BUPA Great North Run

Comments

• I booked with Nirvana last year and didnt hesitate to book again with them this year.
    I parked my car at Durham University on Saturday dinnertime and didn't use it again til I went home on Sunday evening. Nirvana did everything - they pick you up first thing Sunday morning and drop you off near the start. After the run they do a shuttle service back to your accommodation. The best thing though was that they let you back into your room for a shower (none of this checking out by 1100am malarky). The breakfast was great and they do a pasta meal on the Saturday night for a small charge. I thought it was well worth it to use them.
  • (GNRp8)Thanks Ali, Elaine & Mandie. I've not heard from Nirvina either as yet other than a receipt for my deposit. No doubt all will fall into place nearer the time.
  • Luckily my parents live in Tynemouth so I'll be staying with them. Hubby will probably get the Metro to South Shields for the finish (assuming they are not choc-a-bloc)

This is my first GNR and I'm quite nervous. I know there's loads of time for training, but I'm only running about 5 miles in my long run at the moment.
  • I've just booked through Nirvana and will be staying at Collingwood College in Durham. Single room en-suite, breakfast, and all transfers for £79, which i think is reasonable.
    I have paid my deposit, with the balance due 8 weeks before the run, i received the written confirmation a couple of days after it was booked.
    It's all in hand, so all i need now is to keep injury/virus free until september!!
  • sent my £34 fee to Leaukemia Barmey ARmy. I have ended up with two places one with gnr and one with leaukemia
  • is it that hard to get accomadation in newcastle around this time!!!!
  • The one and only time I did the GNR, I booked accommodation early the previous December (yes, 10 months before the race) and got a hotel place only because of a cancellation. Nirvana buys up all the accommodation years in advance, and resells it at a vast profit.

I found the whole GNR experience pretty unpleasant, I'm afraid.
  • I struggled for three days solid trying to get accomodation earlier and managed to get a B&B in Morpeth (we're travelling from Scotland so it didn't make any sense driving further down the country than we had to).

I think my dad and I are only doing it because it's the 25th anniversary (we did it about 8 years ago) but it's getting too overhyped and overpriced. Much prefer the smaller runs.
  • im just doing it for the atmosphere and the experience but I think it is outrageous that Nirvana have tried to dominate the hotels etc

Ive managed to find something in Washington by myself but it isn't easy for people...Maybe its become all about the money?
  • The atmosphere is great, and it's certainly something to run with 40,000+ people. But the logistics are difficult. If you live in the area, you're OK but coming from the south, I found the practicalities very frustrating. It took us 4 hours to get out out of South Shields for instance because the transport infrastructure just can't cope.

It's very pricey too. I wouldn't mind so much if the profits went to charity (as with the FLM), but the GNR is a commercial operation, and they seem to turn the screw very tight to squeeze money out of the punters.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be so mean as to hope that people don't have a good run up there. It's an interesting experience and many people do go back for more, so it can't be all bad.
  • I have to agree that it does seem purely economic...Sad but true.

Saying that, I'm running for the 2nd year in a row. Luckily my boyfriend's at uni in Newcastle, so I just steal his house for the weekend.

But I don't envy everyone who has to stay in a hotel...
  • Corky2Corky2 ✭✭✭
    RunningCommentary

so what do you recommend for Southern newbies who haven't run this one before and our dreading the logistics at the end? Is there a hotel at the finish that one can fall into? Or is Durham univ campus the best option. I don't fancy being stuck in queues all day...
  • There are 2 questions here, cutiepie.

Where to stay? And how to get away at the end?

If I was doing it again (!) I would try to find some B'n'B in South Shields.

But the chances of that at this late stage (ie 6 months before the race!) are small.

Let me be honest with you. If I was you, I would throw my race number into the bin, and just be glad that I wouldn't have to go through with the hassle.

But if you're totally committed to going, then I dunno, yes, I suppose you have to take whatever's going, or throw yourself onto the non-existent mercy of Nirvana and Fatty Foster.

Sorry to sound so cynical. You may want to do what we did. At the end, in South Shields, we just found a pub and stayed there for 3 hours or so. There was still a traffic jam even then, but at last it was moving by that time.

South Shields is a small place, and they're not really geared up to 100,000 or so people turning up all of a sudden.

Best thing is just to have a devil-may-care attitude, and go with the flow.
  • hello!
    yes RC i agree - you definately just need to go with the flow. wanting or needing to be out of s shields quickly and you'll just end up v p!ssed off. we were STOPPED in a traffic jam (still stuck in the car park) for nearly 3 hours last year and didn't get home til nearly 5pm! last time we leave the car at the finish, normally we leave it at the start. the best way to be sure of getting out quickly is to r*n it quickly and keep r*nning til you get to the first bus out of there! we did this the year before last and we were home by half 1 and we live an hour away!
  • I'm hoping to make it down to the ferry landing and get the ferry back across to North Shields and get family to pick us up from there.

