Options

why do I feel so cold all day after my long run?

Hi,

I'm a novice and slow plodder training for the FLM.

After my long runs (up to 15 miles so far), I feel ok in terms of lungs and legs etc. But I feel chilled to the bone all the rest of the day and can't get warm no matter what I do.

Why is that and what can I do about it?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gar,

don't know why, but me too. It doesn't have to be that long either: if I do a short but faster one, I end up really cold too. Speculate that it is something to do with all blood going to repair leg muscles, with none spare to warm rest of body?

I find that drinking a cup of tea while in a hot bath warms me up the fastest. But have been known to sleep on the floor next to a radiator!
  • Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    not sure

are you eating enough afterwards? could be lack of fuel to heat your fire??
  • Options
    Gar....It does sound like you need to fuel up more after your runs, particularily the long runs.
    What do you usually eat after a run ?

Are you cold during the runs as well, or only after ?

We met briefly at Cardiff and from my poor memory (every thing was a blur that day anyway) I seem to recall you are quite a slim build ??

I find that since losing my weight I am generally cold most of the time, a strange thing for me I can tell you!!!!!!
    So I have to wear several thin layers to compensate.
    What about extra layers, are you wearing enough ?

• Options
    you need food gar
  • Options
    I have plenty of padding and I still feel frozen for most of the day after a longer run. I have hot tea, shower and pile on the clothes. Sometimes I can't eat much after a run, so I agree with others that this is probably a factor. Maybe a hot chocolate would be even better than tea?
  • Options
    I actually turn bright blue

a hot bath doesnt really help
    food does

agree-get it down inliquid form
    soup is good too
  • Options
    most people don't eat enough, you need a good breakfast, at least 60grams of carbs per hour whilst doing your long run and (assuming you are small) something like 20grams of quality protein and 80grams of sugar straight after your run. if you are medium sized, double those quantities. that's a lot more than most people think.

eat that, and sit in a hot bath for half an hour, and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    I'm always cold but I know I don't eat enough, find it really hard to eat any more than I do.

I did 2 hours of cardio yesterday (hour run & hour cross country...oh and did weights) and only ate about about 1200 calories...yet exercise takes hunger away.
  • Options
    only because it puts your body into "starvation mode" and shuts down your basal metabolism... its a bit like an instant atkins diet. the problem is, this spares fat and breaks down lean tissue.

if you are active, the more you eat, the leaner and faster you'll get.

eg as an example my training load varies, but its generally around 18 - 20 hours a week. i had "plateaud" at a certain level, but since november i upped my food intake, by adding an extra meal a day, and having a post-training recovery meal of 40g of quality protein and 160g of high-i carbs. didn't change my training at all, just started eating until it hurt.

my times have zoomed forwards, suddenly i'm doing 22 mile steady runs 20 minutes quicker, and 100 mile steady bike rides 30 minutes quicker. also, going by muscle definition (i think weighing scales are for the anally retentive only), i've lost a fair amount of fat.

so stuff yourself!

just avoid processed crap like chocolate and crisps and ready meals.
  • Options
    high-GI carbs. dody G key on this computer!
  • Options
    _dodgy_ (see!)
  • Options
    I only eat fresh food, not really a chocolate fan either...I do love crisps but very rarely eat them. I eat mostly brown bread, veggies and salad, I'm a veggie too so no meat or fish.

I am finding recently since I've been training more that my legs are dead alot of the time...I'm guessing it's because of lack of fuel....I find I get starving at lunch times and then in the evenings I have trouble even eating food....just can't face it. Yet I don't get in from training till 7.30-8pm.
  • Options
    if you don't recover, there's no point training, and getting the right nutrients in when your body is most receptive (ie within ten minutes or so of training) is the key to recovery.

cant you try premixing a recovery shake and just necking that? eg High5 vanilla is reasonably palatable, and assuming you're quite small you wont need that much.
  • Options
    I have no idea how many calories I need though...I do eat every night though, I would never miss a meal. Yet I would say I ate the same as my house mate and she doesn't train.

I'm not too thin though and I do look toned etc

could look at shakes etc, have a health sports shop near me, might pop in and take a look.
  • Options
    yet there is a ponit for me to train as I enjoy it :o) only reason I do it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, and a special <mwah> to tinribs for even the blurred memory of me having a slim build!

The consensus seems to be that I should eat more. Before the long runs, I've been having yoghurt, seeds and an apple, a couple of 16g energy gels during (plus water), and then afterwards, a HUGE bowl of porridge with milk, sweeteners, and raspberries.

The problem with eating lots of carbs is that my body can't at the moment metabolise carbs and sugar properly, as I have insulin resistance (caused by a prescribed medication fifteen months ago). This means that eating more is not so simple for me as the carbs get turned into fat - literally. Although I am pretty fit, I guess, my body is now 34 per cent fat! All because of the insulin resistance!

Maybe I should start a new thread to ask what Type II Diabetics eat after running, as they have the same kind of problem (insulin resistance is a form of prediabetes).
  • Options
    Your pre-run food isn't very much at all - I couldn't run very far on that. I think you need to eat the huge bowl of porridge BEFORE you run and then have something just as substantial afterwards. Obviously that depends on whether your body can handle the carbs. As for getting warm, I have the same problem too - I just get under the duvet with a hot chocolate!
  • Options

Interesting thread as I too am very cold after running and was wondering why. I am a biggish build short bloke and ran 13.5 miles this morning, I had 3 poached eggs on wholemeal toast for breakfast and then ran and ate fish rice and veggies after........absolutely freezing now 4 hrs after the run!!!

Thought i'd share thatimage

• Options
    9 1/2 yr old thread. Must be a record.
  • Options
    Sorry to jump on an old thread, I had this problem (feeling freezing for hours after a run) a few months into starting training again. I couldn't work out what was wrong with me. I was also so tired I could sleep for hours. I worked I was suffering low iron levels. After a week of supplements I was back to normal. Consult your doctor etc...