Tuesday 11th Session

A bit brassy again this morning.

What: 5 easy
Why: yesterdays 10 hard

Trying to build up to 3 or 4 quality sessions a week by Chrimbo.

Comments

• Oh bugger, I've just translated Psi's title.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning just a quickie before off to work!

What: 10 miles with some sort of speed work for middle miles.
    Why: Cold is nearly gone and I feel the need for speed!
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Since Sunday
  • FF - if you can manage 4 quality sessions a week, good luck to you. Myself, at the moment, I have it all on to recover from doing 2 quality & 1 long per week. Be careful if you start feeling run down!

And so:

what: gentle recovery run - under 4 miles

why: would normally do 5, but scheduling complications this week as I want to run a little race ( Matty's school's Xmas hill climb handicap race) on Saturday. So v gentle outing tonight; shortened tempo run Thu (instead of Fri - but limited time due to Mrs S going out early evening); rest Fri

last rest day: Mon
    last long day: Sun
    last hard day: Tue
  • Hi Mike,

It was another earlier morning typo!!

As well as putting Tuesday in the title instead of Wednesday, I put 3 or 4 instead of 2 or 3. It must have been the cold getting to my brain last night (Cold thread on gear forum).
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Isn't it Wednesday today ?

Did a speed session last night in the freezing cold.
    Today : 2nd coat of paint in the hall/landing/loft to get it finished before family descend on us this/next weekend.
    Bond film with the missus tonight.
    So if I get an hour free (unlikely) I'll do a steady 8 miler.If not I'll have an extra rest day - what the hell - I've trained hard all year!
    Why : see above
    Last rest : Friday
    Last hard : Yesterday

Anyone thawed out yet ?
  • Just about Dustin! Last nights planned speed session didn't really happen only 2 of us turned out and I was still feeling the effects of Mondays Co. Xmas doo, so we did about 6 miles and pushed it in a couple of places. Better than nothing and once I got out it was a nice night to be running.

What: Gym session

Why: Wednesday

Last Hard: Sunday XC race

Last Rest: Monday
  • Morning all - I'm feeling alot better today so I'm might get something done.

What: Cross training in the gym @ lunchtime and I may even attempt a couple of miles tonight (chest infection & cold permitting)
    Why: Always cross train on wed

Last hard: saturday
    Last rest: Yesterday
  • Felt "smug" at club last bight as they set off in the cold and I pleaded re my knee "not ready yet". Still removing barbs.

What: about 1hr non-impact CV in the gym
    why: see above
    last hard day: Mon
    last rest: sat

Will probably try treadmill this sat and if OK then 5mile outside unless advice to the contrary
  • Morning all,

Gorgeous cold and sunny morning here. Scum or not, I'm in need of Helly Hansen long sleeved top, can't wait for Santa, I'm getting it this week!

Well done everybody who's still getting out there in the cold,once you get started it's not too bad is it. sfh legs, did you see a physio in the end?

What: lunchtime: 8 mile @ marathon pace, evening: 5K fun run.
    Why: the former is what I said I'd do weekly, tonight the club flm ballot is being drawn after the fun run, last chance to see if my name comes up.
    Last hard: Mon
    Last rest: sat
  • Laura - is it just me or does your faceIT get darker every time I see it?
  • Careful Mike, your IT police will be putting your name at the top of that list.
  • Morning all (brr)!

What: Nowt
    Why: My first ever club night last night. Great fun, nice people, fitted in fine between the middle group and the slow group. Hooray!
    Hard: Last night. Ish!
    Rest: Monday

Chuck another log on the fire, someone!
  • Swerve

Great to hear the first session at your new club was good, best thing I did was to join a club.
  • morning all -

why has my head gone numb?

what: 10K recovery run
    why: cos I love freezing my n*ts off, why do you think?
    last hard day: yesterday
    last rest: Monday

good luck in the club ballot tonight, Laura. so you're doing 2-a-days now, huh? next thing you'll be a fully-paid up member of the Horwill Harriers, and we know what insanity that leads to. ;-)

• Glad you noticed A, thought I'd just casually slip that in, I know it's what the rest of you do before breakfast. I believe Horvillitis is now proving resistant to modern medicine, so better keep my head down.
  • I was hoping that for Laura and Korsa King that common sense would prevail and therefore anything to do with Frank Horwill would be immediately discounted as insane!! But Laura is obviously already a lost cause (2-a-days are for the seriously demented) and I fear that KK is not far off as he was already clearly aware of F.K. judging by his post yesterday. Abandon all hope, ye who enter the realm of F.K. etc etc.....

