Options

Tuesday 10th Session

Morning all

What : Nothing
Why : Cant face it at the mo

Will

Comments

• Options
    Think I'll let you have this one mate. :)

What: 3 or 4 miles steady.
    Why: Recovering from injury.

Last hard: The weekend!
    Last rest: Yesterday.
  • Options
    Morning peeps, bit of a biting wind today.

What: 10 mile club run at nearly 10 mile race pace
    Why: because they do me good
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: Sunday
  • Options
    Effing cold this morning.

What: 10 miler to the office ... into wind ... face is one big chill blain
    Why: Thought it would be a good idea last night and left the car at work ...
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard : Sunday

Hope everyone else has a good one !
  • Options
    Morning all,

Mr C, that's some start to the day! Well done Fat face too, I'll struggle to keep up with you in Helby at this rate.

What: 4/5 miles recovery.
    Why: Club session last night.
    Last hard: Mon
    Last rest: Sat

Will, take care.
  • Options
    Laura, thats what I am "supposed" to be doing ;)
    Having seen your report and time from the Glaxo 10k, I doubt you'll struggle to keep up. That was a mighty impressive improvement for a 10K. Nice one.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Freeeeeeeezing.

What : hopefully some intervals or hill reps
    Why : Usual Tuesday session
    Rest : Friday
    Hard : Sunday

• Options
    What: 10 mile fartlek with club
    Why: It's Tuesday again.
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: Yesterday (although some maniac at the gym had turned up the sauna to max, it was 105 celsius!!!! So it was hard work just breathing in that stupidly hot wooden box).

• Options
    Didn't train yesterday - started to feel really ill as the day progressed so had a night on the couch.

What: probably nothing depends how I feel later
    Why: coz I've got the bloody flu

Too depressed to say anymore
  • Options
    What: 6 Mile at 10 Minute Mile Pace
    Why: Marathon Schedule Says So!

Will probably do it on the treadmill as I am a wimp and don't like this cold weather
  • Options
    What: 8 Mile Endurance Fartlek, avg 6:40 pace, bursts ranging from 400m to 2 miles.
    Why: Bit more interesting than '8 miles Easy', also gets my turnover up & ready for tommorow nights track sesh...
    Last Hard run: Sunday.
    Last Rest day: Yesterday technically, although I still did 1/2 hour on the bike for me aching knees!

Cheers all,
    PS Drew, did you get my post on Saturdays training thread mate?
  • Options
    Morning campers.

What: 5 x 6mins with 2 min rest.

Why: Tuesday night speed session to which I am not looking forward to as it was our company doo last night.

Last hard: Sunday; XC race
    Last rest: Monday
  • Options
    What: probably rest
    Why: still low impact on the knee and its club night
    last rest: sat
    last hard: yesterday

Put my knee through a fairly tough interval style session on the elliptical machine at gym last night 8x3min hard/2min recovery. Work rate swung by 75% and WHR raised by 20%pts/interval before recovery finishing at 93%WHR. Probably only helps muscles used on hills but at least it felt hard work. About the best way i could increase force through the knee without impact. No real reaction put still not convinced 100% so will stay off running for another few days.

• Options
    What:4-5miles starting slow and hopefully speeding up if I can
    Why: because it's tuesday
    Last hard run:????
    Last Rest day:yesterday

Going to try and up the training levels to add in a few longer runs at weekends.
  • Options
    Morning all. Just getting light here. Weird weather - last night the temperature rose from -2 to +8 in a couple of hours. It's about +6 at the moment, still and clear.
    What - 6-7 miles with efforts
    Why - training programme says so
    Last hard run - Last week
    Last rest - Saturday
  • Options
    Hello chums.

What: Hmmm.... join club, perhaps, if brave. Then let them grind me into the dirt with some insane session.
    Why: I'll get back to you on that one. Maybe I'd just like a club vest...
    Rest: Yesterday.
    Hard: Sunday's race.

Cold, innit? The comforting whirr of the treadmill beckons..... :-)
  • Options
    Decided I was going to b. well do something worthy of sticking on the training thread or bust.

What: Walk dog (yes, on sticks) and 750m swim, (cause it's an Everything Counts Double Day). First 250 felt good.

Dog goes back to her owners tonight. Sigh.
  • Options
    Wild Will - it's your suggestions that got my swimming going again. I think of you every time I get past 10 laps in good shape.

Go for a run for me, please? Cause I can't, please? It's got to get better if your keep going.

Lanny, hopes your feeling better.
  • Options
    what: quality session with the Wirral runners
    why: as scheduled. Not that I'm looking forward to it in this weather

last hard day: Fri
    last long day: Sun
    last rest day: Mon

need more of the latter....
  • Options
    Afternoon dudes and dudettes!

Tuesday is now speedwork day, so today was either a very fast 5km or 10k bursts of effort.

What: 1km warm up followed by:
    100m fast 2 mins recovery
    200m fast 2 mins recovery
    300m fast 2 mins recovery
    400m fast 2 mins recovery
    500m fast 2 mins recovery
    600m fast 2 mins recovery
    500m fast 2 mins recovery
    400m fast 2 mins recovery
    300m fast 2 mins recovery
    200m sprint 2 mins recovery
    100m sprint 2 mins recovery
    1km warm down.

