My dog's become dominant aggressive with me.

2»

Comments

• hi puff, just caught the problem you're having with your jack! i read jan fennell's 'the dog listener' on the advice of my friend who trains dogs for 'guide dogs' (we are also running marathon for them this year). it literally saved my dogs life. he is a very dominant alpha male and boy, were we having problems. anyway, read the book and applied the method (to the letter) and it works. i mean really works!! having done the courses jan fennell runs wayne and i are now running a successful consultancy and see it working all the time with our clients. if you would like some quick before you get hold of the book drop me an e-mail with your phone number i'll give you some one to one (for free) - there are some immediate things you can do to alleviate the tension in the house and to give your dog the message that he does not have to be the one in charge. it really isn't his fault!! unfortunately with some dogs they are dominant and have a survival mechanism which causes them to challenge you for leadership. if you aren't up to the job (in his/her eyes) you will come up against a barrage of challenges that will drive you round the bend - and back!! anyway, the offer is there if you want it!! please don't use any threatening actions towards him - it won't work in the long run it will just escalate things and make the dog frightened of you which is not the point of owning a dog. sorry if this offends anyone - not meant to!! hope to hear from you!
  • oops that was meant to say 'quick advice'
  • Lots of great advice on here, it's definitely true that dogs understand pack psychology from birth and are happiest once they know exactly where they stand in the social hierarchy. The key thing is to establish your status as alpha person; dogs understand 'me boss, you not' extremely well. Rewarding good behaviour works very well, as does ignoring a dog which exhibits undesirable behaviours, or banishing it for a time-out. My female is normally well behaved but any time she slips, I send her downstairs to the cellar to cool off. Works every time. Also a good idea to feed your dog after you've had your meal, never before,, to reinforce the social order.
  • just a qwuick update on how things have progressed. I followed all your advice that i could cope with (so long as it didn't involve anything where Lucy could get hold of my fingers) and i think she had the shock of her life - we may have been a bit harsh in the way we applied the "I'm the boss techniques" but she has been a lot better over the weekend. We had one attempt on my fingers on SAturday morning, but a firm sit adn a stern placing the lead back on the table adn walking away, led to some pawing and being nice and a nice sit while we attached it. simialrly, the food techniques laid out by you guys (after us, plus pretending I was eating a little of it) led to some good non-snatching and jumping behaviour. she even "asks" to sit on the sofa now.

We are still trying to persuade her that off means off and not please continue to chew our hair/hands etc. but she is a lot better behaved.

also, I had told Mr. Puff right at teh start that i thought her collar was causing her problems (sher had a cheap leather one with studs all over it and her neck was red raw). We bought her a new soft webbing one and she has been MUCH better since, which suggests she mayhave been in permananent distress everytime we went out or tried to handle her by the collar.

Will mail tallulah asap.

Jane - she is an entire bitch, one year old. we are getting her done as soon as we can!

thank you again for all your time - i really appreciate it and so does Mr. Puff. i'm sure Lucy does too
  • non-jumping behaviour. we aren't encouraging her to jump up - obviously
  • ((Puff))

Just seen this thread - you've had some great advice here and I'm so glad it seems to be taking hold

Do remember that there can be the odd relapse however!

My own adopted "Lucy" even now has the occasional lapse when she thinks she's boss and we've had her almost 7 years now!

However.....we soon rectify it and over time this has happened less and less frequently.
    I try to remember what a bad start in life she had (4 familes by the age of 1, so malnourished couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes, couldn't be speyed for several months as too thin to undergo surgery etc etc).
    There were times I could have scragged her in the early months but the persistance has been worth it - I wouldn't swap her for the world now (most of the time!!)
  • glad to see things are starting to work out, Puff. Remember tho, you will always need to assert your authority..if the dog thinks you've lost it, she will feel that she needs to step and take over (which will probably make her anxious, as she may well feel that she isn't up to it!)
    good luck...when things are tough, just remember that unconditional love that dogs provide!
  • got to say there is nothing like the welcome she gives you first thing in the morning and when you come in at night. always bouncing and happy. It's one part of her we wouldn't want to change.

that and when she's curled up on my lap nodding off to sleep, or stretched out having her tummy tickled.

she is a cutie when she's good. and very funny.

she delicately picks her way round puddles, and hates driving rain and snow (she "disappeared yesterday", then I felt a scrabbling under my coat as she tried to climb my backside to get out of the weather. Very funny).

I wouldn't get rid of her for the world now :o)
  • you won't change that, Puff..infact, she'll probably be more like that, cos she'll be more relaxed! my two are still like that, aged nearly 5!
    (they pick they're way round puddles when they're on the lead, but go and lie in the very same puddles as soon as they're off!!)
  • Glad to hear it TwoDogs. we thought we'd overdone the dominance bit to start with becasue she became very subdued so we lightened up and she does seem a lot happier now. doesn't pull her "confused face" quite so much
  • Brilliant advice on here. It's really good to hear that people are actually starting to think about canine behaviour, rather than putting up with being terrorised by the little darlings!
  • just a quick thank you to everyone of you who pointed me in the right direction with lucy. We were in tears the first night we ignored her.

by tuesday morning she was alot calmer although she still gets seperation anxiety.

yesterday i asked her to scome to me aqnd she was ever so quiet and good natured and very gentle. No snatching at her treats etc etc. the books that were recommended have arrived and i will be paying good attention.

I cannot thank you all enough for this. Sanity has been restored

• Well done you for being open minded enough to look at your behaviour rather than just blame the dog which is what often happens.

There'll be ups and downs but keep at it and focused on the books.

It sounds like you are doing a grand job already!
  • A friend of mine (a vet nurse) recommends crating a dog when you go out for separation anxiety - it is natural for wild dogs to have a den, and most dogs will respond well to an enclosure with something of yours, eg an old sweater, so they can smell the 'pack' inside the crate. Apparently it's not cruel at all to do this even though it may seem so to us.