Wednesday 9th March

Not much training going on. Really killed my Piriformis on Monday and was in pure pain the whole day, couldn't even walk properly. Visit to jacuzi, steam room and sauna brought some improvement. Not looking foward to the next physio session today, torture ... I am now 100% in the clear that there is no way I can do FLM, this will take at least another 2 weeks of treatment. Make me think I had a lot of luck during the last three years.

Comments

• Morning,

Yesterday's lyrics, River of Dreams by Billy Joel.

Yesterdays session was 12 x 450meters all knocked off in 78 to 82 secs per rep.

Today is an easy day.

What: 5.5m am easy, 10m pm at 70%MHR
    Why: easy marathon milage

Last hard: Last night
    Last rest: 17 days

Have a goodly day
  • Morning all

Not visited recently but as training seems to finally be clicking back into place I though it was good time to start posting again!

What: 10 miles steady
    Why: Club night
    Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: 2 days

Managed to string 3 30+ mile weeks together now and should hit 40 miles this week for the first time in 4 months. No serious races planned until April but I'm hoping to be close to 100% by then :o)

Hilly- I checked the March Hare results last night and noticed you got mentioned in the report- another great effort!!!

Have a good day......

• URR

I am really sorry to hear you have had to defer your FLM hopes for this year a tough decison to make.....I feel for you!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Tom

I forgot to say in above post have you heard about Martin? He has had to retire from running:-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

What: rest after yesterday's 18 miles
    Why: have a half on sunday and need some energy for it!
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: today

URR -sorry you're having to defer for FLM.

WP - is your injury on the mend?
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    WP, Bl**dy Hell!! I recall you saying that had a knee problem and that he was waiting for a scan, but I didn't realise that it was that serious.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Thanks ne and good to see you posting again!

WP, I read about Martin Reese retiring in RF this month, such a shame!

Best wishes URR! Luck is a lot of the equation when it comes to injury in running! I've had some really nasty lower legs ones in the last few years.

How is your knee WP?

what:15 miles easy if I can protect the area I got a blood blister too on Sunday
    why:marathon miles
    last hard:last night's 400s
    last rest:5 days

Have a good day all!
  • Morning,

URR, from experience, you will feel relieved now you've made the decision to defer. Give yourself time to recover properly now.

What:5 miles steady, done. Almost light enough to go off road this morning! Club run pm

Why:Soreness in left leg more or less gone so decided to test it over a short distance. Some tightness on the downhills but otherwise ok

Last hard:Sunday

Last rest:Yesterday

Enjoy the day

• Bad luck URR, but good decision. Think I said before, I continued rowing on a shoulder injury for 3 months, and ended up sitting on the bank for 18. So good to take the time out. Think how fast you will be next year!

As for me, no more disgusting posts (tho will try to learn to spit, Debbo!!)

What: 7 miles slow
    Why: schedule says 6, but want a little bit more
    Last hard: 9 days
    Last rest: Mon

Happy running all.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Now then

URR - bad luck. Always a difficult decision to make, but there are other marathons and other years to do FLM. Not much consolation at the moment, but you'll come back stronger for having proper treatment.

What: 11x 9 flights of stairs a.m., 2km swim pm
    Why: rehab
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday

Good training and speedy recoveries to all.
  • What: 4 x 1000m swim tonight
    Why: tri training and getting ready for the swimathon

Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: saturday

sorry to hear you had to defer URR - hope it clears up quickly anyway

train well everyone
  • URR tough luck mate. Lets hope you come back stronger and fitter.

Feel a bit run down this morning. Bit of a head ache and sore throat. Had tough interval session last night on treadmill with 4 sets of 8min * 12.5k efforts with 9k recoveries which felt good though and no ankle problems. Last effort did last 4mins at 13k. Plan is for club night tonight. Will drink loads of water today and see how i feel later.

So if all goes to plan

what : 6-7 miles easy
    why : club night
    last hard : tues
    last rest : mon
  • Morning

URR - So sorry for you, put those legs up and rest. Give the body time to repair, now that you have made the decision not to do FLM.

WP - Hows the knee doing, has a few days rest done it any good?

What: should be club run but on call for work, need to get 8 miles in some how though
    Why: FLM schedule says so
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Lasat rest: Monday

My knee is still niggling when I run, but found last night walking round house bare foot made the pain disappear and this morning when I got in to my work shoes that pain returned. Think the shoes / trainers must be play around with the way the foot/leg/knee want to work.
  • Morning

URR - Gutted for you mate - but it will make the hunger for next time even more greater, hope the physio goes well.

M - thats some swim distance, good luck in thw swimathon.

What: 5 miles d&d with core board and ab work

Why: Try to get some consistant running going again while improving body strength.

Last Hard: Sunday

Last Rest: Monday

Enjoy
  • Morning All,

Bad luck URR.

Was going to do a double today (4m at lunch and 4m tonight) but my left leg is very tight all the way down the back of it (I've been trying to ignore it for a couple of days) so I have decided to get to the gym at lunchtime and do some back and strengthening work. Rather drop todays run so that I feel up to doing the 16m I am planning tomorrow.

What: As above
    Why: As above
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Morning,

URR-Bad luck, but being sensible.

