Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• I'm P.E. teacher so you would think that I would have built up a resistance to bugs etc!! Law of sod, me thinks! Still I'm gonaa go out in a bit see how I feel.

Oh yea don't ever say 'I've managed not to get colds and injuries etc'-

its like saying 'right make this the last ran of the day, on a skiing holiday!

we all know it will end in tears!
  • I know but somethimes you just have to tempt fate?!!
  • I mean run, not ran! maybe it is true about P.E. teachers being thick!
  • no just their minds are elsewhere!!!
  • I think it was just cumulatuve effects of training. Im not limping or anything but trying to listen to my body so it will work for me on the 17th april!

IM a sports coach ED and I pick up every cold going ( Ive also caught nits form the kids a couple of times ... mmm nice NOT)
  • i know where i rather be!
  • Male PE teachers were all wannabe ( or ex) Sgt Majors and the women PE teachers were all lesbians ( or again rumoured to be)

WE used to joke that you wouldnt get a job unless you fitted the mould
  • did you know that men (i heard this from a doctor - i am not sure if its true, but i've never had them!) dont really catch nits, as they dont like the taste of the males blood!!

you learn something new everyday!
  • LOL thats not true! They dont get them as often becuase they dont 'do' close head to head contact and cuddles as often.( so they dont get crawled onto!)
    My son has had them several times. My husbands hair is so short theres nowhere for them to live!
  • I should hope they dont cuddles often! I teach P.E. from reception (5year old up) to Year 9 (14 years old) and have so far managed not to 'catch' them, must be luck rather than judgement!

Is it true about the only liking clean hair? Maybe thats other reason why I havent got them, maybe i should wash my hair a bit more!
  • Hi all,

Just been out for a 8 mile jog/ walk. Did it in 1hr 25min and no pain so i am happy again. This recovery is taking a long time but best be safe. I am looking at increasing my milage by 2 mile per week so the weekend before the FLM I shouuld be at 20 mile. Does this sound ok or am I pushing it to much. 8 mile is the most I have done in one session. Keep the feed back coming as I am listening honest.
  • Hi folks

I have finally decided that I WILL be raising money for charity this year and have chosen CWL. I've got a GFA place, so that's no worry, and I'm not so bothered about kit, as I shall either run in club colours or the vest that my firm paid for (to justify the sponsorship).

This may sound a little mercenary, but do CWL have a pre-race pasta party? If so, where abouts is it? I think that I've finally got myself a room at the County Hall Travel Inn.

It sounds like there are quite a few first timers here. Good luck with the training and the fundraising! I found that one side always seemed to help motivate the other. I would also recommend a session with a sports physio even if you're not damaged. It can help sort out those sore hips/knees/calves etc. I have preventive sessions rather than repair ones now. A much happier state of affairs.

As for nits - forget the insecticide approach, we all use conditioner and nit comb. Apparently they can't hold on. 2 treatments 4 days apart and it's all sorted.

Right. Training.
    (That is, booking the train tickets!)
  • been struggling with a cold this weekend so not much running for me (30miles at most)! did a leisurely 8 miler this morning felt quiet good, but now that i'm back indoors i'm struggling again with a blocked nose and cold feeling at the back of your throat!
  • Hi guys...
    Urgh I am exhausted from a weekend away on the lash in Brussels with work - did 2 hrs on the treadmill on Friday morning because it was just too icy to run properly outside...and then stunned everyone by going running in Brussels on Saturday afternoon(cobbles!) (HILLS?!) whilst almost everyone else was in the pub...the 3am finish in a club has certainly taken its toll now though. No more alcohol for me till the evening of 17/4..

Hey but get this - a client has just sponsored me £1000 ! ! ! !

Ed - try echinacea and zinc to stave off the lergi?
  • Thanks for the tip already giving the echinacea ago with loads of vit C, but I try out the zinc too!

Was it really that cold in Brussels - ice?

£1000!!!!! that's amazing do they have more money then sense or are they just really nice people.
  • The ice was in Esher on Friday morning before we went. i tried running on the roadside but then got caught twice by uncaring gits in flash motors who drove through puddles so fast that I was soaked through with near-freezing water...

The clients in question have been lovely to me throughout the time I have worked for them. Fabulous wedding present; generous gift and weekend away in Dublin for my husband and I when I won their case; and now this. I have quite a lump in my throat at their generosity!!
  • OMG £1000
    Im struggling with the fundraising.
    My total is only £350 so far... people just dont seem to be being V generous. Im asking everyone but Im getting a fiver here or there or a No becuase people gave to the tsunami appeal ( which of course is the only charity in the world worth supporting at the mo... NOT)
    Most of my good sponsorship has come from online friends.
  • It's incredibly frustrating that the tsunami appeal , which should have been a wake-up call to people that charitable giving is important, now seems to be used as an excuse not to give further!

