Saturday Session

Morning all!

Very unusal to get a first!

What:zilch
Why:race tomorrow, but just wanted to post first!

Have a good weekend all and good luck all racers!

Comments

• In my case, just knackered after yesterday's effort - but at least managed to get a reasonable amount of sleep for once.

what: short recovery jog - maybe 3 miles
    why: between long hard (yesterday) & very long (tomorrow)

last hard run: Fri
    last long run: Sun
    last rest day: Thu

Hilly - the sore throat has gone then? Usually once one gets hold of me it takes days to shake off.
  • ...& good luck to yourself & anyone else racing tomorrow....
  • I'm not hung-over! Even though I had the chance to have a few drinks last night, had 2 sips of wine and got a blinding headache. I'm sure I can make up for that soon.

Mike, I'm really impressed with your training, you deserve the time you want at Helsby.

Good luck tomorrow Hilly.

What: nothing.
    Why: need a rest, and did my long run yesterday, also have family commitments all day.
    Haven't been able to do any speedwork at all this week, seems recovery from last weekend's race is longer than I thought.
    Last rest: Mon
    Last hard: yesterday felt hard.
  • What: anything. Hurrah, no hangover, no kids (love em, but time to myself is great too). Probably a hills session today and long run tomorrow
    Why: it's nearly CHRISSSSSSSSSSSSSMAS and all that, the goose is getting fat, but I don't want to and there's a marathon to run in March
    Last hard: oh, god, don't ask!
    Last easy: the last three weeks
  • what: 11 miles easy
    why: long run of the week

last hard: Wednesday
    last rest: Friday

Good luck all racers.
  • Yup - hungover!

Doing a long run tomorrow, will probably do some upper body weights down the gym later on.

Best of luck with the race Hilly!
  • Good luck Hilly, which race are you doing? Looking forward to the report tomorrow.

What: Nowt
    Why: Taper prior to tomorrows race (Keyworth Turkey Trot 1/2M)
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Today

Looks like the weather is going to be Grimsby!

Best of luck to all racing.
  • Afternoon all.

What: Rest, scoffing carbohydrates later.
    Why: Radcliffe 10K tomorrow.
    Hard: Tuesday.
    Rest: Yesterday.

Zero hangover - resisted going out & may even do so tonight too. Quite scary.

Best of luck (or, more usefully, best of stamina) to everyone else competing this weekend. Oh, and everyone not competing too.
  • What: just got back from 13 miles easy
    Why: long slow run, building up the distance
    Last hard: Wed
    Last rest: Thurs

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow
  • Yes, I'm hungover. Wish I weren't though, but even if I weren't, I'd still feel completely knackered from the week.

Anyway.

Today will probably include cycling, if only because I just ran out of dental floss and therefore need to go into town to get some more. Oh yes, and more food too.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone racing today or tomorrow.

Not hungover today but felt as though I was!

What: 20 miler at a nice easy pace. Would have like to gone faster but wasn't fully recovered from yesterday's sessions, especially last night's which was bit too fast. One of the worst runs I've had and I was glad to get home. The last six miles into a biting headwind was horrible. Managed to lose 5lbs during the run, despite refuelling and drinking constantly.
    Why: weekly long run
    Last rest day: Wednesday
    Last hard day: probably yesterday, although Thursday was harder!
  • Drew, are you training to win the Marathon? I think you're allowed to have the occasional bad run. I'm on an post run high, although hands are v numb so hard to type. Great hill session (23 mins 4 reps on steep, 4 on not so steep), biting cold, refreshing. Put up my Christmas Tree up etc...now going to post a hill q - any thoughts appreciated...
  • good luck hilly and MM and Swerve and anyone else I've forgotten who's racing tomorrow.

great training, Drew, you're really going for it this week - don't you do recovery days anymore?! ;-)

what: 5 miles recovery @ 6:55 pace
    why: long run tomorrow
    last hard day: yesterday's intervals
    last rest: Sunday
  • Not hungover, just tired following school Christmas fair duty. Have poured myself a glass of red (yes I know it's only 5.30pm but it's for medicinal purposes!) but probably won't have any more tonight as I have a hilly 10 mile training run planned for tomorrow early.
    Hoping to put Christmas tree up tomorrow afternoon.
    Today:
    What: No running.
    Why: Xmas fair.
    Last hard: Today? Really, Wednesday track.
    Last rest: Thursday.
  • Enjoy the red Tiger

Just to say, good luck Marmite, Swere, Hilly, etc...
  • 3.2 miles(on underestimating pedometer), no walk breaks, and even felt ok!!!!!!
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Achilles, just trying to keep up with you! Last night's recovery run was at 7:01 pace, but it was very hilly.

Got to make sure I can do my 2:44:48 at London, although my plan is to simply tailgate you for the first 26.19 miles and sprint past :)
  • Drew + Achilles,
    I'm just wondering what sort of time do you think you'll have to be able to run a 1/2M in, in order to be in sub-2:45 shape for the marathon?

The reason I ask is that sub-2:45 is my lifelong 'dream' goal for the marathon and I'm just curious as to what sort of time you'd think I'd have to work towards in the half in order to be capable of achieving sub-2:45?
  • Drew + Achilles,
    I guess I should have just asked if you think double your 1/2M time + 10-15 minutes is a sensible formula at that level i.e. 1/2M time between 1:15 and 1:17:30?

