My dog's become dominant aggressive with me.

Any ideas on how i can stop Mr. Puff's Jack russell from growling and snapping at me?

I'm scared to be in the house with her now. We've had her a week and I didn't realise she was taking advantage. I let rip last night with techniques to make her feel inferior again, which kind of worked, but this morning she was having a right old go at me because I was going to work and she wasn't going to go out of the front door with me. when I go home I know she will go schizo if I try and put her lead on her and I am scared of being bitten. I have no confidence round dogs anyway, so it's doubly scarey when it's your own dog that's behaving like this.

help!

Comments

• buy (and read) the Dog Listener

don't resort to violence
    ignore her completely when you get home for a start..talk to her when you want to (i.e. call her to you when you're settled down and ready)
    go through doorways before her
    when you're getting ready to feed her, put her bowl on the table where she can see you putting food into it, but have a biscuit (human one!) or something like that behind it. put the food in her bowl, then pick up the biscuit from behind it and eat it, slowly and deliberatley. Let her see you eating it, but don't look at her.
  • TwoDogs.

Dog listener - will do

Would never resort to violence as
    a) i think that's how you get a naughty dog
    b) I'm too scared of her.

thanks for the advice. I'm hoping things will get better when we start training classes, but I'd rather try and nip this all in the bud before we get to the point where I'm a gibbering wreck

• I have a Golden Retriever pup at the mo and we are having similar behaviour. Its natural for dogs to try to work out their place in the hierarchy. They do seem to start at the top as top dog and work their way down, as opposed to starting at the bottom. Its little things that seem to get the message across. Certainly dont advise physical punishment. Dogs hate being ignored it seems. The ignoring thing until you are ready shows them that they are not the centre of your universe, you must always go through doors first, leader of the pack is just that, he/she leads. If doggy sits in the doorway, always move her as opposed to stepping round or over. Always eat first, make doggy wait until your finished before she gets her dinner. Again in the pack the top dog eats first, and the others get out of his way when he is around. I have found that there might be a lot of growling and snarling but it never turns into anything more, its doggy testing your resolve and using bully tactics. I always try to distract the dog when this behaviour shows, play a game (nicely - no teeth) or if doggy persists then a few mins in solitary confinement usually does the trick. Shut her out of the room on her own for 10 mins to cool down. The fact that you have the power to do this gets the message home eventually that you are the boss. Good luck, and enjoy, one things for sure they are hard work and you have to be persistent but they all learn in the end.
  • Hi Puff - wot a nightmare, Speak to Sian Edwards on the forum, she workd for Dogs Trust and has some great advice.

Stu
  • forestrunner - she always resorts to her teeth when playing. i've stopped the game the moment she does it but she hasn't learned.

Didn't play with her at all yesterday until late evening, to try and get the message across, but the first thing she did was start snapping and growling again so i stopped the game.

feel like I'm being very hard on her and using bullying tactics (not violent though). but if it works, then i will do everything you and twodogs have suggested. Thank you
  • Will do that too, thanks Stuart. Where ddoes she normally hang out?
  • Dogs and teeth is a real hard habit to break. In the litter they are all nipping and chewing each other the moment they are able, and sure enough they think they can do it to you. Consistency again is all I can suggest, thats all I am doing. The moment the biting starts the games stop, and the toy is taken away. This is another thing showing your power, you control the toys. I have very special toys which I use to play with the dog, and doggy has a few of his own to chew which I dont play with. That way my toys are far more exciting, and therefore its so much more disappointing when the game stops and the toy is taken away. If its hands which are being bitten, clench your fist, it makes it harder to bite on, and with your other hand reach for a soft toy and wiggle it to distract the dog away from your hand. Dog should learn eventually that hands are no fun whatsoever.One other thing I saw was in playing games, avoid the tug of war ones as they encourage aggression. Not sure about that one, as our pup loves those, so he has a few goes like that now and again, but if you do tug of war make sure you win more often then lose. If doggy keeps winning, he thinks he is stronger than you!
  • Puff

Standard technique used by Husky team drivers to maintain dominance over the lead dog.

(Its probably best to get Mr Puff to help you to do this - always assuming that you want to)

Take the little devil out in the garden and wee on him....

(Probably also best done under cover of darkness)

And if that doesn't get this thread cazzed -nothing will
  • LOL!

