Don't be obsessed with London

It must be very frustrating for people who've never run London and who've had several rejections. I do feel sorry for you, and I wish that there was a fairer system. I'll come clean: I got into FLM 2002 through the ballot at my first attempt, and that makes me very lucky.

But for people who have already taken part in it, I don't really see what the obsession is all about. I don't suppose I would turn down the chance to run it again if the chance came, but taking part in FLM just gave me an appetite to explore other events. Running FLM year after year seems to me a bit like people who go on holiday to the same place year after year. No, it's not illegal or immoral, but just a teensy bit unadventurous.

What about all the other great marathons in the world? I was lucky enough to run Chicago in October, and it was a truly amazing experience. I won't run a marathon in 2003, but I'm already wondering about 2004. Berlin? Rome? New York? Prague? The Great Wall? The Connemarathon? (Not to mention the other high-class UK events.) So many great marathons, so little time!

I wouldn't want to criticise anyone for repeatedly wanting to run FLM: it's a personal choice of course. But if you apply and you don't get in, you shouldn't feel crushed by this. Run another great marathon instead. It's a wonderful excuse for a holiday to a place that you might not otherwise have thought of going.

Andy

Comments

• I suspect there are a number of reasons why people want to repeat doing it:

1) It's the highest profile marathon in this country

2) They enjoyed it - they probably will elsewhere, but they have a pretty definite idea that London wil be good

3) Cost - trips to Chicago are great, but not everyone will be able to afford them

I do personally though hope to find the time (and money) to do some other ones as well :-)

• And it's my local marathon....
  • Iain, I appreciate that not everyone can afford to travel to other continents, but I suspect that a long weekend in Paris, for instance, or Berlin, wouldn't be that much more expensive than a long weekend in London.

Regarding Chicago, it was our holiday for this year, and we turned it into a 2 week trip. I'm not sure where we would have gone if it was a non-Marathon holiday, but in our case, I don't think it would have been significantly cheaper.

But I do take your points, and I suppose I'm slightly playing devil's advocate. I'm not saying that people shouldn't want to run London, but it puzzles me when I see people getting so stressed out about not getting in. Statistically there is only a 1 in 5 or 6 chance of getting in through the ballot I believe, so unless you're an inveterate charity runner or a good-for-age, it shouldn't be a big surprise. Once every 5 years seems about right to me!
  • I agree RC - I was mainly thinking of the American ones being expensive.

When you get excited about something, I think you lose perspective - as you say, odds are you will get rejected!
  • In terms of entry-cost, I have to say that London is much better value for money. I think it cost me £25 this year? Chicago was about £60 which I thought was pretty scandalous really, especially as the information booklet arrived after the marathon!

Andy
  • I tend to agree with both points here, but at the end of the day we are Marathon Runners who would just like to run in OUR marathon, the one run in our Capital.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I only ran London this year because I had a GFA place and the same for next year. I think if I didn't I wouldn't even enter. I will also do a different one next year if all goes well!

I can see why runners are attracted to London though and why they go back year after year. For me personally the first time I did it was the best experience. But there are so many others I would like to do. As RC says "so little time!"
  • I agree it's not something to become obsessed about, but it is my local marathon too, with many of my club mates running, and it IS a fantastic event, with superb organisation and an inspiring atmosphere! Those seem like good reasons to keep running in it each year, if you are able to.

For the last couple of years I've also done an autumn marathon - in European cities - and I might try Chicago or New York in future. One at home, plus one abroad seems like a nice balance to me.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    It's the only race (apart from the Greenwich 10k) where I can walk to the start line! Completed my 1st marathon earlier this year in New Forest & loved it. Just want to do London for the experience & the lack of organisation involved in travelling, hotels & stuff. If I can, wanna do Dublin as well later in the year.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    RC - you try telling my family that where we go on holiday depends on where I want to run a marathon???!!!????

Done London 5 times so I'm not that fussed about doing it every year, although you are right that it gives one the chance to run somewhere different.

