1500m training

Comments

• was doing my session at Battersea Park after work last night and Kelly Holmes was doing some 1000m reps looking fit and well!!

i did 3*1600 with 1 min 30 in 4.55,4.57,5.01, was meant to do 4 but my legs were shot after the third
  • i done 800m today in hellish conditons-it was p*****g down and i got 2:18 and i managed sprint finish and i reckon i cud av got 2:14 on a better day and if i had the expierence, not bad for first club track race.I reckon i cud get down to 2:12 at least before end of season. So it was new pb by 10secs. Overall very pleased with race. First lap seemed like a warm up and i reckon i would be better off at 1500m though.
  • Chris, it is your first race and at the beginning of last year when i was your age i done 2 16 first race because i just ran terrible but managed to get it down to 2 05, so keep posotive, the way you say your training is going sounds brilliant and going by the times you do in training i would be lookin at about 2 04ish
    Well done for today
  • cheers rb2, that really does give me another good confidence boost if you improved that much by the end of the year.
  • Last week's training (a bit late):

Mon - 16x200 (200 jog) all 31.x/32.x with last in 30 - jogged recoveries quite quickly
    Tue - 45min steady
    Wed - 200,220,240etc to 300 (jog rest of lap) not all timed but 200 in 30.0 and 300 in 50.7 - hard
    Thur - 50 min steady
    Fri - steady run inc 6x2 min with 30 sec recovery
    Sat - 30mins easy
    Sun - 3000m (see below)
  • L'pool Harriers Open meet 3000m

Had similar conditions to those Chris was reporting - wind,rain and bitter cold. We started and I followed the lad who dashed into the lead and as we came to the end of the first lap it was already obvious that he couldn't maintain the pace, so I took over the lead as we went through in 72 secs. The lad almost immediately went backwards through the field and I was left to frontrun the rest of the race. I was only knocking out 75s but it was impossible to go quicker in the conditions and the race was already becoming a procession. 1k split was in 3:04, then a slow lap in the middle of the 2nd k as I let my concentration slip meant that I went through 2k in 6:15. Got back on 75s for the last few laps and something resembling a kick brought me home in 9:19.7. Speaking to the others in the race afterwards and finding out how much the wind slowed them down, I got the impression it was a decent run, but would have liked a harder race or the opportunity to run a better time.

Chris, I'd be optimistic about how much you can improve in decent conditions as I ran 6x800 tonight in all 2:18 except 4 + 5 which were in 2:19/2:20 so I know I'm in decent shape. If your weather was anything like as bad as in Liverpool yesterday then it does put the time in context.
  • Last weeks training also a bit late.A relativley easy week for me.
    Monday:Pyramid of(50m,100m,150m,200m,250m,200m,150m,100m,50m)x2
    Tuesday:60minutes hilly
    Wednesday:3x1k in 3mins
    Thursday:40mins easy
    Friday:Rest
    Saturday:20mins easy + 6x100m
    Sunday:800m race in 2:18-could have got down to at least 2:15 if i had expierence.
  • good luck to all those doing the national 12 stage this weekend. very jealous should be a great event.

my training this week

Mon- 4 * 500/200 (minute between each)in 79,31,80,31,82,31,85,31
    Tues- 30 minutes easy
    Wed- 4 * 1600 (90 secs between each) in 5.00,5.00,4.58,4.58
    Thurs- 30 minutes easy
    Fri- rest
    Sat- will be an 80 minute long run in Richmond Park, hopefully weather will stay nice
    Sun- 40 minutes

was very happy with my session on Weds. have a 5k race next Friday and looking to crack 15.45

Have a good weekend all
  • My week:

Mon: am-30mins easy pm-6x800 (2-2 1/2min) (2:18, 2:18, 2:18, 2:19, 2:20, 2:18)
    Tue: 45mins steady
    Wed: 4 x Oregon circuit
    Thu: 40mins steady
    Fri: 30 mins easy inc strides
    Sat: Nat 12 stage - 28:26 long leg
    Sun: Rest

BUSA next week is the target, so going to do a taper this week ready for a revision of my 5k pb next wk.
  • My week:

Monday:8x200m in 29s
    Tuesday:35mins tempo
    Wednesday:4x600m in 1:50,1:53,1:54,1:54 + 2mile trail/road run
    Thursday:40mins fartlek
    Friday:20x200m in 31 or under-Killer Session
    Saturday:4x800m in 2:40s or under
    Sunday:7mile hard run

