motivation

i've been a beginner for the past 6 years or so (is this actually possible) purely because i have no motivation. And when i do go out i get all cocky and push myself too hard too soon, purely because i've been "running" for six years and know what i'm doing (well thats what my ego says anyway)

this post is for everyone in the same boat. i'm going to go for a run tomorrow and post my results on here, any words of encouragent will be welcome even if its just silly stuff.

lets get over this huge hurdle together

Comments

• why are you running?
    what do you want to achieve?
    are you entering races?
    are you recordig times?

in my (limited) experience, I needed to enter races to help keep me motivated. I needed to record stuff so that I could see I was making progress.

I needed to race (against myself) to know that I was achieving something.

I chopped and changed events to keep up my interest and to offer myself new challenges.
  • Hi enjoy your run, just aim for a short run and build up, i have only been running on & off for a year so not really a wise one. I only get out a couple of times a week but if i get tired after an hour i head for home. I will look 2moro to see how you did, i just did 5ml today, in for LFM but training is not enough. Bye for now.
  • fastest fat man,

i'm running because i love the buzz it gives me.

i want to achieve fitness without injuring myself

i did enter a race and forgot to train so wont be participating

yes i do record times and distances, but i'm not strict about it

scoops, an hour you must be mad, saying that though i was doing 45 mins last summer covering about 4.5 miles

• well, the race thing was what helped me change from running being a fad a did for two weeks a year. every year.

also, I told everyone I knew that I was doing it, to stop me backing out.

give it another thought D2.....
  • don't think i'll manage the 10k on the 27th of march fastestfat man, but i'll certainly make an effort and decide on the day
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    Ducky - if you can't motivate yourself by training up for a race, how about just setting yourself some own-goals.

Like, I will improve on my time on this set route that I do. Time yourself tomorrow and then in a months time, after 4 weeks training, time yourself again.

If you've improved, then give yourself a huge pat on the bag and go out and celebrate (maybe a night out at the cinema or a dive in the duck pond or something :o)
  • cheers for the advice voodoo smiles, i try that ocaisionally because my fitness does come up quite quick because i spend a lot of time walking at work, so i generally do see improvement, its the next goal i always struggle with always seem to set it too high or something.

i don't think i'll be jumping in the duckpond, have you seen the weather out there? i'll freeze my feathers off :-)
  • ok we're watching, you sound like you are faster than me but maybe we could see whose pace over our different courses improves most in 1 month. i ran today and u r running tomorrow so that would be most improvement by april 1st. does that sound like motivation?
  • rarog20 you have a deal only doing mile and a half tomorrow will let you know results
  • fantastic, it'll be good motivation for me tooas i'm a bit of a lazy lump!!
  • oh ah was dismal 9.18min/km today, darent put that in miles but i can do if u want! i know its really slow though! :)
  • not as lazy as me rarog20 tomorrow will be my third run of the year but with yours and everyone eles help i'll be fine. good luck with your run on wednesday.
  • races are the way forward ducky
  • plodding hippo, no they aint i'm entered in one on the 27th of march (10k) and it didn't motivate me at all, i thought it would but it didn't.
  • ok
    do you run with other people?
  • no none of my friends run plodding hippo and i've tried the club thing and it really didn't agree with me, so i'm on my own
  • ok

very simply then

doyou REALLY want to run???????
    why?????
    lots of other sports to do

i run alone, alwyas but the races and social stuff and 100 marathons, well, that gets me out the door

dont do if you dont want pet
    life is too short
  • yes i do really want to run i love the feeling it gives me, unfortunately i'm injury prone so end up not able to run so have to stop and find it hard to get back into it again because of fear of injury
  • one other tip before i go to bed
    have a look at the base training thread

you are probably running too quickly
    love hippo
  • right, went for a run this morning so i'm off to a good start.

1.5 miles in 14.46:50 with a 7.36 halfway split. not fast but better than i thought i would do on 3rd run of year.

pace felt too fast when i first set of but really awkward when i tried to slow it down.

right knee had a bit of a grumble part way round but eased off, back felt ok although felt a twinge when i was stretching after the run. didn't take too long to recover, but chest is feeling a bit phlemy now
  • well done you! told u you were faster than me. getting you heart rate up for 20mins is sort of the min threshhold for making good progress i think (wot do i know?!. will u try a bit further next time even if u have to slow down a bit its still really good. i wish i could go as fast.
    at least we have our starter values now.
  • thanks for the support rarog20. yeah going to go a bit further tommorow not too far though. will be a hard run though as i'm going after work and spend all day walking (minimum of 6 miles a day), will post the results. hope your run goes well.
  • hi ducky2,
    your off and running i see well done. Have you tried running with music? I run on my tod if i have my music i just plod to the beat, i look a right walley as i sing as i run and swing my arms!! so if you see a loon like that its me! Have fun.

• yeah scoops i do if its a longer run, but i need to change the tunes on my mp3 player, sick of cher and outcast now lol! find it hard sometimes though cos like you i have to sing along with the music which kills me!
  • Aaaarrrrhhh!!!! I have bombed this last couple of weeks - was doing really well, then with the weather/working away for a couple of days/other commitments, I haven't been out plodding for about 2 and half weeks :o

Actually thats a fib - I DID go out on Saturday last weekend, but I just couldn't run. I felt lethargic and unmotivated.

Does any one else hit this motivation peaks and troughs, because I was doing really really well up until a fortnight ago.
  • Incidently I am just about to buy an mp3 player because I am hoping it will help me run further!
  • kazmataz the simple answer is yes we do have peaks and troughs thats why i set up this post, so we can all help each other.

i went for another run tonight, almost talked myself out of it, after spending all day walking in the snow. legs felt like lead. only did 2 miles but thats half a mile further than i usually do (and boy could i tell), managed it in 22.56:72, so i have managed to slow my pace down, which i a good thing. will run that distance for a while now before doing a bit more.

keep plodding everyone!!!
  • ooooooh hoose that was mean. (burries her head in her feathers and sulks)

only joking hun

nice to have a bit of humour on here