Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• Hi Blisters thanks for the fund raising tips its all very welcome, I intend on focusing a little more the coming weeks to raise more. Well done Alexandra Truesdale raising nearly four grand already that is amazing. I have recruited my friend in London to help me, she got in through her running club ballot so she's helping me fund raise ( I Live in Coventry)
    What time's are you aiming for?
    Nat keep going its hard work and everyone has ups and downs but raising the money and finshing will be fab, the crowd will also keep you running, ok maybe jogging either way we are the lucky ones with a place!!!
  • jogging = running
    there is no technical distinction

I do get wildly rattled when Brendan Foster talks about "fun runners" who finish outside 3 hours. If you need 4, 5, or 6 hours to run the course it's a long time on your feet, and that's not going to be fun.

However the organisation is brilliant, the crowds are absolutely fantastic, and the euphoria at finishing is the closest to childbirth a bloke can get. Why do you think I came back?
  • I'm a bit late to this thread but i'm also running for CWL this year. Am on blue start this year and am aiming for about 2:58. Have just christened the vest this evening on a 9 mile run in the gym, they're quite comfy really.I didn't get any funny looks either.
  • Blisters - Does that mean that you think that runners who are going to finish around 4, 5, 6 or 7 hours should not be running in the FLM?
  • I didnt take it to mean that at all. Just that its insulting to have brendan foster sit on his backside and describe people as 'fun' runners.
    I personally dont think people should be allowed to walk the marathon ( like the GMTV birds did last year) they should enter the moonwalk if they want to do that.
    Run/walkers and joggers, fine. Youve put in the hours and are willing to slog it out then youve got your place to do that.
  • Just found this thread.
    Got a call last week from CWL- offered me a place which I jumped at. Luckily i had carried on training even though i was really disappointment at the prospect of missing out.
    Got all the pack now, but I have a question for the experienced CWL runners. Do I have to wear the vest? I have always done long races in a technical T-shirt and have NEVER worn a running vest. I cannot wear it over the top as I'd overheat. Any ideas please?
  • I think since theyve given you a place you should wear the vest over your tech t-shirt or instead of. Its good publicity for the charity. I wouldnt dream of not wearing mine when theyve been kind enough to let me run.
    If you dont want to wear it then personally i wouldnt take the place, sorry
  • Alex & Lucinda - thank you for your encouraging words. I will check out the RW 6 week plan.

Blisters - Did find your comments a little harsh. I have never trained for anything like this before and am doing all of my training alone! I am running 3/4 times a week with a long run at the weekend.
    It would be fantastic to run the full 26.2 miles but if I need to run/walk then so be it - everyone has to start somewhere and I will be thrilled at crossing the line in one piece regardless of the time it takes me. I am raising money for a great charity and I have no pb's to beat!
    For 17th April 2005 it's the taking part that counts for some - it's a lot more than the majority of Britain will do in their lifetimes!
  • Well said Blisters, running/walking a marathon is not easy, its hard work, its made easier if you do the training, get the long runs in, its only for what 6 weeks now, and yes if you have to walk thats ok.
  • I think i got the wrong end of the stick with regard where blisters was coming from with reference to 'fun' runners. - sorry mate.

However they were harsh words for Nat(since it is her first FLM, as it is mine) and maybe if more people like her tried to take part in regular exercise and eventually doing events like the FLM then maybe we wouldn't have such a problem like we do in this country with obesity?
  • oooh...a little controversy!! (rubs hands together and settles in with post-training- run popcorn!)

I'm with Nat and Ed here though, blisters. I'm sure you as a seasoned campaigner were trying to be constructive but as I understand it Natalie's training has been off because of illness not lack of willing and like all of us first timers she is feeling (sensibly!) daunted. That said, I am totally with you in not being able to abide Brendan Foster. He was all snidey about La Radcliffe between the marathon and the 10K races too. Boo hiss!

...Ed, hope your dreams were sweet...the windchill made it minus 12C this morning according to Steve my trainer,and it wasn't light until mile 5, but no snow sleet or rain thankfully..despite huge pasta feast last night I didn't take much on board before starting this morning and although I made it round ok and made mile 10 a quick one, I nearly fainted in the shower! Guess I'm just not a morning person..
  • Nozzer - re the vest. Last year I attached mine to the front of my T shirt that my sponsor had asked me to wear. Best of both worlds then.
  • Alex I woke to 6 inches on the ground (well that's what i told my girlfriend!) of snow!!!!!

And it was so cold - well done though pal I'm very impressed!

I've got 75 minute run tonight so that i'll be about 10 miles and I'm looking forward to it for once.

It will be a welcome distraction from work which is dead busy and not much fun at the mo!
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Natalie - I'm with you!

I can appreciate what Blister's is saying but it is the taking part that counts.

If the only people allowed to take part in the London Marathon were those who could definitely complete it in less than 3-4 hours - it would be a much smaller affair than it is.

I was hoping to do it in about 4 hours but have had my training hampered by illness. I could have just dropped out but I am determined to complete it and set a time for me to beat next year.

I really hope I am capable of at least jogging the whole distance but if I have to walk I will - and I won't consider it any less of an achievement when I finally cross the finish line.

• Ed what time are you going for then? (said she trying her best to ignore double entendres and putting it down to "schoolboy humour"...)

