Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• Thanks Jill! When shall we go down then? Next week in the hols?

Well done Skip! How do you stay so motivated post-London?
  • I think I keep motivated because I run with a club and at the moment the p'bs just keep coming because of all the training I have 'in the bank.' My ambition is to get GFA at FLM and be a 4th class runner with my club which I can nearly achieve but not quite. When I have done that I am just going to run for fun (I hope!!!)
  • Sodbury Slog anyone?

I know it is November but you have toplan ahead!!
  • How's everyone keeping? I am feeling really stiff at the moment, worse than after FLM, because I did a 16½ mile sponsored walk on Sunday for our local hospice. Why I should be in so much pain I don't know as I have been retaining my fitness. My hips are the most sore ... perhaps its my old age catching up on me!!
    The dog came too and she has spent most of today in bed sleeping; she is also moving around rather stiffly but then she is 11 years old!

Any good runs to be done out there? ... I am going to stick with 10 and 5 Kms for a while, until I do Bristol Half in October.
  • Maybe you should have run it Jill you would probably have found it easier.

I have a 5 or so mile club race tonight which looks ok, not as hard or hilly as the last one. Then the R4L on Sunday.
    Then next Sunday is the Salisbury 10. I cant believe that has come round so quick - not done any runs longer than 8 miles but they have been very hilly ones so hoping that will make up for it
  • I did Chorley 10 mile on Sunday and found it really hard work, had to lie down for the rest of the day and am still worn out. Did a reasonable time of 1.24.35 but really pushed myself. I have kept my fitness up but I think something is telling me to slow down for a bit, either that or its down to the horrible weather!!!
  • Forgot to tell everyone. The 5 mile club run was actually a 10k and I did it in 58:06!!!!! It was an undulating course along a canal in part called the 14 locks so you can imagine it wasnt flat!

I was so chuffed. I took 2mins 25 off Yeovilton and that was a lot flatter!!!!

Yipee!!

Race 4 Life Sunday so hoping to do around 27mins!!!
  • Well despite the heat I did the R4L and just managed to beat the 27 mins!

26:58 - so taken another minute and half off that pb too!

Did suffer in the heat though so could possibly have gone quicker if it had been cooler.
  • Well done Rio. I have not been running much recently as have been so busy at school. Today I am having a rest day as my family is spoiling me because it is my 50th birthday!!. Intend to get back into proper training by the weekend.
  • I have got Salisbury on Sunday and not sure I am looking forward to it as it is going to be a scorcher and the race doesnt start until 11am so that is me running in the midday sun then!!

What is the saying about mad dogs and Englishmen?........

Hope you had a very happy birthday Jill and celebrated in style!
  • Hello ghost town!!!

I'm currently in Iraq (again!) so haven't been running for a while. It's been hitting 50+ most days so i haven't dared train. I will have to start again for next years FLM when i get back.

Hope you are all well.

Take care.
  • Hasn't this gone incredibly quiet! I had a fantastic 50th birthday back in June. Since then I have been up to my eyes in school work and OU studies. About to write my final assignment this weekend hopefully finishing before I go on holiday next week. All that remains is my end of course assignment but it is big and VERY nasty!

Great running news though. Last weekend I did the Race for Life, 5KM, amazing myself, in fact almost giving myself a heart attack ................ I ran it in 21.04 mins .......... not bad eh??!!

Now preparing for Bristol Half in September and then my postponed Kilimanjaro climb in October.

............... keep on running friends!!XXXXXX
  • Wow Jill you are definitely back on form now!! I did my local R4L in 26:57 in the sweltering heat of June and I had to walk for a bit too!!

Rick that is ridiculous temperatures and you would be daft to run in them!! Makes me feel like a wimp not running in 32 degrees!

My 10k time is now down to 57mins too so things are definitley improving.

Was so lovely to be running in the rain yesterday.
    I am doing the Duathlon again in September then have GNR, Cardiff half and Torfaen half in October.
    Have also set my sights on a half ironman next year if I can afford it!!! So going to start the training anyway as it wont hurt as cross training for London next year!
  • Ok here we go again

Had confirmation of my place again with CwL
    and have my name down to run as Little Miss Naughty

Where is everyone else?
  • Hello All,

Not running next year. I have not got over this year yet, still having problems with my ITBS. Not let the time go by though without doing anything. I am curentley doing my level 2 in Officiating at Athletics
    I have also passed my level 1 in Coaching.

On the running side I am hoping to take part in the North Midlands Cross Country League this year.

Good luck to you all taking part in next years FLM. I will kepp popping on now and then.

Cheers

Sammy Snail

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Hi everyone,

Training hard for Cardiff Marathon, expecting to get nearer 3.45 and a good for age place for FLM.

Managed to do Newark half in 1.48.30 so I am still improving!!!! Hoping to do better at Nottingham half this Sunday. You not doing it Sammy?

Well done everyone else on their continuing improvment. Jill, wow that is a marvellous time for 5k.
  • just to let you all know Sarah and I got married on the 18th August 2006 we had a super day it fact just perfect!

the best day of my life.

still training for the ironman next year so fingers crossed.

take care and happy running to all :-D
  • Congrats Snorkins
    Hope to be joining you in an ironman soon. Half next year with fingers crossed and see how it goes from there
  • Rio Fair
    I'm running FLM 07 for CWL too. Hi! First marathon and I'm amazed/excited that they've offered me a place so soon. My husband ran for them in '04.
  • Hi TTKU
    they are a great charity to run for and will look after you as much as you need to (as you probably already know)

It is a fab day and I am sure you will have a ball.
    Will be my 4th so if you need any help that you cant get from hubby just ask
  • Thanks for that Rio Fair, I'm sure that I'll be asking your advice. Do you get involved in the training day for example? My husband couldn't go. But four times?! Any particular reason that you've chosen them as your charity?
  • I never go to the training day as it is too far to travel just for that. Though useful if you havent done one before.

I chose CwL originally because a few years ago I thought my son might have had it - he was having investigative tests and it was one of the things they were looking at. As it happens he was lucky but it got me thinking about all those children and families not so fortunate.
    So applied and got a place and they have been good enough to give me a place each year since.
    You will have a fab time and plenty of time to train too
  • Can anyone recommend hotels for FLM? Thought I'd be a bit organised for once.
  • I am staying in the Thistle Charing Cross cos it is near the finish and only a matter of rolling out of bed in the morning onto the train.

Depends on your budget really though and whether you want to be near the start or finish (for me that is easier when your legs are tired rather than fighting for a seat on the tube)
    The forumites usually get together pre and post race at Trafalgar Thistle which is only a short walk away (but a bit on the pricey side again this year)
  • So where are the rest of the team or am I running solo next year
  • I'm here! Sorry I didn't say thank you for hotel info. Seems Thistle is full already so resolved to stay with my sister. I've started thinking about my training programme - doing about 20 miles/week at the moment and start in earnest in January. How's your running Rio?
  • It is amazing how quick the hotels fill up.

My running is ticking over ok. DOing between 20-30 miles a week and like you my training will start in earnest Jan 1st

Have you got any races planned in the build up?
  • My husband is saying the Watford half which he has done twice, and I might try a couple of 10ks locally. Which ones do you do?
  • I am doing the Longleat, Salisbury and Easter Bunny 10ks and the Liverpool half.

Do you have a time in mind or are you just doing the sensible thing and going to enjoy the day and get your well earned medal at the end of it
  • I'm aiming for around 4.30 but as its my first I'm not going to worry too much about it - also don't know yet if I have the stamina. Not run more than 13 miles yet! What about you?