Are we obsessed with FAT?

Comments

• Try again

they may eat/drink wha they like, but what are they doing on their inside

Heart, Liver etc
  • Fat does not make you fat... only excess calories does that

But fat (of exceesive amounts or the wrong type) can make you ill
  • my rant: try going vegan!
    Lose most of those horrible saturated fats, you end up doing proper cooking, & 5 portions of fruit & veg become impossible not to eat.
    & it's definitely good for running on - Carl Lewis, Scott Jurek (record for western states 100-miler), & lots of other people (google 'vegan runners' or summat) do - & my training partner does sub-2:45 maras on proper vegan food...
  • lol, Nessie

Interesting stuff this. My father had a heart attack when he was 67, he was a stone under weight but had high colesterol. I however was 4.5 stone over weight - colesterol 4.7 which is ok.

Bottom line don't take anything for granted.

thud................
  • As a nutritionist id say dont go Vegan unless it is your concisions that takes you that way

A balanced diet is one that contains foods from all the groups and this is not achievable when eliminating such a broad range of foods
  • I regard veganism on "health grounds" as a reliable diagnostic marker for anorexia nervosa. It's a perfect way of excluding whole swathes of food groups from one's diet. Have met with protests of denial often, but ultimately I haven't been mistaken yet.

Veganism on animal welfare grounds is anogther matter entirely, of course.
  • This is a really interesting thread I am Veggie with vegan leanings (allergic to certain foods)I have hardly any fat in my diet no diary, do use olive oil in cooking but my sports masseur( also a personal trainer) has said the reason i am not losing weight could be I do not eat enough good fats that you get from nuts etc but if allegic it is hard to get them else where? I did think seeds where a good source pumkin/sesame/etc
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • oils, look at things like Canola, Safflower, Sunflower, Corn & Olive

other sourses includ Flaxseeds, Soy nots, tofu, Walnots, oat germ, spinach, Soy milk
  • the above "other Saurces" are for (Alpha)linolec acid
  • Ive read somewhere else on here that butter contains those trans fats
    TELL ME ITS NOT TRUE!!!!!!
  • Its partially true, trans fatty acids are primarily produced when oils are hydrogenated to solidify them. Butter contains a small amount of them about 10 times less than 1st gen margarines & around the same as soft tub margarine.
  • sounds of clapping to
    everything wild will said

tis top notch advice me thinks
  • I plugged in my details to the Concept 2 rower health site which i like and it is giving the following advice

"Energy is provided by three food groups, carbohydrates, protein and fats.

The relative balance between these groups is 60% carbohydrates, 17% protein and 23% fats.

Carbohydrates and protein provide 4.3 calories per gram and fat provides 9 calories.

The dietary requirements for a daily output of 2114 kcals (example) is therefore:

Carbohydrates = 2114 multiplied by (60/100) divided by 4.3 = 295.0 grams
    Proteins = 2114 multiplied by (17/100) divided by 4.3 = 83.6 grams
    Fats = 2114 multiplied by (23/100) divided by 9 = 54.0 grams

http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/bmr_calculator.php

Would you agree with that advice wild will?
  • ooh Mike Frog post v good to

especially

" An unbalanced diet is one that comes almost entirely from factories, I say."

fab
  • Since the 5 fruit/veg a day thingy came up earlier, it's worthwhile noting that this is only a UK recommendation. 35 countries have daily fruit/veg recommendations and the UK's is the lowest. e.g.

In Australia it is 7 a day
    In Greece it is 9 a day.
    In Canada and France it is 10 a day.

BTW - a question for the non-veggies. I can accept that eating meat and eggs might be "natural" (although I don't eat them myself.) After all, eating meat/eggs is common throughout nature.

But what about milk? I can't think of any other species that either drinks milk after it has finished suckling from its mother or drinks milk from other species. Surely it can't be "natural" to drink milk? Isn't it just a waste byproduct of the beef industry?

BTW - here's an interesting milk fact. Given that there are lots of ways of measuring the fat content of food (by weight, by volume, etc.) there is a standard used across the food industry, which is the percentage of calories that come from fat.

This measurement applies to all food except milk, which is measured by volume. Given that milk is mostly water, the 2-6% fat quoted for milk would be 50-80% fat if the standard definition were used.
  • Will - all interesting thoughts.

