Options

BUPA Great North Run

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the info guys, but I've just phoned a B&B in Morpeth and got a twin room for £50. Morpeth is only 15 miles away from Newcastle and it's on the right side (north!), so I need to wait and hear back from my dad whether that will suit him or not.

Might have a look at the agencies too, but they always take a cut, eh?
  • Options
    I have just recieved an email the title saying I had been unsuccessful in ballot but the email went on to say I was successful but then said hadn't paid.

I paid well before the 28 and money has been taken from my account!! Also I had an email confirming payment had been succesful.

I didn't receive an email saying I was successful in ballot, I only found out when I went into the site and tapped in details.

Has this happened to anyone else.
  • Options
    Yes me

I had a mail saying Subject title unsuccessful - the body of the mail said I was in and i needed to pay them. (I hadn't paid so I did). Still a bit confused though as to what happened. When my husband logs on it says his details are not recognised so he can't find out if he is in or not.
    I think maybe their system is not coping too well.
  • Options
    Now they have emailed me again to say sorry the subject title was wrong and I was successful but still saying I haven't paid!!!!

So I have emailled yet again... what is wrong with their system!!!
  • Options
    It's going to feel like we have completed a half marathon with sorting out the success/ unsuccessful emails, payment, travel and accomodation before we even get to the start line!
  • Options
    YHA Langdon Beck Tel: 01833 622228
    7 miles NW of Middleton in Tessdale County Durham...highest YHA in UK

2 and3 bedded rooms...ideal

Hope there are still spaces for someone!

:0)
  • Options
    "When my husband logs on it says his details are not recognised so he can't find out if he is in or not.
    I think maybe their system is not coping too well."

Im starting to think there was a problem with their original online entry form. It would only allow one person from each computer to enter. If you look back through this thread there are many people who have got in, but the other person whos details were entered have somehow been lost. It has happened to me too. when i look to see if my sister has gotten in, it says it cant find her details.

• Options
    Last year I arranged my accomodation at Durham in August - so I wouldn't panic
  • Options
    I have the same thing with the other person's details not being recognised. They have no record of my husband so they are entering him for the ballot that starts tomorrow (places available because people don't pay in time)
  • Options
    I had forgotten about the ballot - I didn't get in nor did my husband - so we may get a second bite at the cherry (we both registered with the same email address and got emails for each of us - so no problem there).
  • Options
    Atticus wrote...
    "I have the same thing with the other person's details not being recognised. They have no record of my husband so they are entering him for the ballot that starts tomorrow (places available because people don't pay in time)"

How did you enter for the second ballot?
  • Options
    To my knowledge, all unsuccessful entrants into the first ballot are automatically entered into the second one.
  • Options
    yeah, but if your details have 'got lost' or simply werent registered when you submitted the online form (which i suspect has happened in a lot of cases) how are you supposed to put your name forward for the second ballot. the whole things a farce if you ask me.
  • Options
    just calling in to say hi peeps :o)

still injured but am getting excited anyway
  • Options
    TEFoS, it does sound as if things are a little less well organised than one might hope. Let's just pray that that isn't true of the event itself - 47000 runners take some organising!
  • Options
    I live just outside of Middlesbrough, and leave around 7.30am to get to the start. Lots of cheap places to stay around here
  • Options
    Morning all - good luck to all those who are in the second ballot (me as well!)
  • Options
    I phoned up and they entered his details for me! - Whether they actually do it or they just say they do I don't know
  • Options
    Just found out I have got a place running with THe Barmy Army - Leukemia Research.
    Need to by £34 entry fee, by 1/4/05. Still waiting to here about 2nd ballot
  • Options
    when do you hear about the 2nd ballot?
  • Options
    I got an e-mail today - I'm in yikes !!!!

Did it in 2002 and really enjoyed - will have to get off my fat arse now!!!
  • Options
    just got my eamil

I'm in

woopee!

I think, like cotty, i have some serious work to do!!!
  • Options
    excellent lurker & cotty
    i managed 2 miles today on my injured feet - think i have some work to do too!
  • Options
    Does anyone know of of any digs [cheep like] in or around Newcastle.All the hotels i have phoned seem to be booked up GNR weekend.Thanks.
  • Options
    What side of Newcastle are you looking for? My dad and I are travelling from Scotland so we have booked in to a B&B in Morpeth. Will take 20 - 30 minutes to drive in to Newcastle / South Shields the next morning (depending where my dad wants to dump the car!), but it beats driving 4 - 5 hours that morning (like we did the last time!).
  • Options
    Hi guys
    I have a place in the great north, just started running recently, but training going well, i am hoping for a sub 2hour time in september. Does anybody know what the course is like, how hilly etc, cant find any info on it at all. although i live in leeds and is impossible to avoid hills here so not too worried, but would like to know.
    Is GNR generally considered a fast or slow route??
    any help plz
    Seb
  • Options
    Seb, it's flat in my opinion (apart from steep downhill near the finish) but then i'm from a hilly area of Yorkshire too. I have heard a lot of people say it is hilly, maybe they were running a different race!

However, it is not fast unless you are an elite athlete as there are so many people you end up weaving all over the place.

Enjoy it and good luck.
  • Options
    i thought it was hilly when i did it and hadn't trained very hard but the following year i'd trained more and thought it seemed flat :o)
    but then i've never done another race so i've nothing to compare it to. but its hillier than where i used to train

agree with EF that there's too many peeps for it to be fast altho in 2003 i did it as fast as it was possible for me to do going by my training times

sorry know thats know help :o)
  • Options
    It sounds weird that it starts on a motorway though.
  • Options
    But then I'm going to be spending a few hours on the motorway to get there. AA route planner calculates its 304 miles from my house, in south wales, to centre of newcastle. Anyone travelling from further afield?