I think the thing with London is the whole profile,TV coverage and awareness by non-runners.If you're training for something that big that is part of the incentive. Although there are some good regional races none of them even come close as regards profile.
  • Awareness of non runners is interesting - I seem to remember someone saying on the forums before that their non running work colleagues didn't actually realise that there *were* other marathons.
  • Maybe they thought they were shorter :-)

Me, I'm thinking about Dublin this year and the neolithic next year.
  • when talking to non running friends about running a marathon, its always how fars that? and i find all of them dont realise that there are other marathons apart from London.
  • Andy, like you i was lucky enough to get into FLM2002 through the ballot at my first attempt. I put in for next year and was rejected; can't say i'm too disappointed with the chance now to enter Paris or Rotterdam,perhaps even Stratford. I ran
    this year's Dublin in 3.05 so at least i'll be okay for a GFA place in 2004.
  • Good attitude, Mango. Like I said, by all means apply for London but it's not the end of the world if you don't get in. There are more great marathons around than there is time to do a quarter of them.

Andy
  • I try to enter London every yeyar, but have only got in once ( 20000). I was rejected this year and decided to enter Paris. I feel more excited about this and am quite glad I was rejected. London is the only marathon (twice, once through charity and once by ballot) I have done and I feel it would be more of a test to do a less popular one e.g New Forest as there would not be the crowds to carry you along. Do you more serious runners find the less popular marathons harder to finish. Also there would not be the constant supply of water and energy drinks to keep you going.
  • I've got in on the ballot. It will be my fifth FLM.

There is NOTHING like it.
  • Of course there' nothing like it. Every marathon is unique.

It's personal opinion, but the "London or nothing" attitude seems sad and silly to me.

Andy
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Pigwilliam

London's not the only race to have water and energy drinks all the way. Loch Ness this year had water and Lucozade every 3 miles. The crowds were very thin on the ground though, because it was the first running of it, and most of the course is on a single track road with very few houses on it.

I didn't get into London for next year, but will be training hard for a better time at Loch Ness in September.
  • I've heard a lot of good things about the Loch Ness marathon. It must be wonderful scenery (though not as wonderful as the Isle of Dogs, natuarally). How hilly is it?

Andy
  • Each marathon is a unique experience and so I think trying new marathons is definately worthwhile. Dublin is one I would definately recommend.
  • I've run my hometown (Vancouver) marathon four times now and although it's very scenic and the "homefield advantage" is hard to dispute, I must say that I'm quite obsessed about being accepted into the FLM, which would be my first marathon outside of Canada/USA. Still waiting to hear!
  • London is a great event, and well worth trying to get into if you've not done it before. Being an overseas entrant I thought you were pretty much guaranteed as long as you went through an approved travel agency? There is info on the web about this. Let me know if you need it, and I'll look it up.

My point, or one of them, was that there's roughly a 1 in 5 or 6 chance of getting in through the ballot (for UK entrants), so there's no point in getting too anxious about it. Essentially, you have a relatively snall chance of getting in unless you run for charity or are good-for-age, or a lucky club member, so entrants might as well plan, or not plan, on that basis. Seems to me the best policy is to enter each year and assume that you won't get in. Once in a while you will, and it will be a nice surprise. Better than the other way round.

Andy
  • Hi Andy. Well, I received a copy of the "Unsuccessful Applicant's Edition" of the FLM magazine yesterday in the mail. Very disappointed. But there's always Paris!

• I received my Unsuccessful Applicant's Edition the other day. I didn't see why it had to print "Unsuccessful Applicant" on every page - just to rub it in that little bit more!

• Indigo - go here:
    www.marathontour.com/london/index.shtml
    and book your trip to the London marathon. The drawback is that you have to book your travel through the agency, but at least you have a guaranteed entry. This assumes you are resident in N America. If you're liveing over here, I can't help!

Andy
  • Thanks for the info, Andy. My husband and I are now re-thinking the whole London thing, given the travel constraints. Will prob run Vancouver again in May and try a "destination" marathon in the fall. Then have another go at the FLM lottery in 2004.

Indy
  • Indigo,

If you are looking for a European destination marathon in the autumn, I suggest either Berlin (end of September) or Amsterdam (towards the end of October). I've run in both of them, and they are great events: well organised and scenic, with good crowd support. You can enter on-line, and there is none of this lottery bother - first come, first served. Dublin is also popular (October I think), but I don't think the course is so attractive and, frankly, there is less to see in sightseeing terms in Dublin, as compared to the other two cities.