Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• Hey Sammy, keep your chin up! That's a good 10 mile time...

I think the time of day and the amount of sleep you have immediately before has a real impact. I got to 10M about 5 mins faster this morning than I did on Thursday morning early because I had a proper brekkie (cheerios and a peanut butter bagel!) and a decent lie-in. So maybe try to give yourself an extra hour's kip next week if you can?

Well, It's 2 hours on and although getting up and downstairs is a challenge I'm feeling pretty good, if tired. It all sort of came together today which I'm sure it will for you too!!

As for blisters, it probably was the shoes. Or the socks? I've been using the double-layered "wrightsocks" and (touch wood) haven't had a blister yet...
  • JHI alex. My leg isnt too bad. I went out and ran. the first mile or so was rubbish. I just couldnt get going and my legs felt like lead.
    My new trainers have definitely helped though. I ran alot faster than I could before. I didnt go too far becuase it was the first time I;d run in a fortnight but will go to the physio tomorrow and hopefully will be able to do the silverstone 1/2 next week slow and steady!
  • Alexandra, well done on your 17.5 miler, it's always a good feeling to get a long run under your belt. It goes to show that the training is paying off. I'm going through a bit of a lull at the moment.I haven't ran since thursday,I'll endeavour to blast the cobwebs out tomorrow.I hate working weekends.C'est la vie!
  • Thanks Alex. It's nice to have someone to chat and help when in need. Rest day tomorrow then back to running in the afternoon until Sun. I watch my lad play football on Sundays thats why i go out i the time that i do, i run to wherever he his playing football then have a shower get changed watch him play, then get a lift home.
  • Well done to all on the long runs this weekend - keep up the good work!

I was very pleased with myself today as I successfully completed the Berkhamsted half-marathon in 2 hrs 16 mins. There were some pretty evil hills in the course (ups and downs) and my knees were a little sore for the last mile - it was downhill all the way! The scenery was great though - it makes a change for me to get out into the country lanes for a run!
    I have a day to rest tomorrow and then back out on Tuesday. I am going to follow the RW Intermediate 6 week plan from now on....
  • hi everyone hope you all had a good weekend?

I had a quiet one really nothing to exciting. Got out for a easy 12 miler this afternoon (1hour and 30mins) it was cold, so i was glad i popped to the metro centre with future Mrs.H in gateshead and brought some new nike drifit/fleecy running gloves to keep my little hands warm! very nice.

Alex - we're getting married next year (need to save up etc.) in a castle near hexham very beautiful. 17.5 miles
    well done you must be well made up or you put to much power in your energy drink on your thread you were like one of my kids with ADHD, i was laughing after 'BRING IT ON!' but I was also hungry today during my run too.

jenny - glad you got out for a run just take it nice and steady, try not to rush into it to quickly.

Sammy - did your lad win today? hope so! my boys had a good win yesterday - Magic 'hat trick' Henry (loads of points for my fantasy football team. Do you like the gels? I'm not to keen on them just wondered what everyone thought? Where's the blister?

Rick - I hate working weekends too, but at least its quite nice when you get time off during the week and everyone else is at work, you can be quite smug then?!
  • Edward- unfortunately when i'm off work everybody else is working. As i'm a social runner, i'm cr*p at training on my own. I tend to run flat out until exhaustion kicks in, which ultimately means a lot of my runs are cut short.
  • rick - mmmm i can see where you're coming from. I run on my own and i seem to have almost the same problem. if my programme says 30 jog i start at a jogging pace (9min mile) then seem to get carried away and often end up at a pace which i find difficult to keep up. for example on my run today i started at 8.30mins pace half way through i went down to 7.15mins and at one stage i even went below 6mins miling! which i know i cant for normally keep up for longer then 3 steps! I dont burn out or anything it seems to make my runs not as enjoyable as maybe they should be. i just dont know what the answer is, will power maybe?
  • Edward-I think self control is needed.If you manage to find any, please let me know the stockist. Will power will be required when your body is telling you to stop/slow down on marathon day and the crowd don't let you.You'll be surprised at how much "encouragement" you will recieve on race day. After 20+ miles it eventualy starts to grate.
  • Natalie - 2hrs 16 is fantastic, especially with hills! Well done you!! Enjoy your rest day..

Jenny - at least you got out and of course your legs would feel a bit leaden after a layoff, so don't worry. I'm doing Silverstone next weekend (who else is?) and I think after today's effort I might try to tag onto the back of the 11 minute mile pace group and see how I go. If that counts as slow and steady in your book then why not come and join me??

As for the Speedy Gonzales squad "complaining" about their "jogging pace" being 9 minute miles (in my DREAMS could I run that fast) ... tsk. Must be hell!!!! ;-) (although seriously Ed if you are developing a "kick" why not hold back and then use it for the last couple of miles or so?)

Gels. Hmm. Mine made me feel sick today. Sort of like you have a catch in your throat, that is coated with the gel ,so that you almost feel you might want to retch... Does that sound familiar to anyone? Although I need the burst of energy it gives my legs. Any alternative suggestions for me to try at Silverstone?

Ed - I was happy at doing my longest ever run but not as hyper as I may have sounded - too knackered! And on that note...going to catch some zzzzs. Night all!

• A lot of folks just can't get on with designer energy gels, and go for the jelly beans. Provided that they aren't some weird sugar free version then they are probably more your thing. You will need to take a decent handful to get a reasonable "Hit". However, they are far more portable, easy to swallow whole, and don't leak. One day I'll try them!

