Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Thanks

I do intend to be careful and am quite prepared to walk the whole 26.2miles if need be. I just want to cross the finish line and live to tell the tale - and set myself a time to beat next year of course.

0545 - Alex you must be mad!! Think most of mine will be evening runs so that I've time for a soak in the tub afterwards.

What is everyone doing to raise money? How much are you aiming for?

I've arranged a day at a local (big) supermarket, and am going to do a prize raffle once I get enough prizes together from local stores. I did start getting sponsorship a few months ago but a lot of people just said 'I'll sponsor you nearer the time' - I'm just hoping now that they remember what they said
  • 0545 will be a big ouch - I am NOT a morning person - but otherwise we'd be doing a 10M together on Sunday and I just don't think that will be enough (and given the pace i "run" at it is just not cost effective to have trainer out with me for all 16 miles!!!!)
    I have had a couple of off weeks on the long runs (weather and pace related) and need to get my confidence back up with a 16 miler before Silverstone a week on Sunday, so this is the only option. I shall, however, be "working from home" the rest of the day...and I'll do a cheeky 10K before work tomorrow I think, so this is turning into quite a big mileage week for me...
  • Hi everyone, 4th outing for CWL (First 3 through the ballot, this time with a GB). Hoping to finish in 4.30, having steadily chipped away at my PB each year. Anyone going to the post race lunch/massage?
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to the post race get together. I'll probably be crawling in long after everyone else though
  • Hi Mr A. Lunch? hell, YES if it is still on by the time I finish!!!!

Save some of everything for me...

Blackcat my sponsorship total now stands at £3,948. Jeez, suppose that means I have to turn up on the day doesn't it....!
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    How have you managed to achieve that much?

Have you got a lot of larger sponsors?
  • I work in one of the large London law firms so I have used psychological warfare to get one partner to pledge a really decent amount then the others sort of had to follow suit. I then just went round the whole of my group and stood over people until they coughed up, and then I emailed just about everyone I know on the off chance that I might pick up some random donations. I have been really lucky in that a couple of individuals have given £250 each which has blown me away! To be fair I won about £10million a few years back for the client which pledged £1000 so you could call that a return on an investment!!!
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, that's my problem. I work fo a charity, not CWL, so my colleagues aren't too giving, and I think a few a peeved that I'm not running for work - but I think CWL is a better cause!
  • I'm about to wander along my road to all the neighbours, in CwL running kit - several of them have seen me out and about so I think it is time for a little community spirit...

Don't forget that local churches often have a charity "budget" which they might be persuaded to part with if you ask nicely...
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. Will have to start asking everyone I meet.

I think carrying a sponsor form at all times is ideal.

Going to hit all the local businesses this week to see what I can get out of them.
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Well, I managed the 4 miles. I really expected to have a problem with it since I haven't run properly since before Christmas but it went pretty well.

I actually felt like I could have done more. I don't want to risk my knee flaring up again though so I'm going to stick to the training plan, which keeps it fairly simple for this week and next.

How many people are going to the training day? I'm going to be there, really hoping to meet a few friendly faces
  • Sorry people but i can't make it to the training day as i live in the north east and its a bit of a distance plus i've got shed loads of work at the mo' so i cant come, shame cos i heard there are good fun etc!
  • IM going, had my pack this morning. Thats as long as my hamstring gets better.
    Ive decided to shell out and see a physio, since my hamstring is niggling rather than excruciating until i run. Im wondering if a bit of treatment might put it right before the flora 1/2
  • Jenny - If I were you I would go to see the physio, some say they're good to use as a prevention instead of a cure?

Don't think it's selling out.
  • I agree entirely...much better to sort it out now before yo udo some real damage to yourself!

I'm afraid I can't go to the training day - H has arranged for friends to come down much earlier that day for 6 Nations watching and I'm making lunch apparently!!! Plus one of the couples includes the friend who is running the Kingston 16 with me the day after so would feel a bit bad abandoning her....

But who else is running Silverstone? Jenny I think you are. Any others?
  • Shelling out, sorry - I think it's good sense!
  • LOL yeah shelling out :-]
    Yes im still hoping to. Its just so so frustrating not being able to run. I tried a light jog last night to and from the train station on the way from work. It was twinging so I walked again. The rest is obviously working but there must be something that can be done
  • Jenny we've all got loads of time till the big day...your resting strategy is spot on. Why not go swimming - easier on the joints etc and will keep your fitness levels up...?