Jenny, maybe try appealing to people's greedy side:

Why not run a sweepstake on how fast you will finish? A fiver a go and the person who is nearest to your actual time on the day gets a bottle of bubbly? (the bubbly could just be cava or bubble bath!!!!)

• The ice was in Esher on Friday morning before we went. i tried running on the roadside but then got caught twice by uncaring gits in flash motors who drove through puddles so fast that I was soaked through with near-freezing water...

The clients in question have been lovely to me throughout the time I have worked for them. Fabulous wedding present; generous gift and weekend away in Dublin for my husband and I when I won their case; and now this. I have quite a lump in my throat at their generosity!!
  • Just been out did a short recovery run after yesterday its bl@@dy cold outside lots of frozen puddles, glad i had my gloves on!

Alex, Your clients look after you - I was the kids I teach did the same it'd great!

To be far their parents have given around £400, so they're not all that bad.
  • 'I wish the kids I teach did the same'-

knot wot eye wote!

god eyem so fick!!!!
  • Hi, Im running for CWL, my trainings going ok, just trying to stay motivated very hard with the weather being so cold. Trying to organise my fund raising, how people doing with it, any good tips??
  • Top tips:
    1)Develop a thick skin. A polite rejection does not hurt. A smack on the nose is different. I've never had one of those.

2)Have several sponsor forms with you at all times. Blanks are available on the Inland Revenue website that enable Gift Aid to be claimed.

3)Never offer someone an empty form, always make sure that it has been started with a reasonably generous donation. In my circles that's about £10. Write it in yourself if you have to, but remember to Tippex it out later if it is a duplicate entry!

4)If the donation level dips down to £1 or £2 then stop using that sponsor form.

5)Get cash up front. People trust you to deliver, and it saves on you having to double up the collecting work.

6)The big money comes from corporate contacts. Keep it legitimate, you want to keep your job, but there is such a thing as "oiling the wheels of industry". It depends upon how you define "reasonable levels". An MD driving a new Merc every year is not going to notice a £1000. In fact it is likely to be a good tax dodge. Suppliers of goods and services are the key players, but talk to the top people.

7) Your own employer. Ask for a deal that is "equal and matching" maybe with an upper limit of a few grand.

8) Itemise your various social circles, and target each group in turn. It's too hard to tackle them all at the same time, so set targets on a weekly basis.

9) Be creative, and put the fun into fundraising. Loads of ideas elsewhere, but they can be supplied upon request...!

10) I'm sure that there is a "10".
  • Hi Lucinda

a good tip, don't have fish and chips like i did for tea then run for half an hour, felt a tad sick!
  • yuk!

I will try that, a sweepstake with prizes and £1 per guess or something I think
  • blisters those are really great tips! will really get going on the fundraising this week...

the other thing to do is to enlist your parents as fundraising lieutenants - my Dad is retired and has thrown himself into tapping everyone he knows for a bit of cash as a "project" and my mother-in-law has promised to do the same at her church in northern ireland.

PS Ed. I saw you on the Nell thread. SHAME ON YOU!!!
  • Sorry I feel bad now, still she is rather pleasant on the eyes!

And yes my girlfriend did see it! I was told -

'In your dreams!'
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Morning all

I've just spent about half an hour , if not more, catching up on all the previous comments!

I too am running for CWL but feeling a bit guilty. I was up to 10miles before xmas but since then have been plagued with colds, strep throat, MUMPS!! and most recently a bad knee.

With less than 7 weeks to go I'm really not sure how I'm going to make it round.

However, I received my copy of RW last night and what should be the cover story but a '6 week training marathon schedule' - written for me or what!!

It does give me some hope that I can pull it together at the 11th hour.

I'm doing week 1 twice to make use of this week, so will be out doing about 4 miles tonight. Hope I make it round ok. My knee is not 100% yet but the sharp tear inducing spasms have gone.
  • hey blackcat. Just dont stress about your time. Getting round is a huge achievement in itself and frankly I dont think CWL care whether you run like the wind or crawl on your knees.
    You can do it and massive respect to you for trying after everything youve been through
  • seconded Jenny!

Blackcat, how can you feel guilty when all you've been is, er...unlucky!!

Just look after yourself now and be careful on that 6 week plan - it looks a bit full on to me and it comes with a health warning. As Jenny says, please don't stress about how fast you finish, just make sure you are in shape to finish, however slowly , and that you do so without doing yourself permanent damage!

Alex (Who has to go out at 0545 with her mad trainer for a 10 mile run on Thursday morning...oh god...)