However, I think she has already been introduced to sausages from the fridge and may get a little confused by what Mr. Puff has in his hand...
  • (Tears come into FR's eyes at the possible consequences.)

be an interesting interview with the triage nurse at A&E for him though......
  • I bet it's happened somewhere. there are a lot of weirdos about.
  • This of course from a guy who once presented himself at his GP's surgery with cracked ribs caused by.....

A sheep.

Don't ask - just dont
  • Hate to put a dampener on this but I had a Golden Cicker Spaniel many years ago. at about 10 months old he started getting very aggressive with lots of barring of teeth and snarling. This seemed to start when we gave him his first real bone.

It got to the pont that if you so much as looked at him he would fly accross the roam at you in a complete rage.

Took him to the vet and he consulted with his partners with no real answer, they thought that he had a top dog mentality and was unlikely to be broken.

By then he was 18 months old and we had a young baby and one day he pulled her nappy off her and wouldn't let her mother near her.

That was it I'm afraid, daughter or dog?

Very sad day when I tokk a perfectly behaved(for once) dog to the vets and had him put down. I know it was the right decission but still sobbed my heart out.

everal months later I was listening to the radio and a vet was talking about 'Rage Syndrome' which he said affected pedigree breeds, Cockers and retrievers in particular and is caused by too much in breading. Symtoms exactly described my dogs.

I wish I had known about these dog psycholgy books then, I would have tried anything.

Good Luck
  • Thanks Stu for the vote of confidence.

Jan Fennel's book 'the dog listener' has its critics, but I advise it as it helps to understand why dogs do what they do.

The key to all dog training is training yourself to be consistant and fair (easier said than done!)

Your dog will pick up on your insecurities and think "jeez, nobody here know's what they are doing - i'd better take control!"

You say you've only had her a week? Not excusing her from her behaviour but she is doing what she is doing partly due to 250 years of breeding to be a little fighter and partly because of her past experiences.

A week is not long for a dog to settle, and I agree this issue shouldn't be left to fester, it would be worth remembering that the dog is probably just as bewildered and shocked at the situation as you are.

If you'd like to email me your address I will post you some useful booklets from Dogs Trust, which along with 'the dog listener' book should help you understand her behaviour and how your behaviour can help to resolve the issue.

Another excellent book is called 'Don't shoot the dog'. It's a brilliant read even if you don't have dog, but will also help your understanding of the situation.

sianedwards@dogstrust45.freeserve.co.uk
  • what's she like with Mr. Puff. does she dominate him too? More to the point does he do anything to stop her when she is aggressive with you? If pouch sees him as top dog, if he checks her when she is turning on you & ignores her after for a while, that may help.

Must admit we had a dog like that once & i event. lost my temper & balled the dog out in such terms that shocked him(or deafened him) into realising that i was top dog not him.
  • No one going to suggest just giving it a swift kick in the ......

OK just a thought
  • Thanks guys and gals. This thread has been an education! I could've told you how to raise a pet bird, but not a dog. Hadn't given so much thought to pack psychology. Very interesting.
  • When my rottie went through the rebelious teenage years, We had some proper full on fights. blood was spilt on numerous occassions, by both of us. Seems to have done the trick I now have a very lovely, obedient rottie. I guess you just have to show you're the alpha leader. Which ever method you chose, keep at it. It will work eventually.
  • Boo - you have mail.

Nelle - i think she tries it on with both of us, but becasue Mr. Puff doesn't have my fear of dogs he is more inclined to push her away when she plays up, where as i tend to adopt a more "look i'm unarmed and i am not a threat to you" stance.

She plays up with him and the lead - by the sounds of it this morning he was having a right old game of it. also, this morning he went round the back way when she refused to move into the lounge to let him through the front door (we shut the hall/lounge connecting door before opening the front door to prevent her legging it.

so, not quite so aggressive but still quite bolshy.

