Pacing Problem

I seem to have a bit of a problem with pacing. Having never kept a training log, I have just started to do so and have noticed a definite pattern emerge over the last three weeks - a lot of my runs seem to end up being run at the same pace, even though some are supposed to be tempo and some recovery!

I don't own a HRM (and don't intend to buy one, I'm afraid, as I find wearing a chest-strap especially uncomfortable) but I would like some advice on how to judge pace a bit better so that recovery runs are actually that and not run at breakneck speed! It can't be doing me that much good to run all my sessions at the same speed.

I just seem to find it difficult to run slowly - even if I think I'm going slowly and taking it easy my watch says otherwise!

Comments

• you could try monitoring your breathing.

three-three is a good pattern for recovery runs (i.e. breathe in for three paces, breathe out for three paces, but then you knew that).

if you find yourself breathing two-two, you're probably going too fast.

and yes, the more variety of paces you can build into your training the better.
  • Take your watch with you on your regular routes, note the time it takes to run between various landmarks, and try to run faster or slower than usual, as required.

I doubt, by the way, that you are doing all of your runs at 'breakneck' speed - that is probably just your normal, steady pace. Try to go faster on some of your runs, not slower!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Achilles - that's useful advice.

Donutto: OK, 'breakneck' speed is probably a slight exaggeration, and while I accept that for a tempo session I should probably be aiming to go a bit faster, for longer runs and recovery runs I definitely think I'm going too fast.
  • Minkin

You've not said why you think you are running longer and recovery runs too fast? Put simply: it is not possible consistently to run most of your runs 'too' fast. Were you to do so, you would either become exhausted and find it impossible to maintain the same speed, or you would be hit by illness or injury. You've not explained whether either of those conditions applies to you.

If you are able maintain the same consistent speed for most of your runs, without suffering from exhuastion, illness or injury, you are probably just fitter than you think! That is a good sign: build upon it and become faster, rather than worrying about it, and slowing yourself down un-necessarily.
  • I tried a heart-rate monitor and got sick of it as it never worked properly (gave me a reading of either 56 or 214).

Try fitting in some shorter harder bursts - use your watch to time intervals of 1-5 minutes and up your pace to a level that you think you can sustain. Start your run a lot slower than you think you want to go (so you feel ashamed of your pace!) and you will start to feel the difference in your breathing rate. Over time your "easy" runs will gradually get faster and more comfortable at a faster pace.

As a starter, why not try the cross-country training schedule (think it is in October's RW mag) - it gives an excellent range of interval and tempo runs to try and I have done this one by "feel" rather than heart rate.

Keep trying!
  • Minkin, it's prob taken me a year or so to fully understand my pacing. I do have HRM but dont use it actively. When I started running all my runs were at the same pace but now concioulsy feel specific differences between my short, middle and long distance paces and can predict within seconds the time it has taken for me to reach certain points on my route just by the way I feel. No real advise but to just stick with it.
  • If you have access to a treadmill it might be an idea to experiment with your speeds, try placing a towel over the display and increasing the speed until you feel its at the right intensity for that particular run.
    Next visit try a different type of run and then compare the speeds you settled on.

I used this method to work out what the terms -slow-easy-brisk-fast etc.- meant in all the RW training schedules.