Are we obsessed with FAT?

OK so if I eat fried bacon and eggs for breakfast, have a couple of pork pies (with brown sauce) for lunch and some fish and chips for dinner then that probably too much fat.......right?

but.....the following questions remain unanswered to me.

1. How much fat is too much fat?
2. What if i eat too little fat - what happens then.
3. If I overdose on saturated fat - how can I get rid of it?
4. If fat is so bad then how does the atkins diet work?
5. What really is a "balanced diet" - how many sausages does that include?

I want answers - not the sort of answers that sensationalist magazines give - but cold hard facts.

Comments

• i think standard-rated, it's normally 17.5%
  • I assume the WE in the thread title is a Royal We, Martin ;-)
  • And the answer is probably yes, on current evidence ;-)

(Or "it depends how many sausages you can hold in each hand".)

• 1. Above 10% fat in your diet is too much. Above 30% and you're really in trouble.

2. Nothing. Your body uses it's natural stores. But you will not be able to absorb certain food because they depend upon fatty acids to break them down - thereby making you deficient.

3. You could try benecol. You can also use milk thistle which assists the liver in removing toxic waste. Not entirely sure. Fibre intake being increased is also supposed to help.

4. The atkins diet works by breaking down proteins and to do so you need fatty acids - so fat is used up from the body stores to do this. The atkins diet IMNHO is a shite way to lose weight though.

5. 1 sausage (for some of us none, I don't eat meat) a week. 5 portions of fruit and veg a week. One portion is one fist sized fruit such as an apple or two dessert spoons of loose uncooked veg such as peas. 35g of fibre a DAY. and minimal amounts from the protein, carbs and dairy food groups.

There Martin. That answer your questions..?

• on the other hand .....

a FAT sausage every now and again could be good for me couldn't it..?

;o)
  • SO Cath - what happened to giving up being smutty and flirtatious?!!!!

;o)
  • Er, shouldn't that be 5 portions of fruit and veg per day? Ideally it should be more than 5.

Your body needs fats, but a lot of the saturated stuff (usually solid at room temperature) is bad news. Go for olive oil, fatty fish, like sardines, mackerel, salmon and nuts and seeds. Avoid hydrogenated fats, like margaines - a little butter is better for you.

Everything in moderation is ok but a fry up every morning is too much! Once a week is fine.

• Jenny -- you're right!!! My mistake, was meant to say a day - was thinking 2 posts ahead!

;o)

PP -- smutty & flitatious..? Where was there any smut and flirting in that post..? Eh..?

10p -- mwah!

;o)
  • A different answer:

1. too much fat is: enough to cause problems; the amount will vary from person to person. The problems caused by too much fat are typically (a) too high a calorie intake, although that doesnt necessarily follow, (b) raised cholesterol if too much of the fat is saturated - but this doesnt happen to everyone and (c) insulin resistance - again depends on your predisposition. These are all related.
    Quoted amounts for "too much" usually vary between 15% and 30% of calories depending who you ask.

2. Too little fat: if you REALLY eat VERY little fat indeed, you will be deficient in essential fatty acids, which is quite nasty, but not likely to happen to many people in our society. Generally if your intake of good fats is a bit low you will suffer from poor vitamin absorption, dry skin, and for men, lowered testosterone.

3. You can't. If you've laid down plaque in your arteries, you can't easily get rid of it again; the best thing then would be not to add any more!! And if you've flipped over via insulin resistance into type 2 diabetes, then starting to eat properly will not cure the diabetes.

4. If the Atkins diet does work, which is hotly debated, then it works by controlling calorie intake, so that although the % fat in the diet is high, the actual amount of fat (grams) is not that high. The benefit of restricting carb intake is that some people find they get less hungry that way. Not recommended for runners.

5. The concept of "balanced" diet is ill defined. A huge number of species eat only one thing (like koalas eating eucalyptus) and seem to do OK. Eskimos eat what we would consider an unbalanced amount of fish, and get very little heart disease as a result. Millions of people eat no meat in some parts of the world and do OK. An unbalanced diet is one that comes almost entirely from factories, I say.
  • Firstly FAT is very important in an athletes diet, as it has a number of important roles, such as delivering essential fatty acids (Linleic & alpha-linolenic acids) as well as fat soluble vits

Recommended intake, for Joe Public, ranges from 15% to 30% dependent on where you look but for an athlete the recommended intake is about 20% (maybe a bit more)

But all fat is not equal, you should limit the intake of saturate fats to help prevent against heart disease – another type of fat to try and avoid is trans-fatty-acids (oils that have been made solid or hydrogenated) such as in most margarines

The consumption of unsaturated (polyunsaturated & monounsaturated) can help lower LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff) when you replace the bad fats in your diet with them

10% fat in your diet is too low

I could write all day on this so I may come back with more info
  • I have done the Atkins diet (about 5 years ago) and while it works, in that the weight comes off quite rapidly:
    a) it is not sustainable: you end up craving carbs all day long;
    b) as soon as you come off the Atkins and take on carbs again, your weight balloons again;
    c) your breath stinks all the time; and
    d) you spend a good deal of wasted time in the lavvy waiting in vain for something to happen!