What: Gym
    Why: It's Wednesday
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: Monday

Well for a change, common sense did prevail last night and I opted to do a steady 9.25 mile recovery run rather than the usual 10 mile "eyeballs-out" fartlek madness. This definitely turned out to be a smart move because I could really feel Sundays race still in my legs after a few miles eventhough we were just jogging round. All is not lost however, as I'm planning on doing Horwill's half marathon pace run tomorrow, albeit only 7 miles ;-)

My vote for Horwill maniac of the year definitely goes to Achilles, although myself, Drew and others are daft enough to use elements from F.K.'s training schedules, Achilles is the only loon sufficiently divorced from reality to follow the program to the letter. You'll be doing Mihaly Igloi workouts next!!!
  • Snake - yep, should have done it ages ago.

Stupid work Christmas do next week. Bah, humbug!
  • Hi all,
    I have been on half milage for a couple of weeks due to ankle probs, did my first longish run after layoff, 9 mile loop, this morning and knocked 4 mins off my fastest time for that run, did it in 78 mins, very hilly course.
    Not sure if it was the malt loaf I had last nite at bedtime or the jaffa cakes, banana and lucazade sports drink I had for brekkie or maybe just cutting the milage for a couple of weeks.

What: 9 mile
    Why: wed long run day
    Last hard: 2 weeks ago
    Last run: mon 6 mile

Ankle ached a bit for first mile, seems ok now, fingers crossed.

Ta ta, Happy Gaz..........
  • Havn't ventured out yet but it will be the normal 4 mile romp in the dark dodging the frozen puddles
  • What: Rest Day.
    Why: Because I always rest on Wednesdays
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: nothing
    Why: still suffering from cold. Tried to train through something similar last winter and lost nearly 5 weeks of training.

KK, good question regarding HR. Both myself and Laura had readings of nearer 92% WHR during our last 10k's so if you can run at sub 37 minute pace on about 83% then god knows what you are capable off! If it was me then I would expect to do sub 34 minutes.

For those of you confused by MM's reference to Mihaly Igloi check out the following links: (enjoy!)

http://www.billrodgers.com/runningWise/classicCorner/classic_cc_bobSchul.htm

http://www.sullivanstriders.org/interval.htm
  • Hi y'll

Lovely weather here today. Just heading out
    What - 5-8 miles steady
    Why - training programme decrees

Have hangover. Bah.
  • ahhhhhhh me ears are like blocks of ice.

What: 13km run through Crystal Palace Park, lost count on how many times I actually went round, its been a long time since ive stepped into the park, but I enjoyed this run, especially running up the old steps thinking that I was Rocky....

Why: Wednesdays are the only longer running days, wanted to do 16km ( 10 miles )but it was getting to cold.

Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Saturday

Time to warm up

Bye folks!!
  • Been away for a few days - did you miss me?

Enforced lay-off from running at the moment and the pain is nearly gone - but of course that doesn't mean it won't come back. May start running again in a week or so but my running will change (More details of my strategy to follow).

Anyway over the last few days have been really enjoying some cross training which has been:

Saturday: Squash (first game in six months and boy was I stiff afterwards!)
    Sunday: Skiing in Garmisch (excellent!!)
    Monday: Swimming plus cycling
    Tuesday: Weights plus cycling
    Today: Rest!
  • MartinH -- I was just thinking ... not seen MartinH for a while :o) Welcome back.
  • going to do the "cold test" on the way home

will run dependant on results
  • Hi,

Frank has asked me to drop in and check that the Frank Horvill Marathon Schedule TM is being used properly on this thread. He has this to say to you Achilles: '90s extra recovery? Call yourself a runner? Try harder next time' , and for Marmite Master this: ' you strike me as an earnest chap even though you claim to get results on running only once a fortnight with a few sit-ups in between. You might like to try my new Pi session: 3.142 laps in 3.142 minutes with 3.142 s recoveries.

Sorry, the master's calling. Apparently some other coach is bringing the sport into disrepute by insisting it's all about heart rate. See you again, and remember, I'm watching you.
  • Damn and blast! Fancy blowing my cover by forgetting to disable my pic. Doh!

• Laura - lmao!!! So funny that :o)
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Laura, haven't you done that once before!

I like your Pi session - does that involve going round in circles!