He also encouraged her to play tuggie till she growled saying it was normal behaviour as was the teeth round the fingers routine, even though I asked him not to encourage that kind of thing right from the start.

i am thinking that next time she tries growling and teeth bearing, it may be worth a very loud "Stop" or "enough", although I am afraid that raising my voice may provoke her more. Or is it a case of the louder the voice the more dominant you are?
  • Many thanks to all of you that have responded to this. i have oredered the books recommended by you guys (isn't amazon great?) and hopefully i will be able to get a handle on what is happening with doggy in the near future
  • When our Bearded collie was a pup we were advised to shout "NO" sharply loudly at the same grab him by the skin on the back of the neck and shake vigorously for a few seconds then shut out the room to calm down ; apparently this is like a public dressing down and very embarassing to the dog . Similar to what his mother would do ; okay his mother could not shout NO but would do the shaking bit . Keep this up until shouting NO loudly and sharply stopped the errant behaviour . Worked a treat . He still hates the neck grabbing and shaking bit but only have to do this once in a blue moon when he will not come out the sea when called; I ain't going in after him .
  • The 'shake and no' proceedure can be very effective without being harsh if used at the right time in the right situation ie not ideal for a dog with fear based agression for example!

Just a point though Steveo - if you do this when you dog does come out of the sea (eventually!), aren't you actually telling him off for doing so?

Dogs don't understand the 'delay'. If you do the 'shake and no' after he has finally come back to you then you are punishing him for actually coming back (however slow).

Puff - I've replied to your mail also. Info in the post.

Just in reply to you question the 'loudness' of your voice has little to do with it. You can sound assertive without shouting. Also bear in mind that sometimes dogs behave in a certain way to get attention and us responding by shouting/pushing away etc, although it seems negative to us, it actually a 'reward' for the dog. I guess it's a bit like a kid playing up just to get attention even if that attention is punishment. Sometimes ignoring the behaviour (no eye contact, nothing) gets the dog to try something else, the minute then the behaviour changes to something you like, you can reward.

Also you mention the 'tug of war game'. These games are fine and are often used by puppy in their packs to help them sort out who is top dog for the future. In this case however I would suggest that if the game is being played, the human always 'wins' the tug and the game ends with the toy being totally taken away by the human. This can help establish the human as 'top dog' when used consistantly with other training techniques.

If your little dog really enjoys toys that's a great bonus for you as a game of fetch/tug whatever can be used as a reward in training. This is espcially usefull if your dog isn't very food motivated.
  • Boo....
    Agree with you . He seems to be having his idea of Fun . Its when I stand at the sea edge and tell him to get out and he refuses to come out ie he knows the consequencies so my theory is the consequecies have to be enforced . This is normally only once in a Blue moon and normally when I am at the sea edge and tell him to get he does .
  • agree with everything Boo has said.. nice to have a dog thread uninhabited by the "all dogs are evil" brigade!
    Training dogs by punishing is very very difficult...timing is everything. Much better to train by reward. Also, if you're playing with the dog and it gets overexcited and starts trying to overstep its position, stop playing and either walk away, or put it in a "time out" place for a few minutes...you'll be amazed at the difference.
  • Steveo - I see what you saying but could your dog be thinking "I'm not getting out and going to him, last time he told me off"? When he does come back to you do you give him loads of praise and fuss? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, it certainly seems like you know what you are doing...just a thought that's all.
  • Tell Mr Puff to build a kennel in the yard and turf the mutt out of the house into that (and Mr Puff as well if he protests).
  • Puff, sorry to hear you have been having problems with your dog, lots of good advise from everyone.

My only suggestion is if your dogs behaviour does not improve I would suggest you get a referral from your vet to go see an animal behaviourist so someone completely independent can observe your dogs behaviour and give advise and more importantly give you more confidence in dealing with him. Often these behaviourist are attached to the vet and won't cost any more than the cost of a visit to the vet.

Sorry if you have mentioned this already but how old is the dog? and has it been neutered?
  • Btw, I hope your other half doesn't mind me referring to him as Mr Puff :-)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    My cat's called Mr Puffles!
  • When my dad died, their dog immediately tried to take control of the household and he was a BIG dog. He terrorised mum to the point she was scared of him. She called in a dog therapist/psychologist who gave her quite a few tips, some of which have already been given to you. She had to ignore him till she was ready, make him move out of the way etc. Also, he advised her to use something to make him take notice of her. She had a large bunch of keys which she threw toward him (not AT him although I think she was tempted at times) when he was misbehaving. This seemed to pull him up short. All in all, it took a week or so for her to regain control of the situation.

Good luck Puff. The dog will soon learn if you assert yourself.