Thanks

• I wanna remove my post, is there an edit facility
  • Drew - rats, tailgating you was MY plan! though not sure I'd keep up for very long at the rate you're going.

MM - my 1/2M times have always been rubbish and somehow my marathon times have mostly been quite a bit better than the 1/2M would predict (ditto 10K times). perhaps cos my year-round training is more geared specifically to doing two good marathons and not worrying hugely about anything else. that's my excuse anyway.

and what's all this modesty? surely you're not that far off already? I was planning to draft off you once Drew had vanished over the horizon. ;-)
  • Well done to everybody's hard training today & good luck to everybody racing tomorrow.

I've raced a tough XC this afternoon the temp on the car read 3deg. It didn't feel that cold so I stuck to vest & shorts.
    My aim was to start fast & hang on. Unfortunatley the field was stronger than I thought. I battled on up the tough hill at the begining but lost touch. One more lap on & the leaders were not that far in front. I kept working hard for the rest of the race in 8th spot. The underfoot conditions were ok but cut on the corners from the three previous races. I tried desperately to close the gap in front of me. Then with 100m remaining my teamate had the cheek to pass me & beat me by 4 seconds. Just as well I like him otherwise I would have been disappointed. I'm very happy with a top 10 finish & my time of 36:52 is good for 10Km XC.

Tim
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Evenin' all.
    What : easy 4.5 miles off road
    Why : Tadley Christmas x-c tomorrow
    Last Rest : yesterday (well made a start on painting the hall if that counts)
    Last Hard : probably Wednesday

Been drizzly all day so conditions tomorrow should be nice and greasy.I'll post a report sometime tomorrow or Monday.
    Good luck everyone else out racing this w/e, and well done Big Tim on your run thsi a'noon.
  • Achilles,
    so would you mind sharing what your current marathon PB is and what time your 1/2M was run in prior to that PB?

I think this is a really interesting question because it gets back to the issue of how much people slow down as they increase distance.

Horwill quotes 15 sec per mile as you double the distance so roughly
    marathon - 2:45, 6:18 min/mile
    1/2M - 1:19:15, 6:03 min/mile
    10K - 35:58, 5:48 min/mile

For me this seems a little unforgiving as I'm currently around 24 secs per mile difference between 10K and 1/2M pace but then the 10K was pancake flat and the 1/2M was rolling, so probably closer to 20 secs per mile on equivalent courses (in terms of topography).

Sorry to hijack this thread people!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Mike-the sore throat is nearly gone, I've given it radical treatment since Thursday. Heaps of lozenges, aspirin and echanacea, with the occasional gargle with lavender! Not 100%, but I will race. WHAT WILL BE, WILL BE!!

I'll let you all know how I get on. Fingers crossed for the pb!

Drew-your training is amazing! If only I had your energy....
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Big Tim, brilliant result and bloody good time for a 10k xc.

MM, I'll feel quite confident of doing the 2:45 if I can get under 1:19 by March next year and can maintain my long runs. My 2:57 was 3 weeks after a 1:25 1/2 on a very flat course, although the weather was atrocious. Really disappointed not to have gone under 1:20 this year as my 1:21 PB was done in June on a day when I didn't feel that good.
  • 1/3 mile warm up really slow then 2 2/3 very slow - just about got the stiffness out of my calves. Hated coming back into that east wind - 5 miles of that (a la Drew) would have been seriously depressing. Even colder forecast for the long one tomorrow - yech!
  • Big Tim - great running, we are not worthy!

and best of luck for tomorrow, hilly.

MM - I ran 2:55 at FLM last year, and my PB would have been very close to, if not under, 2:50 in October had it not been for a marshalling disaster at mile 25. :-( haven't run a 1/2M all year as they make me depressed about my speed (see my earlier comments), but ran a 36:37 10K in November while not on form and carrying an injury, so I reckon 2:45 in April is going to be extremely hard work but not completely unachievable.

if I can do a 1:19 1/2M in February then I will feel like I'm on course, even though this "ought" to be too slow.

my most reliable test has long been the good old Yasso 800's and these seem to be shaping up pretty well for now.

but watch this space, cos I could be hopelessly wrong!
  • Better late than never folks!

Well done Big Time, Thats good going on your XC 10k, well done to all for there training this week.

What: Nothing
    Why:Have been really tired the last two days, thought id listen to my body and not my running prog.
    Last Hard: Wed
    Last Rest: fri/sat

Have a good weekend
  • Drew + Achilles
    thanks very much for the feedback, I find it really useful to get this kind of info from people with firsthand experience. So I guess both of you are right inline with Horwill regarding his +15 secs/mile with doubling of distance (i.e. somewhere around 1/2M in 1:18:39 @6 min/mile; marathon in 2:43:52 @6:15 min/mile). Best of luck to you both. Please post as much detail on your training as you can stand as I'll want to use it down the road!!

Big Tim,
    apologies, seemed to have scanned right over your race report earlier (I guess I was too anxious to read Drew's + Achille's responses). That is an outstanding result for a 10K under any circumstances and for a XC it is awesome. A top 10 finish is remarkable, nice one!