Hard week but felt that i handled it well.2 races next week for me one for the school, hopefully 800m and 1500m.the other for the club in the 1500m
  • good running at the 12 stage HC. Looking good for the BUSAs. Anyone else race this weekend?
  • last week:
    Mon: 20 mins
    Tues: 4 * 600m + 4 * 200m (1.40, 1.41, 1.41, 1.42 + 29s)
    Wed: 35 mins
    Thurs: 10 * 150m
    Fri: rest
    Sat: 50 mins with surges up hills
    Sun: 40 mins decent pace
  • I ran in the national 12-stage, woke up on friday with a cold (i think?) & still had to run a long leg :(
    I was 9th leg same leg as Mo Farah he messed my head up going past me so quick (made me feel like I was as slow as on a long training run but I was tired & couldn't speed up)

Track starts next week with 3k chase.
  • quiet on here lately. any racing updates anyone? How did the BUSAs go HC/steeplechase go Future?

my week

Monday- half hour fast
    Tuesday- 8*300 with a minute (44/47/46/46/48/47/48/48)
    Weds- rest
    Thurs- 30 mins
    Friday- 3rd in Hyde Park 5k in 15.52
    Sat- 25 mins recovery
    Sun- 1 hour long hard run

Pretty happy with the session and the race. slower than I was last month but it was warm and not as much competition as before.

Backing off the mileage this week and concentrating on speedwork. 5k race on Thursday then an 800/1500 double at our first league match on Saturday

• BUSA champs in brief:
    5000m heat 3(sat): 3rd, 15:08.7 - Qualified to final
    final (mon): 13th, 15:40

Busy with exams at the moment, will post in more detail when possible.
  • Last week

Mon: 8x150 (walk back) then fast 400 to finish session (61.1)
    Tue : 30-35 mins steady
    Wed : 6x200 (walk back), all 31/32, followed by a few 60m strides
    Thu: 30 mins steady
    Fri: 30 mins steady
    Sat: British Universities Champs 5 000m heat 3 - got a surprise when I found out qualification was 4 from each heat plus 3 fastest losers, so only 15 in final, compared to 19 by looks of last years results on internet. Having seen first 2 heats, I didn't know exact times of fastest losers but looked like 15 and a few seconds was needed for final (In the end a guy with 15:07.xx from heat 2 didn't make final) We went through 1k in 3:02 with me just off the shoulder of the leader and I stayed with the lead group through 2k in about 6:07. Through the 3k, someone shouted that we were a group of 4 clear but someone must have fought back to us as we were soon 5. We went through 3k in 9:09 with two guys in front, then Andy Baddeley and myself just behind, and another guy just behind us. From here, the pace was picked up for a long, hard run for home - not sure of 4k split but last 2k in sub 6. As we reached the last k I realised from the shouts at the side that we were dropping the Cambridge guy who had led early, but I didn't look to see the gap our lead group of 4 had on him. With about 300 to go, Baddeley looked round and checked the gap, then eased down to save energy - I kept following the first two, as I knew that if the Cambridge guy closed in the last 300 then Baddeley was quicker in a sprint finish than me(a lot!) and crossed the line in third in 15:08.7 (pb by 18 secs) with Andy Baddeley just behind (a very rare occurrence!)
  • Continued:
    Sunday: 30mins steady
    Monday: Final - went in as slowest of 15 on basis of Pbs and was hoping the quality of the race might drag me round to a second Pb of the weekend. Colder and breezier than perfect conditions of Saturday, the race wnet through 1k in 2:50 with me about 10th/11th going through in 2:55. The 2nd km saw my efforts of Saturday start to catch up with me though as I became detached and passed 2km in 6:00. From then on I slowed down hopelessly to a 15:40 finish with Baddeley, Fraser Thompson and Nick Talbot lapping me (first time I've ever been lapped in a race!) - what a difference to Saturday!

Disappointed with effort in the final, but amazing to be part of such a high quality race, and to have earned it with a good performance in my heat. Sub-15 better happen this season now!
  • 3k Chase ws in the middle of 2 5Ks one Saturday & one Monday. Ran 9:46/7 without any barrier practise into the race so thats ok. British League this weekend, see if I can drop 20 seconds?

well done HC 15:08 shame 2nd run was slower though.