What: 15mins wake up run am, 20 mins hard run tonight.
    Why: Out for Mum's B'day tonight so fitting in what I can.
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Saturday

Having a biomechanical assessment today. Feet are in bits and haven't been comfortable running this year yet. Results should be interesting.
  • Morning

What: 7 slow miles
    Why: Schedule

Last Hard: yesterday
    Last Rest: 4 days

URR - sound like a rollercoaster ride. I remember thinking to myself not too long ago that you were the man in form. You seem to have had nothing but lousy luck since the St. Albans 10M. If you believe in cycles you've got to be on the ascent now or very, very, soon...merely a mild set-back!

Have a good day all...

----
  • Not been around for a few days, had a quick skim read of the threads to catch up and I understand that a huge "congratulations" is due to Mr and Mrs BR!

URR - I'm so sorry to hear that, I know how it feels, but having run FLM on an injury, I know that it just isn't worth the effort, and the gait changes that result just make you slower in the long term. Far better to do as you have done: withdraw, get completely better, reset your goals and start training again, wiser and motivated and not scared of injury.

What: swimming and an easy run
    Why: for various reasons, taking things very easy this week
    Last hard: Saturday

No time to post a race report, but despite the fact that I have hardly trained this year due to injury, I was second in my 'uphill only' race on Saturday which means that I won the town's winter race league (well, I tied for first place). Me and fellow winner tossed a coin to decide who should take the medal, and I now have a lovely shiny gold medal :-)))))))))
  • Morning all,

URR - tough. From what I know about these things (not much!), right decision, though.

In the words of Spike Milligan "I told you I was ill". Ran yesterday as I thought my cold had gone. By 3:30, had to leave work as I felt pretty rough. More to the point, I couldn't concentrate and was on a different planet to everyone else in the office.

Still, feeling tons better this morning. Even contemplating a short run this evening, but discretion might be the better part of valour.
  • Oh, and if anyone wants to see pain and suffering, here are pics of what an uphill only race looks like!

http://www.the-saga.net/images/uploads/Mar05/pages/03-05-2005-A007.html

(it's a slideshow, so just press the 'forward' arrow to view the next pic) 'tis easy to spot which one is me - and yes, I do feel the cold!

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    URR: Really feel sorry for you, but you've made the right choice. A phrase that often applies to me: Only fools rush in.

LizzyB: Awesome!! Which one is you? The pictures of the Northern Lights are excellent. I've always wanted to experience their magic at first hand.
  • URR - sorry to hear the news. hope you have a swift and thorough recovery.

did a very small amount of speed work that was called for by my new schedule. probably not very useful given i've only been running for two months. but figured it would be interesting.

what: 3 miles with a bit of speed work - strides they're called in the glover book. 4 x 100m sprint with 100m recovery.

why: endurance base + speed

last hard: sunday
    last rest: monday

quite enjoyed the novelty of sprinting. although it was very hard after warming up for 1.5 miles.

have a good day.
  • Hello All,

what: 11.7 miles easy
    why:mdeium long run
    last hard: yesterday ish
    last rest: 19th Feb

URR - That must have been a difficult realisation. Sorry to hear you're in pain again. I hope the physio helps even if it is agony. Perhaps you can sing for a rock and roll band :)

ne - good news, nice to see you back.

LizzyB - congratulations! Nice pics, though (and I feel an unintentional insult coming on) it wasn't completely obvious which one was you! Are you 'all black and glasses' or 'shades and green gloves'?
  • URR - unlucky, sounds like you have made the right decision.

Lizzy - that looks like an awesome race. Although no downhill pay-back must play tricks on the mind.

what: 45 mins easy, 90mins at maxHR tonight
    why: time,
    last hard: sunday
    last rest: saturday

Off to Highbury for the ECL tonight, its make or break time.

• Lizzy B- great pics! Love the pics of the Northern Lights at the end of the slide show :o)

Thanks for the wb's Mellifera and Hilly!

unlucky URR- hope it's not too long before you're back on the right track.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Lizzy, great pics! Are you no. 793? (Blue top, black tights, sunglasses and lime green gloves).

What: 8 miles steady.
    Why: 5.4 miles tempo pace last night. Although my schedule is now reaching its peak over the next 2-3 weeks, I can feel the beginnings of some speed coming back into my legs. It's a good feeling!
    Last hard: Last night - should have started a little slower as lungs were burning by 2 miles ... eased back a little then picked it up again when I'd got my breath back a bit (first two and a half miles are uphill, which doesn't help!)
    Last rest: Monday.

Stomach now fully recovered from unfortunate McDonalds episode ... will not be eating a burger pre-run again. Ever.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    LizzyB - nice pics and a lot of pain evident on faces. Do you have a downhill only race as well?

Back from my stair hamster session. First time I have done it without minor discomfort in hamstring. Am going to try a gentle trot on Saturday and hope to get back to running next week :)). These stairs are great training though. May try and incorporate them into my usual routine.
  • Morning.

What: 6/7m steady
    Why: Recover form yestaday's speed
    Last hard: yestaday
    Last rest: Sunday

Train well
  • URR - I think you are very wise.

WP - hope you are on the mend - do keep posting even if you are mainly resting the injury.

I managed a 30 minute shuffle on the treadmill once my injured back had thawed out a bit yesterday - I know from experience with this that it is better to keep moving if possible.

This morning I was a sorry sight - nearly had to get MrLW to put my socks on for me. Once I had managed to bend down, there was a major problem with straightening up again - and had to "walk" my hands up my legs to manage it. Serves me right for neglecting proper lifting technique.
  • Thanks - me - green gloves, frowning. And there is no downhill!