BUPA Great North Run

Comments

• We always park at the finish, get there around 8.30 ish. get a shuttle bus to the start - now problems and lots of chatter on the bus. Walk to the start about 10 mins from the bus drop off point.
    Afterwards head to the charity tents for a sarnie and lovely cuppa. Meet with friends head to the Sandpiper for a drink ( although packed) a nice atmosphere. Then get the car out of the car park (about 30 mins) and head off back down the A19. (Ran last year in 2hours 9 mins
  • This is my first half marathon, so if I can run it in under 3 hours I will be a happy Elf.

Maybe I should just walk to the ferry landing and swim across the river :-) On second thoughts it was never very clean, and I can't imagine it has changed that much in the time I've been away!
  • Just wondered if anyone else had heard from Nirvana yet - I heard nothing since I registered then today received an invoice for a motel I haven't agreed to in Hartlepool for 1 night - Friday and nothing for saturday night!!

In the meantime I have found a country park campsite to take my caravan to and have decided to stay over til the monday - hopefully missing some of the traffic!
  • Can you register with Nirvana now? Didn't spot that on the web site. Just want the coach transfer (staying in Holiday Inn near to 6 mile turn). Was waiting for the first magazine.
  • I registered just after I got notification of my place in the run. Don't know if you can still register now.
  • I got my Nirvarna thing yesterday too - it says I'm in Durham - anyone know what that means re getting away at the end?
  • If you have the Nirvana package then you have about a half mile walk from the finish to the Nirvana buses. They will bus you back to your car park. In the past, Nirvana have had a different exit road to the public to speed them up a bit. How quick this is depends on when you finish the race.

Just keep stretching the legs on the bus. Not easy, but if you go straight to the bus then jump straight into a car, you could feel it later!
  • Got my letter too. Im staying at Durham University same as last year. I'm not sure about the different exit road cos it took ages to get back in bumper to bumper traffic. I might try the stretching of the legs this year cos last year I felt fine til I tried to stand up to get off the coach......I ended up virtually crawling back to my room!
  • I'm staying at Durham Uni too, but am considering taking the train up there and not the car - just in case my legs are suffering (or i have a couple of beers after!!).
  • can I be very nosy and ask you how much it's costing you to stay at the Uni? Me and my sister seem to be quite a posh hotel which'll be very nice but we don't really need it and I don't want to be paying more than we need
  • Just got my Nirvana confirmation/invoice and my hotel is in Darlington (35 miles south of Newcastle). I certainly don't remember asking to be placed as far away as this!

Looks like a very early start for me and my wife that Sunday morning. Is anyone else located this far away or has anybody got previous experience of being based in Darlington with Nirvana? Thanks.
  • Ali H I booked through Nirvana. Its £79 per night for a single ensuite room which includes breakfast and coach transfers to and from the run. I stayed there last year and the only fault I could find was no tv in my room. I was also allowed to keep my room til 5pm on the Sunday which meant I could shower/change before the drive home.

I assume the prices are higher if you book double/family rooms.

Hope this helps! x
  • Thanks Mandie - that's really helpful x
  • My package is identical to Mandie R's, a single en-suite at Collingwood (Durham) for £79.
    I've heard it has a very good bar, but that's going to be no good to us the night before an half marathon!!.... well maybe just one.
  • The hotel Nirvana have given me is in Hartlepool and despite requesting 'budget accommodation' will cost £120 per night for me, husband and one of my daughters. This is for a travel inn which, in my experience, usually cost about £49 per room!! They also only booked me for one night and I asked for ". They took a £50 deposit off me but I am seriously considering cutting my losses as I have found a caravan site near the metro centre for £15 a night, the location of which hopefully will be a lot less hassle on the morning of the race!
  • my package is for me and my sister in a twin ensuite hotel room in Durham, transfers for both of us both ways and cost £115 total - so cheaper than the University accommodation. I thought it was a lot but doesn't seem so bad now!
  • Got my package for me & her indoors. Staying at the Esplanade hotel in Whiteley Bay B&B + transfers for £139
  • My £120 per night does not include breakfast or transfers but does include a long battle with traffic the morning of the race!!
  • sdtoot,
    I live in Darlington and there are some good hotel / b&b's at probably a lot less than Nirvana are charging. Its also on the direct main line railway to Newcastle so you can travel without any hassle or waiting in traffic queues
    Email me if you want any more info, I will be offline till next wednesday as I'm off to London tomorrow for the FLM but I will answer when I get back.
  • Good Luck Snail
    Have you been training hard
    Will watch for you on the telly.
    Have you reached the big birthday yet then??
  • Hi, I've got a place in the GNR (my first half marathon - oh my first big run really).. and as I'm coming from Jersey I have a few questions

1 Anyone know where I can get a training schedule from - I do run around 5k twice a week, and have done a 10k once before (last November)

2 how do I get accomodation ? I have no car as I'm flying in so any ideas are graefully welcomed !

Thanks a lot

Jacks
  • jacks123: if you get it sorted now get a membership to the youth hostel association. Newcastle has a nice hostel in the Jesmond district of the city very close to the metro line which will take you down to the start line. Cheap easy to get to and ideal for getting your head down for a couple of nights.
  • Jacks - there's some good training schedules on this site - under 'training'. I've used the half-marathon one 3 times now and it really suits me. The easiest way of sorting out accommodation is through Nirvana, but it's not cheap. Good luck!
  • when do we get any info of them then,!!!!!

londons done now bring on GNR
  • We should be hearing soon. Usually get the Great Manchester and the Great North magazines around the same time (basically the same magazine). Manchester is only around 4 weeks away so final info is due. My legs will have recovered from London by then!
  • Just had an email back from Nirvana and their coach service will be £19.99 per head this year. Last year was £15 and I thought the year before was £10.

Maybe I'll not be using their coaches - not with 4 people to be transferred. I'm sure a taxi would be cheaper.
  • I missed out on the ballot and was gonna get a charity place but have now decided against this. As a result of this I've got a couple of double rooms going spare at the Washington Holiday Inn for the Saturday and Sunday night, please email me if you're interested. I'm letting them go for £120 each.

• Can anyone help.

I raced last year and decided to pay the money to join the GNR club to guarantee a place for the next 3 years. I received confirmation that I've become a member.

I thought I would get an email or letter asking me to apply formally for 2005 race but have received nothing.

I assume I'm in but have I missed anything ?? Can't see anything on website that tells me.
  • Did you not pay the race entry fee at the same time as the membership fee? We did.

Check how much you paid at the time. If you applied via the web site you should be able to see there if you are registered.