I wasn't far off getting lapped @ last years u20 AAAs don't know what happened (I think alot of it is mental, when you drop from the group)

Which Uni r u @?
  • great running HC. sub 15 a gimme now. just need to find the right race
  • AAA'a mate, always a good quality race
  • York University, where, Dan, your clubmate, who had a blinder in the final to follow on from his 12 stage performance, is a PhD student.

I agree about dropping from the group being mental sometimes, but usually when I lose concentration or heart because I drop from the group, my lapping becomes inconsistent and a slow lap shocks me back into concentrating and trying to dig in. Yesterday, I found I tried to concentrate on continuing to run well, and the effort felt like a normal 5k but the laps just refused to get quicker. I think I had genuinely physically failed to recover. I guess I can only try and think about my routine after the heat and see if there's anything I can do better.
  • what track races everyone doing this weekend? i've got a 1500 in Southern League div 2 at Exeter. just hoping our manager doesn't need me for 5k instead
  • Im doing either the 800m or 1500m in the welsh senior league division 1,Gulp!!!.you have to be in the U17men category or older so i will more than likley be last as im in the younger end of the U17 category but i will be going for time
  • Just done the 1500m in the welsh senior league division 1, so always knew it was gonna be a fast race. I started the race with a target of 4:45 after last weeks dissapointing race andtarget intervals of
    300m:0:57
    700m:2:13
    1100m:3:29
    1500m:4:45 so 76second laps
    I came through 300m in 54secs so i was well on target and felt good, then i came through 700m in 2:14 so i let the pace slip a bit, then i came through in 3:36 so i was well off the pace but then done a 71second last lap so i finished in 4:47 and felt very confident and defintley had a sub 4:40 in me but this year is all about experience for me and pacing it right.Overall generally pleased as i know i can get a 4:35 or less this if i get the pacing right. Just didnt keep the pace on the 2nd and 3rd lap and i could have.Ohh and i finshed last but 2 but it was about time. i think my season target is a bit too optmistic though so im going for 4:34.How did you get on Paul?
  • I had a good day! i was in the 800B race first and the standard was poor but I sat on this guy's shoulder anyway for the first 500 because it was my first 800 ever so I didn't really know how to run it! we went through in 64 and I went past him at 300 to go and finished in 2.06.2. my first ever track win!

the 1500 was an hour later and this time they ran the A and B race together so a field of 10. my team mate took it out in 66/68 and I just sat back a bit as I knew he wouldn't hold on to that. I went through 800 in a really slow 2.19, took the lead at the bell and ran home to another win in 4.13.8

so times were slow today but it was very windy and the competition wasn't great so I reckon there's a lot more to come

i'm doing the 1500 at the county champs next week so if it's a good race and condiions are good I'd like to try and get under my 4.10 PB
  • Hi all

Firstly, well done on all your racing performances.

I'm looking for a bit of advise on getting my mile time down.
    My main focus for the next couple of months is the 5k, but I'm also taking part in a 4x1600 relay next month.
    My question is, if you were to do one session a week to improve your mile speed, what would it be?

Thank you
  • Hi MB99

What sort of running sessions/mileage are you doing during the rest of the week and what sort of time are you hoping to do?
  • Hi Paul

My plan at the moment is to do about 20-25 miles a week (more if I can find time to train twice a day), including a long run, a fast 20 minute run and a session of 5x3mins.
    I managed 5:10 in a road mile last year, so would like to go under 5mins on the track.
  • Hi MB99, I wouldn't worry about doing two runs a day on that sort of mileage. The other ideas sound fine.

I would say at this stage you need to be getting used to running 75 second 400m laps (you'll need four of them back to back to go sub 5) so the one session to do each week would be to do say 6*400 with 1 minute recovery, aiming to go sub 75 in all of them. if that comes 'easily' add a couple of reps or reduce the recovery to 45 seconds. if it's too 'hard' then you may need to reset your target time

make sure you leave at least a day of recovery/rest between your long run, track session and 5*3 mins session and on the other days don't push it too hard

hope this helps but don't just listen to me as I'm a pretty inexperienced runner!
  • after my first attempts at 'coaching', here is my week

Mon: 20 mins including fast bursts
    Tue: 8*300 with 1 minute (47/48/47/47/47/48/47/47)
    Wed: 15 mins fast
    Thur: 1st in a 5k race in 16.03
    Fri: 20 mins easy
    Sat: 800/1500 race
    Sun: 40 mins steady