Not sure how busy the ferry will be and I get seasick on it!! Pathetic I know.
  • Did my first half marathon in Bath yesterday (with a mere 5,500!) Although I thought I wasn't going to like the distance, having favoured the 10k and thinking I would find it too long, I loved every 13.1 mile, and didn't struggle at all. Gnr here I come!!!!!!!
  • elf - last year the queues to the ferry were HUGE. think it all depends on how quick you finish tho and how quick you collect your goody bag and get out of there
  • well done on your fist half zoom - glad you enjoyed it!

i'm still injured so still not training :o(
  • Rhino - I won't be fast. This is my first half marathon. Have a 10K race in April and ran my first race 5K last September.
    Maybe I'll just go to the beach in South Shields if the weather is nice, and build sandcastles while the traffic dies down :-)
  • I think your very brave rhino to still come on here and talk to all of us who are still out running. Whenever I'm injured or poorly and can't run it makes me feel worse to come on here:-(

So it's pack a picnic and park yourself in a spot until the traffic has died down a bit then!
  • elf, zoom - sand castles, picnic or the pub! any will do, but you'd have to be lucky to get out there quick

i've been injured so long zoom, nothing could make me feel worse! i have my last hope on thursday when i go to visit a proper r*nning injury guy and he has to fix me!
  • Cutiepie. I've ran this the past 2 years and haven't found the traffic too bad. Both times I've parked in the Gallowgate car park (right next to St James Park), if you get their between 8:30 and 9 there's plenty of spaces. It's about a 15 minute walk to the start from here. At the finish don't hang around for too long, it's about a 20 minute walk to South Sheilds train station. There can be a bit of a queue here, depending on when you get there but the trains back to Newcastle are very regular (you can buy your tickets the day before). Once back in Newcastle I've always gotten away without any problem however, I've always been going Westbound rather than down the A1. As for accomodation the advice you've had is correct. You've no chance of getting a B&B with in 20 miles of Newcastle at this stage (unless your very lucky). I've stayed in Consett and Morpeth before and the B&B's seem to only allow stays of 2 nights or more. It's a great atmosphere though and the crowds are fantastic, especially for the last in the last 2 miles. They definitely keep you going. Enjoy yourself!
  • i'd go along with traffic fine out of the toon, even down the a1, but its getting back there we've always had a problem with. never tried walking out! but the buses to the metro station take v long time, get stuck and very hot - peeps puking etc, and the metro's get so full you cant get on, unless you're there early. but getting the car out of s.shield is def v difficult. i'm just waffling now aren't i?
  • I just had to sit in a Nirvarna coach, completly stationary, for about an hour, then another hour as it crawled to the drop-off point, and then half an hour in the car til traffic was moving anything like normally. My advice would be to try to just go-with-the-flow, expect it to take forever, and have plenty of nice food and drink with you.
  • It took me over an hour to get out of the carpark at a local half marathon at the weekend. So it's not just the GNR with problems. That only had 3,500 finishers and two or three large car parks.

Back to Nirvana for us this year with the GNR. Not cheap, but it takes away a lot of the hassle. Have already booked hotel. Wasn't impressed with the B&B Nirvana put us in 2 years back.

I assume the first magazine will arrive shortly with all of the details.
  • other option (as i am doing) is to make a holiday off it. book a holiday cottage nearby for a week and relax after the race. then you don't have to worry about how long it takes to get out of south shields.
  • this is going to be a big one for me, i have set my self 1,35 so i now have a aim, bring it on, i did the liverpool hals last week in 1.44, so i have 6-7 months to knock 9 mins off, i will do it, oh yes i will do it!!!!
  • Just a word on the ferries.
    I've walked to the ferry terminal from th efinish for three years now. The first year the queues were huge, but the sun was shining and the atmosphere was good. They do shift people very quickly though, even long queues move quickly.

Last year and the year before I didn't hang around very long after collecting my goody bag. The queues were much shorter.

I would definitely recommend this way of getting away from S Shields, even if your destination is South.
  • Not going this year, but for the past three times we've camped at South Shields. Limited facilities, but excellent atmosphere on campsite (get there early if you can). Really handy for the finish and buses outside campsite take you to the start. Just relax at the end, make a brew or two and wait for the traffic to calm down a bit. We used the A19 to travel south and found it much quieter than the A1 - you join the A1 at Dishforth (which is generally ok, depending on roadworks near Wetherby, but if A1 looks stacked up, take the old A1 which runs paralell to new A1, down to Boroughbridge and right down to the A59 where you have to rejoin the A1!! Still with me?). Good Luck to you all - decided to try the Robin Hood Half this year which is a bit closer to home, but know I shall miss the GNR (specially when I see it on the TV!!).
  • Last year I parked at Heworth metro station and took the metro to the start. Took about 20-30 mins, no problems.

Then afterwards we got our goodie bags, grabbed a quick cuppa in the charity tent (still the best cuppa I've ever tasted!) and headed straight to the metro and back to Heworth. The metro queue was about 30-40 mins and there was no traffic to speak of on the roads heading south.

The year before we parked at Sunderland/Stadium of sh1te and did the same - same result, no problems.

I guess we were at the metro in South Sheilds inside of 2:30 after the gun, but this seems to work well and we'll definitely be doing the same this year.

Hope it helps - and good luck on the day!
    Cheers,
    Andrew