Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• Well I am running as Little Miss Naughty so it will be a get round this year. I would like to get close to 5 hours though so training with the weight now (well 4kg so far)

My best is 4:56 this year
    Would be great to beat that but we shall have to see.

You will do it but it does get tough after 20 miles and is different every time you do it
  • That hard slog AND a costume! It must get CWL noticed more so I admire you for doing it.

RE times I think I will be a lot closer to 5 hours realistically but I'm training with someone who's going for 4 so that might spur me along. My biggest worry tho is overdoing it and getting an injury so I'm going to be sensible when Jan 1st comes around. What is your attitude to diet/weight when you're training? I'm a little heavier than I'd like to be. Will the 10lbs come off when I up the training or should I be cutting out the flapjacks now?!
  • TTKU
    I wouldnt worry too much about the weight. Some people lose weight some gain a bit but whatever you will be getting fitter in the process (and muscle weighs more than fat)

It is a good idea to train for better than you hope for but do be flexible and rest is as important as training. Listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs
  • Thanks Rio Fair, that all sounds like good advice. My body told me last night that I didn't need to do a fartlek session with the club in the cold and wet although it probably didn't mean for me to stay at home and finish the children's chips instead! Feeling guilty so will do some hills tonight when my husband gets back.
  • Hello all

I hope you dont mind if I join you all.I tried last year to get a place thru both the ballot and golden bond off CWL and didnt suceed in either.This year ive applied again for both the ballot and golden bond place.Ive had my cheque cashed so im assuming im in thru the ballot-if so then ive no worries about a place off CWL, and i,ll still run for CWL.

Hello Rio,are you the lass who was also on this years GNR thread??
  • Yes Mick I was on the GNR thread.

how have you been?
  • Hello rio

aye ive been champion-still keeping myself fit and well.How about your good self?
  • I am good too. Running with the extra weights can be tough doing a hill or speed session but it is all in a good cause so got to be done
    And I dont think I will get round if I dont start now.
    Hoping to do sub 60 for 10k on the 10th but it is a hilly course and likely to be muddy too so we shall see. going to give it a go though
    And then training proper starts Jan 1st
  • Is anyone out there? How is training going? Are any Golden Bonders going to the FLM training days next month? Anyone else feeling a little more "cuddly" after Christmas?
  • I am still here TTKU
    Training going fine.
    Not going to the training days - too far to travel and dont think I need them anyway.

I have a club place now but will still be running for CwL so at least I dont have the worry about raising extra money, just whatever I can. Would still like to get around £1000 though

Lost my post Christmas "cuddlyness" again now.

how is your training going?
  • Hello! I'm new to this group so I though it only polite to introduce myself!
    I have run for CWL a couple of times - London last year and Chicago this year (own place in both) I've been lucky enough to get a ballot place again this year and will be pestering friends and neighbours soon to get some sponsorship. My target is sub-4 hours timewise, and £1500 in money.

Rio - you're very brave running in a costume - I find my running vest too heavy after 20 miles!! Good luck.
  • Shenders. Since I posted that I would be running in a costume I have been given one of our club places so am forgoing that privelege until next year (unless I am lucky enough to get through the ballot)

You must be a speedy type to do sub 4. I am going for 4.15ish
    Are you doing any warm up races?
  • Hi Rio
    I'm probably going to do the Silverstone Half - which I have for the last 3 years - plus maybe the Watford Half - but I may have already missed the deadline, I'll have to check.

The best warm up I did last year was the CWL training day - it was really good, I think about 60 or 70 people turned up. A pep talk, a 20 mile run in Hyde Park and a buffet lunch afterwards.
    How about you, what have you got planned?
  • Hi Everyone, I'm Jo also running for CWL, like Shenders I'm desperate to do under 4 tho feeling a little sceptical!!!!!!! Ran FLM 2 years ago in 4.35 and did Loch Ness in October in 4.32 tho had been hampered by injury til literally the last few days before and hadn't run for 10 days! Its also quite hilly!! Would love to know what training plan you are running Shenders and what sort of times you are doing??? I can truly only fit in 4 days of training 5 absolute tops as I teach and have 3 kids and at the moment organising big fund raising fashion show for CWL in Eastbourne. Mad oh yes. Hubbie and kids definate on that one. x p.s anyone in East Sussex wanting to go to fashion show in Eastbourne on 22nd March let me know!!!
  • Hello all

Good luck to you all with the fundraising events and badgering people to give you the odd shrapnal.I've got my own place thru the ballot and trying to raise as much as I can.

Last October I ran the Abingdon marathon after training to the 4hr programme CWL had sent to me.I got round in 4hr3mins,just outside my pb.So for London im following the 3hr plan-hopefully to get round in 3hr30ish.

Im only doing one half marathon as prep for London-the Redcar half on the 18th March.

Keep up the hardwork everyone.
  • Rio - training going fine thanks. I'm following Sam Murphy's plan which is quite gentle at the moment. Longest run was 8 miles this week (done yesterday), plus three other short sessions.

