BUPA Great North Run

Comments

• You are going to be travelling the day before, aren't you?!

My dad and I thought it would be fine to travel from central Scotland on the morning when we ran it in. Bad idea!

We've got a B&B booked in Morpeth for the Saturday night this time!
  • blimey zoom - thats a looong way!
  • Thanks Debstir, i am coming from manchester, just got sorted with a caravan in Whitley Bay. Ive not been in a caravan since i was a kid,so me and the Mrs have decided to make a long weekend of it, Friday to monday.
  • debstir-mate (this is her fifth gnr) and I are going to make a weekend of it and travel up early on the saturday and return later on the monday.
  • Does anyone know where abouts in Newcastle the race starts from. I'm staying at the Thistle Hotel opposite the train station and was wondering how far away the start would be from my accomodation? Thanks.
  • Geegee, Race starts on the A167 at Spital Tongues (approx 1.5 miles north-west of the Tyne Bridge). The central train station is about 1 mile south of the start area, so you are not too far away.

• the start is on a big road (not sure what its called) near the royal victoria hosp

there's a metro station just near the train station and the nearest stop to the start is haymarket
  • Thanks guys for the info - looking forward to it. I'm a first timer!
  • Is it a nightmare to get a taxi, bus, etc the day of the great north run? Just wondering how to get back to newcastle after the race. Do you have to carry money with you when you run so you've got money handy to pay for the journey home? Also where is the best place for spectators? Is the finish line mobbed? So many questions...
  • geegee - sure you'll really enjoy it. just dont expect a fast time, clear paths to run on or to get out of there quickly at the end, and you wont be disappointed. i've always found the atmosphere great :o) and enjoy it so much i did it last year after 9 months injury and still injured.
  • Rhino - It will be my first 1/2 marathon so won't be worrying about PB's. Can't believe you ran it injured. What's the injury? Are you running it this year?
  • stacks of room for spectators at the finish. the last mile is down the sea front and peeps can get all along there.

last year as we were so slow cos of my injury, we finished just after one and didn't get home til about 5 (the journey is usually about 40mins). made the mistake of leaving the car at the finish and got stuck

the year before we got straight on a bus to the metro station and back to the car (at the start) and home in just over an hour. cant remember if we had to pay for the bus but they have stacks there to take the runners away

but it can take a long time. worth it tho. could always stop in a pub til the traffic etc settles :o)
  • PF and a whole load of other stuff thats now come with it

yep i certainly am doing it this year. probably still injured but we can all live in hope!
  • Pub sounds like a good idea. I think I will deserve a nice big glass of wine after 13 miles of running:o)
    I'm looking forward to the whole atmosphere and a fun week-end away.
  • i'm looking forward to it too :o)
    just hope i can actually train for it this year!
    but at least i know i'll enjoy it even if i cant
    are you running it on your own or with someone?
  • This thread is becoming very busy and it's only March! Can you imagine what it'll be like by August? I'm still trying to organise a charity place for myself - I guess I'd better pull my finger out.
  • Christopher Graley - I would be really interested to know which site you've booked in Whitley Bay as i'm struggling to find a hotel. I'm thinking of booking a caravan or even towing our own caravan up there for the weekend.
  • Geegee: I don't know about the glass of wine after running - I was thinking about filling my water bottle with wine to dull the pain!!
  • Rhino- I'm running it with a couple of friends . We all run at different paces though so not sure if we'll stay together for the whole race. In saying that I'm running it for the experience and atmosphere and not for fast times so I'll probably just relax and go with the flow and have a chat along the way. As the race is so big I expect it's quite easy to get split up from who you're running with though? Are you running with anyone?

Elaine - LOL - yeah that sounds like a good idea - water bottle transfered into a wine bottle!
  • hi geegee

i think it depends how much you really want to stay with someone
    first time i did it with a friend who really held me up, but i had no idea where i was and it was my first race so made sure i didn't lose her

the last 3 years me and my boyf have done it together and stayed together with no trouble at all. i even left him on all the hills the year before last and he always kept sight of me and got back to me (but he is tall) and we were nearer the front so it wasn't that crowded

on the other hand i know stacks of peeps that have (maybe pretended?) wanted to stay with someone but have lost them even within the first mile

i'm running with boyf again this year and i can guarentee(?) we wont lose each other unless one of us wants to :o)
  • Think I might rent out my spare room.....45 mins from Newcastle, luxury apartment above my bar, large jacuzzi etc etc... any takers?
  • good idea - maybe i will too! about the same time away, luxury box room with single bed and shared bathroom....any takers!
  • I have a hotel booked for 2 nights in Darlington, which is probably about an hours drive/train from the start. I now have a hotel nearer so I dont need it. I can cancel at no financial loss but would anyone like it???
  • I (foolishly?) have registered with Nirvina for hotel & transfers. Can you more experienced runners tell me how the transfer system works? My wife & I need to get from hotel to start then wife to finish then both back to hotel to pick up car. Is this how the transfer system works? As a first timer in such a big event I'm feeling more concerned about these organisational matters than the race itself though no doubt that will change!
  • Hi - I must be really lucky in that my in-laws live in gateshead, so i can stay there. My biggest concern is getting home again on the sunday - to Cambridge, ready for work Monday morning. Can't take a day off as i teach - not allowed!! Am starting to worry about getting out of South Shields now, let alone home!
  • I used Nirvana last year and am doing again this time. Not sure what happens to spectators getting from start to finish (metro?) but the rest of it works just like you say Roy. It seemed to work very well and was well organised, but everything takes AGES cus of the amount of traffic
  • Roy, I have registered with Nirvana too. I'm a first timer aswell and like you will have family with me. When I spoke to Nirvana they assured me they could deal with the spectators as well as me but as yet I have not heard back from them with any accommodation. I'm sure everything will work out fine in the end though (?!?)
    Wonder if they could give me a lift to the finish?...