It would seem that the "correct" amount of FAT is somewhere between 20-25%, not sure where that leaves me as regards Melton Mowbray pork pies but how would I know when - eating the average meal - how much FAT has been consumed? E.g. if I have some spaghetti bolognese, how can I estimate the amount of FAT? (I'm sure there must be a book on this?)

I think my main problem is that ostensibly I have a balanced diet in terms of the major food groups but that before I cook it e.g. I couldn't eat a baked potato without a dollop of butter it just wouldn't be a baked potato and I couldn't have my Sunday roast without roast potato or without the skin off the chicken (....that's the best bit).

BUT - what happens if that FAT level creeps up to 35% - if I don't put on any weight and my then is it still a problem.

FishAreBest - you could give up milk but have you ever tried cereal with water? bleeh!

I may be blinkered but I don't seek vegetarianism as a viable diet alternative I would only go veggie if I was doing it on either moral or cost grounds
  • 5 portions of fruit and veg advice was picked because the health department thought if they put the target too high then most people wouldn't even try. The actual amount for most health benefits is nearer 9.
  • martin
    Pork pies are evil

Love hippo

(bloody nice tho)
  • .......I lie awake at night dreaming of Mmmmmmmelton Mmmmmmowbry....you can't buy pork pies in Germany. Boo!

Went to London last week and bought myself two packets of spicy Nik Naks. Naughty!

.........but nice.
  • oh i SEE

you cant get them ------
    Bit funny that isnt it-youd have thought a pork pie would have been very german really
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    I have been lurking since this thread started. Very interesting and informative as per usual.

It's interesting about the recommended portions of veg because I think I even exceed the Canada / France 10 a day. Not only do I have about 4 - 5 apples a day, but also a couple of nana's and then loads of veg on any plate of food.

What I think we (as a society) need to do is to step away from all the processed foods that everyone seems to exist on these days. Not just the boxed meals but also all the sandwich shops that are cropping up. In Scunthorpe there are now 3 Greggs takeaways within 100 metres of each other. A new Subways has just opened. And then there's Skelton's and other similar sandwich shops around. All of them sell not just sandwiches but also cakes, pies and pasties, etc.

When did we all start eating on the move anyway? I never used to notice it at all but every lunchtime now, I see hoards of people stuffing their faces whilst walking about. How can they even ENJOY the food? They're not giving themselves time to savour the texture, the taste?

Going back to basics and cooking fresh food means that you know exactly what you're getting and from where (most of the time).

WildWill is eminently sensible as usual on this topic. I've got a list of advice that he put in one of these threads once that I do pass out on occasion to people asking for advice on weight loss. Haven't got it with me at the moment but it was very succinct.
  • Hippo - yes, butter does contain trans fats - but not very much. It's the dosage that makes the difference.

The main source is stuff like biscuits that contain fat but don't need to be refrigerated. And especially anything that's been cooked in hot fat, ie crisps. Sorry. Ditto contain fat but don't need refrigerating.
  • Vood - if you'd bought lunch from Greggs, would you want to spend time savouring the texture and the taste?
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    Have no idea Mike - have never ever bought a sandwich from any of the places on the high street. Even in my 'bigger' days!
  • "Fat is evil" - things seem to be dividing into 3 camps
    - those who think fat is evil (raises cholesterol)
    - those who think carbs are evil (causes insulin swings)
    - those who think protein is evil (gives you bad breath and osteoporosis and maybe kidney trouble (Hipps??))

People love to have a villain to boo and hiss at.

The only regime proven to extend life is to reduce the total calorie intake.
  • I agree, Voods. I think the advice to "eat lots of small meals" or "graze" throughout the day, may well have contributed a great deal to the obesity epidemic, because people who are eating all the time WILL take in more total calories than those who eat three or four substantial meals a day and nothing in between. It's "invisible food". And most people won't graze on blueberries and celery. It's more likely to be some little delicacy from Melton Mowbray.

It also means our digestive system doesn't know where it's at, and insulin levels are likely to be high a lot of the time instead of rising and faling normally in response to meals. Insulin peaks and troughs are NORMAL.

MF, spot on. Reduce calorie intake, live longer (statistically). And as a bonus, it will feel SO MUCH longer!
  • Mike
    I dont think protein is evil
    Low protein diets for renal failure have never been proven to work-they just cuase malnutrition

Crisps ARE evil though

and i want some now
    you can have a high cholesterol with a low fat diet too
  • MartinH - I've not tried water, but fruit juice on your cornflakes/muesli is pretty nice. Apple juice is a good choice as it is not too sweet.