Hello to all the the new threaders. Shenders, what do you think of Silverstone? I was wondering whether to do this one or Milton Keynes.
  • Trying to keep it up.............whats Sam Murphys plan???
  • Hi Jo
    Sam Murphy wrote among others the book "Marathon - from start to finish". I recently got it and love it as she's a woman and her style and plans are really approachable. Unlike you this is my first marathon so I need lots of help and advice! I found out that she's one of the speakers at the golden bond days in February - are you going? Good luck with your CWL fashion show also. Any special reason that you support CWL?
  • thank you, I'll look up book........thanks for luck for fashion show going to need it had no idea it would involve so much planning, hardly time to run!! Supporting CWL as I run a nursery school and one of my childrens brothers died of leukaemia. What about you? Hope to make one of the Golden Bond days are you going?
  • Hi Jo, well that's a good reason to run. My daughter died four and a half years ago from leukaemia aged 5 so we've supported CWL since then. Horrible disease. I'm planning to go to the golden bond day on the sunday, which I think is the 3rd Feb, although my husband told me he's entered a local half marathon that day too so we're going to have to do a bit of child-juggling! CWL are doing their own day but don't know the date. Apparently it involves a 20 mile run round Hyde Park so I'm hoping it's not too soon! Have you run for them before?
  • I'm so sorry about your daughter. No last time I ran for Help The Hospices as my mother died of cancer..............20 miles does sound a long way at this stage and I seem to have lost all my info about it, was it sent via email or post?? Also have you got your vest yet??
  • Jo - thanks for that. I'm sorry to hear about your mother too. I guess we all have our reasons for this insane running that we do. The details haven't been confirmed for the CWL day as apparently FLM does not like charities to promote their own training days until after theirs has taken place, which I suppose is fair enough, so no dates as of yet. I haven't got my vest but my husband ran for them two years ago and for that we printed a picture of our daughter on the white bit where the number should go - there is room for both, just - so I'll probably use that + it's properly worn in!
  • Jigger - I've also done Loch Ness - twice now 2004 & 2005. 'Quite hilly' is a good way to describe it - especially that long hill at about 17 miles! It must go down as my favourite, as the scenery is so good.
    I'm training at the moment on 4 runs a week. I do a long run on a weekend - 14 miles now, but working my way up to 20/22 over the next few weeks. I do 2 lunchtime runs of 8.5 miles in Hyde Park; and I'll be upping this to 3 times a week soon - but maybe the extra one would be a bit shorter; plus 1 evening on the treadmill at the gym doing a Yasso 800 session - I'm doing 7:30 pace for the 1/2 mile, which is targetting a 3:45 marathon. Plus a bit of stretching and weight training, especially on my lower back. If I can keep this up without injury, I'm really trying for 3:45-ish. My PB so far is 3:51, so I hope it is achievable. I've been doing the long runs 30 seconds slower than target pace, and the shorter runs maybe 30-45 seconds faster. Does it work?? Ask me in April!!

TTKU - Is Siverstone good? - it's good if this is your first marathon as you'll get the feel of a 'big' race, but FLM is so much bigger. It's very wide open - two of the laps are on the race track. It's reasonably flat, which is good. The downside is there is not a lot of support - except in the stand by the finish. But if you like Formula 1, as you power down the finishing straight humming the guitar riffs from Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain', you suddenly realise that Mr Schumacher would have finished his three laps about 2 hours earlier. It brings you back to reality....

Good luck to everyone with their fund-raising. Hope it all goes well.
  • Morning everyone. Glad you are all training well.
    I am sorry to hear about the children you have lost. It makes me so grateful that they only thought my son had Leukaemia and that it turned out not to be. But knowing that CwL support families and are trying to erradicate this awful disease is why I run for them. You are all so brave and are my inspiration.

I am doing a couple of halves with a 20 mile race in between.

I dont think they have issued the vests yet. But wont be long. I wont be running in a CwL vest this year as I have to wear my club one. But am hoping to take my lucky mascot (a Mr Tickle cuddly toy) that has been with me on my previous 3.

Starting my fundraising this week. I am doing a "guess my finish time" as well as a buffet lunch and raffle in work. Hopefully that will get me a couple of hundred. We shall see

Happy training everyone
  • Boy - is it quiet here!?! I guess you all must be out training hard and fund-raising like mad.
    I've been slacking a bit on both counts recently so need to get my a**e into gear again and get on with things. After seeming so far away for so long, there is now less than 9 weeks to go - or seven weeks and a 2-week taper. Yikes!
  • Yep it will start coming round quickly now.
    Hope everyones training is going well and there are no injuries or lurgy to report
  • Welcome back Rio

I hope you had a good time away from the office. My training is going reasonably well. Have problem with foot but under control. Did 15 yesturday well most of it anyway. Still on course to run with you in FLM (until you leave me) Take care Regards to the family
  • Was all work and no play so not much fun really. I did 11 yesterday. Have been struggling with a cough for a couple of weeks but determined not to let it get the better of me.
    Looking forward to catching up soon, wont be long now
  • Rio

Do you know which day you are coming to the expo. Would like to take you to lunch if ok. My treat.
  • Will be there on the Thursday as usual. Lunch would be nice