Options

Good for age 2004

Hi, didn't get in - gutted - so what's the plan?

I'm going to go for the good for age in 2004. Assuming the rules don't change this means running a 3:15 - this is going to be tricky - I'd guess with normal training I could get down to a 3:30 so the extra 15 minutes is going to hurt.

Is there anyone in the West London area who feels like joining me on this challenge. It would be easier if there were a group of people having a shot at this.

And does anyone know the UK's fastest marathons. Every second is going to count. Nottingham's out for a start.

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• Options
    2 supprisingly flat marathons are the Lochaber marathon in Fort William on the 27th of April and the Moray marathon in Elgin on the first sunday in September. For Lochaber you can follow rhe RW programe with slight adjustment as it is 2 weeks later.

Life does not end with London rejection, spread your wings there are other marathons out there.

Ps I'm in
  • Options
    Try Blackpool
    very flat and easy
    I did the half there last summer and flew round with the wind behind me
  • Options
    NickP, I'm in the same boat as you re: going for 2004 good for age, I haven't decided which one yet, but I do like the sound of Blackpool... fortunately I only need to get 3:45, but that is still a huge challenge! Goodluck!
  • Options
    Hi all. I was rejected also and am traumatised! I quite liked the idea of Nicks plan for good for age, but am not sure of the time criteria for my age (47) Does anyone out there know? cheers. British Dog. (dazed and confused!!)
  • Options
    I think its 3.15 from age 18 to sixty!
  • Options
    Thanks Daron. 3.15! Kinell! I dont think I can manage that fast! I will have to think of another plan to run London. Ive ben in touch with a few charities today, but its all big business nowdays, and most of them hold you to a target. I wouldnt mind if it was a moderae amount, but the sums they are committing runners to these days, in my mind is outrageous. Preparing for a run like that in todays stressful environment is hard enough, but to have the responsibility of 2 or 3 grand around your neck for a charity is too much. I remember when any charity would have been glad of a couple of hundred quid towards their cause. They would laugh at that amount now! Back to the drawing board for the British Dog Im afraid! Ive just completed New York dressed head to foot in a furry labrador suit for Guide Dogs. I cant tell you how hard it was to get air into the face part to breathe. I managed 6hours 16. But even stripped down to racing gear, I dont think I could manage 3.15 Thanks for the info anyway Daron, I think I shall just have to look elsewhere. Stay fit mate. British Dog
  • Options
    hi i was rejected also but i applied to five different charities and i`m in but the bad news is i`ve got to raise £1200 which is going to be hard!!!
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    You should do the Kingston marathon. Dead flat, small field, reasonably frequent water/Gatorade. Only drawback is having to overtake slower 16-mile runners on the same course. Also, it was very close to the cut-off for FLM applications this year, so if you don't make it, you won't get another chance.

• Options
    Well done Keith. What charity was it for? Pete, thanks also for reply. What did you mean by the cut off in the London, and not having another chance? cheers. British Dog
  • Options
    Cheers for the advice - I think I'm going to make the first attempt at the Fort William - sounds hilly but turns out it's along the edge of a loch so it should be dead flat - also, as Dynamo pointed out - I can basically train as if for London, which is a bonus.

Hm, now for the painful bit.
  • Options
    The venice Marathon is rumoured to be downhill all the way, Bad news is if you you miss the time limit you have to swim the Grand Canal. Its in the October Half term so just inside FLM application deadline I think?

Peter

Plus serious pasta loading potential