I couldn't beleive it when I saw the top elites eating flapjack style bars at mile 23 when they are knocking out 5 minute miles. I can't eat them when I'm sat down!

Anyway, aren't we awaiting a couple of HM reports?
  • Hi folks,did 18 miles in just over 3 hours yesterday feeling good.Is anyone from Cambridge area going to the training day ??
  • flapjacks = sawdust bound together with PVA adhesive! yuk. OK blisters, will add jelly beans to the shopping list...
  • jelly beans are good, but jelly babies are better!!! mmmmmm i like!

Reports on the way for all of you remember to be good now!
  • isthat because you get the satisfaction off biting their heads off???

urgh. just had an hour of core stability and nasty stretches. you try boxing on one leg with your eyes shut...grasshopper!!!
  • sounds like something out of karate kid!
  • wax on, wax off...

it was good fun though. made up for the agonising first 20 minutes of heavy stretching, aka having my limbs tied in a knot and then being sat on (or that's how it felt, anyway)

one of the (male) partners has just told me, rather diffidently, that I am looking "very well on my training" . wheee! hopefully this is now the "eat like a horse and the weight still drops off you" phase...
  • Woke up this morning feeling ok. Thought that i might be aching all over so thats another positive for me.

I Will be out again tomorrow on an easy 4 mile jog.I use the Heart rate monitor,Easy being below 70% MHR which i run about 12min mile at the moment.

I am hoping to run the Marathon at a 70 - 75% MHR which should be 12 - 11 min miles.
    Ist time runner @ 42yrs so i dont know what to expect apart from a lot of aches and pains.
  • Hi all, glad the long runs went well. Alexandra I tried a gel for the first time the SIS one it went down very well wasn't sticky although had to stop to take it, must take practice to do running although wasn't racing don't want to stop like that on the marathon. i was trying not to spill my drink on my gloves in a very girlie fashion!!! did the Gloucester 20 very nice course. I ran with a friend and took it at her pace so felt strong when we finished so managed a major sprint finish think people thought we were mad, hope to finish in the same style in london although aslow crawl might have to do!!!
  • Hi Lucinda - will give the SiS one a go then. 20M is going great guns, especially with a sprint fnish.

Sammy - there's no dishonour in a 11-12 min mile pace - that's what I'm going to do. I think I might try running at the back of the 11 min mile pace group for the half marathon, see how I go.
  • I agree 11-12 min pace is great its what ever you feel ok with. Alex do the 11 min miler see how it feels its a chance to see how things are coming along. My friend did it last year she doubled her time at silverstone and added 15 mins and got her marathon time spot on. it works for some people. Not sure how you'll be feeling but try the sprint finish it gets you a good clap and a laugh!!
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Hi all

Glad to hear everyone had a good weekend.

I did my first long run since my injury yesterday. I only did about 11 miles - so not quite as far as I would like to be doing at this stage, but I was pretty pleased with myself none the less.

My legs were a dead weight at the end of it but decided to take a cold bath (complete with ice cubes!) when I got home and although it chilled me to the bone I felt a lot better for it, and my legs aren't as stiff today as I expected them to be.

I did find it very hard to get going at first though on yesterday's run.

I usually run in the evening but I went out at about 11am - my legs just didn't want to move.

I've decided I've got to switch to morning training other wise I could find it very difficult to get going on marathon day.

How does everyone else warm up for a morning run?
  • Hi All - thought that it was about about time to get involved in this thread. FLM will be my 1st Marathon and 1st time running for CWL.

Re: energy gels, I'm a big fan of SiS 'Go Gel' - having tried quite a few others this is the only one I find vaguely palatable - Blackcurrant flavour is my personal recommendation.

Big plus with this stuff is that you don't have the 'drink with 250ml of water' nonsense that you get with other gels. The packs are a bit bigger (60ml), but so much more convenient than the more concentrated ones
  • Hi Black Cat, i was in the same boat switching to morning running and i too found it hard but 11 mile is still my longest run so i didnt expect much difference. I got up 2hrs prior to my run then had porrige and banana for breakfast.
    I did feel hungry on the run though and then i tried my Gel. I still prefer the afternoon / Night runs
  • I tried running in the morning and found that I couldn't do it for the shorter speed work but the long runs I have to satrt early or the day would be over before I got home!!!
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    SS - I prefer evening running too - the body is already warmed up from the days events.

I need to give the gels a go. Yesterday I resorted to breaking up a bar of dairy milk and having a cube every 30-45mins along with some lucozade. It definitely helped me get me going but I don't think it was ideal.

I've a lucozade gel to try but haven't a clue about any others.

Does anyone know a good website where I can bulk buy lucozade and gels?
  • You can try www.wiggle.co.uk or as I prefer High Five Gels I order them from the High Five website.
    The chocolate ones are lovely!!
    And the bars are good if you are hungry
    Can't face lucozade ever again after last year!!
  • ooh! ooh! Sir ! Sir!!

I know this one... www.thelssa.com/shop/ has the cheapest bulk deals I think.
  • smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Thank you will have a look at them tonight - just heading home from work now.
  • Morning runs have worked best for me - it just gets them done and dusted and you can get on with the day - in my experience it becomes easier to make excuses for not running as the day wears on !

I try to gorge on carbs the night before and go straight from duvet to running kit. If a long run, I'll take a gel for 'breakfast' en route. Normally have most of my runs done by 8am (failing that it's the treadmill in the gym at lunchtime). No need to eat brekkie and them wait 2 hrs to get out there.