Sorry. Just fancied a quick rant.
  • the fatkins diet helps you lose "weight" quickly, but its mostly at first glycogen and the water that forms a complex with it. this in total weighs about a stone, and its the stone of more or less instant weight loss that people on the diet find. this is mainly held in the liver, so their stomach appears to shrink, too. unfortunately, they also lose lots of lean tissue as well as a bit of fat.

basically, its stupid.
  • Low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets such as the Atkins Diet are very popular fad in diets presently, being used by large numbers of dieters to lose weight fast. These diets attempts to guarantee fast weight loss and following the Atkins Diet will make those pounds drop off in the initial stages.

As stated above fad diets like as the Atkins do allow dieters to achieve initial fast weight loss however this tends to be a result of losing water and lean tissue weight (muscle) with often only very small amounts of fat loss. The downside to the plan is its reliance on protein. High-protein diets can cause headaches, bad breath, nausea and carbohydrate cravings due to depleted glycogen stores. The plan is too high in saturated fats and too low in fruits, whole grains, calcium and fibre. This program is difficult to follow for long periods of time due to its too low carbohydrate, high protein approach

any real weightloss is purely down to the fact that the body get sick of fat & protien so ou end up eating less calories

Laws of physics and all that
  • are you saying i've got nowt, like?
  • nar - your right

its stupid

but the next big fad is GI

watch this space

mark my words

and its almost as stupid
  • GI Joe only weighed about 300 grams, so it might have something in it...
  • Mike/Will thanks for the (sensible) response.

I guess the real difficulty is in actually defining the right question as there are so many inter-related parts.

FAT is clearly an evil in some respects but then if in other respects you have a healty lifestyle then is the effect negated or at least largely offset? i.e. does the FAT deposit on your arteries even if you remain at a target weight range?

If FAT is depositing itself on your arteries (which, by the way, I don't dispute) then is that also true for mononsaturated and polyunsaturated FATs and if not then why not?

In addition, how do guidelines on FAT apply? i.e. whenever you do some exercise you will either burn glycogen stores or FAT, depending on the length or intensity of exercise. Thereofore, if I am burning more FAT can I not consume a slightly higher proportion?

The problem I think is related to the guidelines. Guidelines typically talk about grammes of something but if they say you can have 35 grammes of FAT per day then how does that correlate with two Melton Mowbray pork pies? I guess what is needed is some sort of food guide which says "this amount of a certain food contains this amount of a certain FAT, fibre etc. (I know that is on food labels but you only get that "benefit" if you eat prepackaged foods which I don't).

.......well?

.......well?
  • but thats cos he was missing some imortant bits
  • eating fat in my previouslly stated proportions is enough

this is dur to it being a percentage - the more you train the mor calories you burn the mor you need to eat to maintain balans therfore the more fat you eat as volume but the same percentage of a whole

the fact that food that is excess food will be stored as fat therfore as long as your diet is in balance and at the correct quantities you will maintain safe fat levels
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmelton Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmowbray.

[thud]
  • Lists of the nutritional composition of everyday foods, including non-processed ones, are widely available on the diet shelves in bookshops, Martin. And the answers to your questions are widely available in the scientific literature.

But fat is...EVIL???

Wibble! I knew that in some circumstances too much of it might make you a bit podgy and increase your statistical risk of certain diseases, but I didn't realise it was THAT bad!
  • well what if you have a high fat diet yet you are not over weight? I know a few people who can eat & drink what they like yet never ever put on weight. My ex ate rubbish all day long and drank lots of lager/other alcohol yet was still thin.
  • yep and your correct in posing the question of how dose this translate into the real world - if as a diet you are recomended to follow (for example)

20% fat
    35% Grains/rice/pasta etc
    20% F & Veg
    5% dairy
    20% Protien

you have overlaps as animal sources` of protien will contain fat in varying levels, grians have small amounts of protien & dairy contans carbs & fat etc

This is wone of the reasons that I fin sports nutrition an interesting supject & why Ive been studying it

• Don't worry, Kimberlina. It will all catch up with him. One of these days he'll wake up and find that every one of those calories which he thought were disappearing into a bottomless pit has been securely stored around his midriff :oD
  • hedy may eat/drink wha they like but what are they doining on the inside

Heart, Liver etc
  • oh cool :o) that will make me happy!