I am going to do an easy 6M on the treddy later this afternoon (one of the partners at work has loads of guest passes to a nice club just over the road! ) and then it's back home for a very early night before the early shout tomorrow morning which I am just dreading...
  • Silly question but do you warm up much - I never do!
  • Be careful swimming if it might be a tendon injury or strain as you may do more harm than good by putting the tendon under under more stress from water resistance.
  • Oops ,sorry, will bow to the fitness professionals here... ;-)

Warming up - not at all really, but I do stretch and do some hip flexing thingys down the garden path before I set out. The first 15 mins of a run seem to be my warmup - I always feel really cr!p, out of breath, not energised etc but if I can just put a mile or so under my belt and get the blood into my legs then it's like a car changing from first to second gear and by mile 3 I am feeling much more relaxed.
  • All bow to the fitness pro!

(not! it's just injured my patela last year and i was told NOT to swim or cycle due to the stress on the knee)

Alex - I'm same when running, i warm up at the beginning through running then i tend to stretch after the run - which believe they call progessive stretching (maybe I am a pro!)
  • or as I like to put it - you asked me to run 26.2 miles. I'm not running an extra mile before the gun goes! I'll need all the juice in the tank for later!!!

you're a gym teacher aren't you??! that makes you a pro!!!
  • Jenny we've all got loads of time till the big day...your resting strategy is spot on. Why not go swimming - easier on the joints etc and will keep your fitness levels up...?

I am going to do an easy 6M on the treddy later this afternoon (one of the partners at work has loads of guest passes to a nice club just over the road! ) and then it's back home for a very early night before the early shout tomorrow morning which I am just dreading...
  • mmmm never thought of it like that - I'm a pro!
  • Hello,
    Just been reading through the whole thread here. I am running the FLM for CWL this year. This is my 1st marathon and the training has been a little patchy due to illness.
    Did a 2 hr run on Sunday and covered about 11.5 miles and am running the Berkhamsted half marathon this weekend. Hopefully I'm not over doing it and the long runs should increase over the next few weeks in prep for 17/04.
    Am beginning to get a little nervous and think I may have biten off more than I can chew. I suppose I can always walk a bit though!
  • Natalie - have a look at the "6 week plan" in RW this month - why not follow the beginners' one? And best of luck with the half marathon this weekend. I'm going at about the same pace as you - and expect I'll be walking more than a bit come the big day!
  • Nat
    Sorry to disappoint
    Isn't the idea that the 26.2 is in fact a run? There are plenty of runners that wanted that place. Goad, goad, as they say on the training threads. There is an answer. Work harder at the training so that you can run the 26.2 and be proud.

Now. Having stuck the knife in, it's time to build you back up. 2 hours running at 10:30 m/m is not to be sneezed at. Keep it up, and focus on that run.

You need to be hitting the streets for 3 or 4 nights a week. It's hardly worth getting changed for less than 4 miles, so make that a focal point. It might rain on FLM day, so we have to get used to training in it. The real key session every week is the long run. There's no margin for error now, so you'll have to add 2 miles to your long run every weekend until 2 weeks prior. That means a 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 then a 2 week taper. It's tough schedule that you've left yourself, but it is possible. 26.2 is a long way, and it hurts all finishers. The training makes the idea possible.

This posting is not intended to make you give up. It is not intended to denigrate Charity runners. It is intended to provide you with a bit of a wake up call in terms of motivation, because running a marathon IS NOT EASY. You don't want to disappoint your sponsors do you?

PS
    In case this winds up one or two people, be careful about throwing stones in glass houses. I'll take criticism, but only where it's due.
  • mmmm, Nat rattled Blisters cage! But I can see where he is coming from.

3 or 4 weeks nights a week blisters, at the moment I'm just about fitting in 6 nights a week as well as working 10 to 12 hours a day in my school.

We all try to fit the sessions in, like Alex running at 0545am tomorrow! Good luck gal! hope the weathers kind for you

I'll be thinking of you when I'm wrapped up in cosy in bed dreaming about the finish line on the Mall