NT Snowdonia Marathon 2005

Comments

• Ok, hello to all on this forum.

I think perhaps I am in need of therapy, my entry form for the Snowdonia Marathon has just gone in the post - my hands are shaking!!

This will be my first marathon on the back of a few halves - closest to the SM will be the Boston Half Marathon, US on 9th October! Have been running since March 2004 and am now a Vet over 35 for most races!

Any advice? Name of a therapist, etc?
  • Hi Lulubelle and all, crept in here after a very long lapse to see if my idea of doing this as a first marathon ever is a totally ludicrous idea.... so, L, if you find a therapist, let me know!

I'm doing Bristol half (third time) and have 4 halfs under my belt, specially chosen for flatness! Bristol is 4 weeks before, my best time was 2 hours 14 last year,I'm 48 and just starting back to running after a break since early december.

Any advice also welcome! I grew up 20 miles from Snowdon, and my Dad is still there, so accomodation no prob.. I'm going up next weekend, and intend to drive round the course and make my final decision then.

Ohmygod I've a horrible feeling I might end up doing this!!!!

• Hi happyslug, I'm working on the therapist - will let you know!!

Am doing a few halves this year, my first ever having been the Helsby 4 Villages in January 05. Will be down south in August for the Seahorse 10K in Bampton - should be a grand day out - village open day as well. Did the Easy Runner Tough Ten Challenge in Weston-super-Mare last month which was fabulous - Good multiterrain race for you happyslug - probably not far from you if you're doing the Bristol half. I have parents down that way. Liverpool Half next week and Womens 10K Liverpool in May as well as a half marathon indoor row in April - full year I think??!

I'd close your eyes on the way round this week!!! Even if we walk/run it will be back within 5 hours - go on do it!!
  • Hi hi then,i like the look of this one.

No surely not j.
  • HAPPYSLUG!!!!!!!!!!!
    where have you been, i missed you

er, not fit enuff for this
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Just popping on to see what's going on, though I'd never consider taking part in this, of course. Well, then again......
  • Well, I'm going to do this - on the basis that even if I walk half of it - could still be done in 5 hours or so!!?? :)
  • Susiebee-You know what they will say."Go on you know you want to"
  • Hipps!!!!!!!!!! hiya!!
    bit embarrassed to come grovelling back here after so long, shoulda known to count on you for friendly welcome!!XXX

Off to Line Dancing now, then Wales tomorrow,watch this space for on line fainting fit!!

Cymru am byth.... or whatever!!
  • having done FLM three times, I fancied a challenge. I have just put my entry in for Snowdon.... best get down the gym tonight and start training!
  • I got my number this morning and as i'm a tight wad there is no turning back now.... It was 154 so I can see that places are going fast;)
  • I'm on a 'setting up numbers list' night on the threads.

So, who do we have?
    If I've typed your name and you were undecided!.. well! now decision made!

- Blisters
    - Chuckles1
    154 - Dadovlacknella
    - Happyslug
    - Ian McKnight
    - LLL
    - Lulubelle
    - Pam Storey
    - Rosas Mum
    134 - Woj
  • Ok, got my number at the weekend - what have I done....????? Did Liverpool 1/2 yesterday, fabulous!

- Blisters
    - Chuckles1
    154 - Dadovlacknella
    - Happyslug
    - Ian McKnight
    - LLL
    1139 - Lulubelle
    - Pam Storey
    - Rosas Mum
    134 - Woj
  • Well, after weeks of ummm-ing and ahh-ing I've made my decision - and Snowdonia it is! I'm all excited now!

- Blisters
    - Chuckles1
    154 - Dadovlacknella
    - Happyslug
    - Ian McKnight
    - LLL
    1139 - Lulubelle
    - mountaingirl
    - Pam Storey
    - Rosas Mum
    134 - Woj
  • Pam - are you a Serpie? Or are you another Pam Storey?
  • Went for a cross country jaunt (7 miles) last night. Ouchie!

note to self: do more training.
  • This is only my second marathon, but am looking forward to it with mixture of emotions. At the moment am feeling fed up as my achilles tendonitis has flared up and am having to ease off on the running. Before that it was problems with my hip. It all seems to have happened since I got my number - is my body trying to tell me something!!! Mind you I'm committed (or is that should be committed) as I have booked the hotel room and told every one i'm doing it. No going back now.

- Blisters
    - Chuckles1
    154 - Dadovlacknella
    - Happyslug
    30 - Ian McKnight
    - LLL
    1139 - Lulubelle
    - mountaingirl
    - Pam Storey
    - Rosas Mum
    134 - Woj
  • It's a breeze!! did it yesterday... ummm... in the car of course...

Apart from the 6 miles from Waunfawr back to LLanberis, we drove round the course, an awful lot of it is flat to undulating, so if you discount the famous 3.5 miles from the start to Pen-y-Pass; the invisible "steep climb" from Waunfawr and the deceptively gentle (from the car!!) looking 3 miles from Beddgelert, we should walk it --- as it were--- !! so, just the weather to worry about then.... :o)

I can already run uphill on the treadmill for 2 minutes, so just a matter of gradually increasing that while gradually increasing milage from 2 to 26 and a bit..
  • I wasn't planning to enter just yet, but do you think entries will close early??
  • Nice relaxed attitude happyslug!!!!!!!
    That sounded like about 12miles of hills!!!!!!!!
    May need to book accommodation soon!!!!!
  • I like to think 9, because the website says Steep climb to Bwlch-y-groes followed by downhill to Llanberis, both to fit in that mysterious 6 miles!!! - half and half??!!

Auntie Joanie lives 1/2 hour drive away so my accommodation sorted...
  • Thanks for the invite Happyslug, we'll all stay there. Do she do early breakfasts?
  • joke ye not, she may well be interested in sub-letting her large shed....

I think ebay??!!!
  • Booked some accommodation.
    Will travel up on the Friday and make a long weekend of it, returning on Monday.
  • Got my number this morning :-) Ooohh, I'm all excited now!

- Blisters
    - Chuckles1
    154 - Dadovlacknella
    - Happyslug
    30 - Ian McKnight
    - LLL
    1139 - Lulubelle
    1144 - mountaingirl
    - Pam Storey
    - Rosas Mum
    134 - Woj

Anyone doing Coniston 14 on Saturday?
  • Letter of confirmation just came through the post. No turning back now! (drat!)
    I am No.183.

30 - Ian McKnight
    134 - Woj
    154 - Dadovlacknella
    183 - Chuckles1
    1139 - Lulubelle
    1144 - mountaingirl
    - Blisters
    - LLL
    - Happyslug
    - Pam Storey
    - Rosas Mum
  • Haven't entered yet, was hoping to wait
    better to do now???
  • Go on Happyslug, you know you want too!! You from Somerset? I grew up near Taunton.
  • Lulubelle, I live in Wellington, where near Taunton do you hail from?? and where are you now??
    I think I need to enter to make the commitment to training! I actually ran up a hill or two on Friday, and find I still can, so what the heck!!