Why: wanted some fun, and spray the others next to me on the treadmill with my sweat.

Last Hard:Today

Last Rest: Saturday

c u 2 morrow
  • Options
    hi chaps -

me, I'm cold and shattered after a killer lunchtime with Frank.

what: another Horwill Variable Pace 10K -
    alternating 400m @ 5K pace and 400m @ marathon pace up to 10K total - alright, so I took a 90 second jog recovery about 2/3 of the way through, but at least that's better than last time - total time for the 10K was 37:35.

why: it's a horrible session but I figure it's got to be worth the pain - it had better be! what is it about this work-out that makes it so much harder than it looks on paper? or am I just a wimp?

last rest: yesterday
    last hard day: Sunday

may all your days be happy and bright and may all your injuries come right.
  • Options
    what: gym day, rowing and running, some weights at the end.
    why: I am having an easy week this week, and a cold might be starting.

last hard: Saturday
    last rest: Monday
  • Options
    Achilles,
    you're not a wimp! Getting through the 10K in 37:35 with only a 90 sec break is flying. The last time I did this one I took a 5 minute break after 18 laps and still only just got under 38 mins (37:57) for the 10K.

IMHO it is one of the hardest sessions around but I have no doubt that it works wonders!?!?!?

For sure Frank is reading this thread and crying with laughter everytime we (you, me Drew + anyone else daft enough to get drawn into this madness) report our experiences with his sessions ;-)
  • Options
    MM - it's gotta be a wind-up, hasn't it? Frank never thought there'd be nutters out there crazy enough to take him seriously. :-)
  • Options
    Achilles, you're right - it doesn't look that bad on paper! But I've read enough about yours, MM's and Drew's training to feel sure you're not exaggerating. Courage to the brave.

It's now 8 o' clock, and strangely enough no more enticing for a run than it was earlier plus it's dark, but I've got to go now I've posted back on here, or I'll be the forum wimp of the day.

Have read up on the internet and decided the cold air brought on mild exercise induced asthma at the club session last night, that's my excuse for wheezing away at the back of the pack anyway and I'm sticking to it! So will try adding to my already fashionable evening running ensemble by wrapping headband around my mouth, apparently it helps moisturise the air you breathe?? Good job it's dark eh.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: Nothing. Had a cold since Sunday which probably explains the slowness of the 20 miler on Saturday. See how I feel tomorrow.

Achilles, I'm sure the 10k pace session will pay dividends if we consistently do it!

KK, read your post on Sunday. Good to see you're still doing the weights. I've cut mine back a little bit, doing 2 sessions per week, when I've got time. Tend to use the stripping routine for upper body and normal reps for legs. Session takes about 60 minutes maximum. You'll just have to make sure that you don't bulk up too much.
  • Options
    Drew - this is also the start of my second fortnight of following the Horwill marathon plan religiously and maybe it's psychological but I think I'm already feeling the benefits. I'm amazed to find that contrary to the popular wisdom it's actually possible to do a hard session every other day without ill effects - so far!? ......
  • Options
    Achilles & Drew- I presume the workouts you guys are doing are based on the Horwill articles on the Serpie website? I havn't been following the training threads, so I hope you dont mind if I ask a few Q's.
    Q1) Whats the goal? To cut back your 10k times?
    Q2) How are your easy runs feeling? Sounds like a dumb question, but I find hen I'm acttually getting somewhere with my speedwork, my 'no effort speed' gets faster & faster!..
    Q3) Are you finding it enjoyable overall, y'know, in a kind of flogging yourself with a sharp stick kinda way...

Drew- Different topic now, but as you might remember, it was too hot in the US when I tried to break 37:00 for 10k, but I thought I'd give it another crack, post this XC season. Since your the HR expert I thought I'd ask, if I can run 4 miles (after 2 miles steady warmup) @ 5:52/mile pace, at approx. 82% Heart rate reserve, does that equal a good 10k time coming up?

Cheers ears
    KK
  • Options
    Hats off to the Horvillers as usual.
    Did 4 miles recovery and it was actually quite atmospheric in the moonlight, fabulous starry night, just wish that owl hadn't hooted just as I ran past the grave yard.
  • Options
    KK - good to see you back on the forum. yes, I'm doing Horwill's Serpie marathon plan (or at least one of them cos there are two slightly different flavours).

Q1 - goal is this little race in April that starts in Blackheath and goes to Buckingham Palace, do you know it?;
    Q2 - Frank's recommendation for recovery pace is a lot quicker than most people's like by about a minute, so no they don't feel that easy just yet, though they are very short (5 miles in 35 mins. approx.);
    Q3 - actually yes, I'm finding it good fun, a) because I find the slow plodding runs recommended by most schedules pretty boring, and b) because it's very challenging to do so many relatively tough work-outs in a week and it's always more fun to stretch the limits of what you can do rather than stick with what you know you can cope with.