath at 8am with plenty of time to spare and above all unstressed.

I would agree with Swiss Bobby that trying to arrive by car on Sunday morning is not a good idea. The price of an overnight stay is worth it's weight in gold. You can travel to London by train very cheaply if you book well in advance. We travelled as a group of four from Leeds to London for about £32 return. You have to travel at off peak times to get the cheap fares. Try www.thetrainline.com, you can book tickets for April about 2-3 months before if I remember rightly.

Just remember the number one priority is to get yourself to the start refreshed and relaxed, you are looking for every possible advantage on the day. Best of luck.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I found a hotel for a conference for £55 a night. These links have lots of hotels at very varied prices.

http://www.hotellink.co.uk/docs/uk/london/

http://www.databrowse.com/hotels/London/
  • Options
    Thanks for the hotel ideas... not quite as bad as I'd assumed!

Are the hotels happy with people checking out after the race? Or is there some way of leaving stuff at the finish?
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    You get a kitbag when you register on the Saturday, which you put onto a lorry just before the start, and it is transported to the finish line for collection. If you don't have too much stuff, you might get away with putting it all on. Beware if you have breakables though, as there may be a couple of thousand bags on each lorry!

Alternatively, you could contact the hotel and ask if they have left luggage facilites, or use the left luggage at the railway station you are leaving from (depending on how close to your hotel/start/tube connection it is).

I'm not sure about London's rail stations, but I had a shower at Glasgow's Central station after the Great Scottish Run, which made the 3.5 hour drive home much more comfortable.
  • Options
    If you prefer a lie in, try the White Swan Hotel on Blackheath road. It's down the road from the start.
  • Options
    The (free) train services to the start are not that bad as long as follow the golden rule! And that is, get on at the start of the journey when you can get a seat. The trains fill up at the start, and if you try getting on at one of the later stations, it must be very stressful.

By all means get a taxi if a) there are a few of you to share the cost (would be expensive from Central London for one) and b)you are sure you can get somewhere near the start. Worst case scenario: Having to decamp from expensive taxi a long way from start, then wait for one of the sardine-packed trains to finish the journey.

Main point is that it's not as bad as you fear it might be. Just make sure you're in good time, and you'll be OK.

Andy
  • Options

I'd agree with RC above - the trains are fine as long as you get on at the start of the journey. Also, figure out what time you want to get to the start, and go for a train based on that time. Then ACTUALLY go for a train 45 minutes before that, because the train will sit on the platform and not move for, like, three hours or so....

I live in North London, and based my travel time on how long it would take me under normal conditions. It's not a mistake that I'd make again!
  • Options
    St Giles has a Concierge where you can leave your stuff and offer you breakfast at 5:30 on Sunday Morning.
  • Options
    Dear Sean-
    I did it in 2001. i stayed with family in East London and got a cab to Charing X to get the first train that was running. there were a few there but as the 1st train wasnt THAT busy.Also people joining the train at Waterloo and London bridge got on with out too many probs.
    This year I am staying at a Holidayinn express hotel at Southwalk- I plan to either walk to Waterloo or maybe got to Charing X to ensure a place on train ! Should be 20 mins or so.
    If you need hotel this could be good option I booked last week- 92pounds- incl breakfast/ I think website is hiexpress.com
    All the hotels i rang near greenwich were booked up 9 months ago !

Mike,
  • Options
    If you're in East London, get to Island Gardens and walk through the tunnel and up the hill - very relaxing way to get to the start I found.
  • Options
    The nearest NCP to the finish is off St James' - it has the dubious honour of being the MOST EXPENSIVE car park in central london!!!

Over £40 all day which makes a train ride and hotel seem positively parsimonious.