Are you going to run outside tonight? I just can't seem to run properly if it is icy or snowy. My toes automatically try to scrunge up in my shoes to try to provide some extra grip and it is such hard work, plus i'm scared that i'll go flying, or skid and hurt myself. If FLM is icy we're all stuffed.

Blackcat - well said!
  • Alex - you show me yours and i'll show you mine! you time you going for?

I only ever go running outside ! I can count on one hand the number of times I have ran on a treadmill (apart from turning the speed up on them dead fast then sitting on them so they throw you off the back on to a crash mat! great fun!

While we're on treadmills, well on the subject, did anyone see leo sayer (pop star in the 80's) on a game show about 4 years ago with vic reeves and bob mortimer stand (he didnt mean to) on one and then go flying under a crash mat! it was one of the funnest things i have ever seen on T.V.!!!! honest
  • Tea time!!!!

Seriously...er... about 5.30 would be amazing; 5.45 more realistic as I can't sustain sub-12 minute miles for more than about 12 miles without blowing up rather messily. The time to beat is Lorraine Kelly's 5.57, or I will slit my wrists!
    In a way it is in my interests to go slow because my husband has to go to Harpenden (near Luton airport)that morning for a christening (he's been asked to be godfather) so can't escape the reception until about 1 and so he is banking on me finishing around 3.00pm so he has half a hope of seeing me cross the line...
  • I do quite a lot of running on treadmills, i find that they're harder to train on due to the lack of airflow over you. I'm more of a sweaty wreck after nine miles on a treadmill as opposed to nine miles on the road.Perhaps the gym i attend should turn the air-con on a little more often.Thy're an ideal tool for pacing as well, unless of course you have invested in a Garmin forerunner.
  • Alex - suddenly this forum is like an athletics meeting when you're at school and everyones at the start asking your p.b.

Well i'm hoping to go around in 4 hours, but the other week i went out and did 20 miles in 2hours 40mins and then tonight i did 10miles in 1hour 15mins (both really hilly! I live in northumberland!)so i'm not sure really, just want enjoy the day.

I always have wanted to do the FLM since I was a kid, so here's my big chance.

Not I got to get back to some school P.E. reports!!!!!!
  • I am also looking at doing the 6 week programe in the RW April edition. Anything is better than nothing.
    Not sure about eating on the day, any advice ??.
    Up to 8 miles now and increasing by 2 miles per week hopefully this should give me a bit of a chance of getting round in a reasonable time. Training at the moment at 10 - 12 min miles. Should improve over the next 6 weeks and hopefully i hope to loose 1 stone in weight.
    I train on my own as i work long hours (15 hr days or nights) Weekends off.
    Keep up the chats it helps us all in some way. Picked up some usefull tips this week.

Happy Running.
  • Rick D, thats a very impressive time your aiming for you must train very hard, any tips?? I was lazy tonight and went the gym did 45 mins on the treddy but it is so sweaty its unreal, when your outside you don't notice it till your finished. Glad to see the nights are getting a little lighter maybe we can get some daylight running in! I don't know what start I am on do we find out at the exhibition does any one know? Was guessing we're on the red start?
    Sammy Snail good luck with loosing a stone thats my aim to.
    I'm running the gloucester 20 this weekend is any body else?
  • IM going to be sat with my leg up and feeling crappy. I walked to pick the kids up from school and so wanted to just run and run.
    Im sick of it and Ive only rested for 2 weeks.Its not fair :-(
  • Jenny is that because of your knee? Its good you have been sesnible and rested, it means that you will be ok for the marathon instead of making anything worse, you'll be well away once you get going again, but ease back into it!!!!
  • chin up jenny could be much worse I know its hard but it could be!
  • Well, that woke the thread up I'd say!

When someone said that Nat had been ill/injured I realised that I had thrown a stone through my own greenhouse window. Oops.

Train hard, race easy. I just have to remember that, then kick my own @ss out of the door. I've been a real slacker over the past couple of days, and if I don't nail another 20 tomorrow my own plan will sail west.

My other target for tomorrow will be to catch up on the fundraising.
  • Any tips on how to write a letter to local companies asking for prizes to raffle or donations ??
  • fair play to you blisters

good luck on the 20 miler tomorrow, i've only got an easy 4 to do today, thank god!
  • or is it now today for the 20?
  • Yup, gracefully done, blisters. Good luck for the 20.

Jenny....hon..hang on in there . Less is more for you now. Did you go to the physio? I've lost track...

Sammy - re. eating on the day - my lovely trainer (let's big it up for Steve Tunstall www.stpersonaltraining.co.uk ) has just presented me with a pre competition diet plan and I'm sure he won't mind if i share with you...

Pre competition breakfast 2-4 hrs before race:
    cereal or porridge with low fat milk and fresh fruit; or
    toast and honey plus yoghurt; or
    bagels/muffins with honey or peanut butter;
    or wholemeal banana sandwich

Pre race snack - 1 hr before race:
    fruit (fresh or dried or tinned); or
    sports nutrition bar; or
    glucose drink (lucozade sport) ; or
    dried apricots; or
    fruit yog; or
    rice pudding; or
    scotch pancakes

15 minutes before the gun: loads of water and a sports drink!

• Alex - a personal trainer, very posh!

I'm impressed!