training runs alone

Am I the only one who prefers to run alone? Every tip I seem to read includes a piece about finding a partner or joining a club.

Although I can chat whilst running, I prefer not to. I like to run at my own pace, and don't like the idea of slowing down for someone, or (more likely) struggling to keep up.

I believe it's all down to being motivated enough to get out on your own. If you have that, I don't see the need for a partner, (although I accept the potential safety aspect).

Am I alone in preferring to run alone??

Comments

• i also run alone, like you said preffering to run at my own pace and not others, i also feel as if i get more out of my runs as i need to be more self disciplined and quite often find myself fighting with myself! one voice in my head saying gotta stop in a minute, the other saying dont you dare stop, theres a good feeling about being able to challenge yourself to the limits.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more. Being by myself is one of the things I most like about it.

• Well there you have it. There are single runners out there. For me it is also an escape, I can gather my thoughts, wind down and be anti-social!
  • With respect, shouldn't this thread be on the 'Traing' Forum and not the FLM forum?
  • I love to run on my own and sometimes resent it when people invite themselves along to join me!!! The only exception is when running with my coach who is ace so I don't mind!

Wouldn't say no to running with Queen Paula (bows as she writes this) though on a Sunday morning!!!
  • I love running on my own - I can go when and where I want to and at whatever pace I have planned for that day. My main concern relates to safety as a woman running alone through the streets of London. What I tend to do is use the treadmill a couple of times a week and one run outside at lunchtime with my long run during daylight hours on Sunday. Seems to be working well!
  • I like running on my own too, but i do find that running with others slighty better than yourself helps if you want to improve. It all depends what you want out of running and if you are a club runner type or a solo runner type.

Good Running whatever type you are.

AndyJohn
  • And lets not forget that great running partner who is faithful , always stays at your pace , and is always up for it ( and can help those who are worried being on their own ).
    I mean the DOG. He's brill!
  • Mike19Mike19 ✭✭✭
    I like running on my own, however it's nice to run with somebody else at times.

In my case it means I run slower than I would otherwise.... me thinks this is a good thing. Trying to do the long run at short run pace... not good! I'm learning but it's not easy! Especially two days later!

• I run on my own because I have to. I live in the middle of nowhere and tend to run whenever I find the time be it early, during the day, or evening.

My nearest club is based 25 minutes by car which takes too much time out of a day.

While I am happy on my own at my own (Sometimes sluggish) pace, I do at times yearn for the company and being quite competitive, the challenge of keeping up or going past!

These dark mornings and evenings are a bugger though aren't they
  • I also run on my own and enjoy it, I find that it gives me time to myself to collect thoughts etc, the rest of the day is spent crowded rounf by people, colleagues at work and family at home it is the only quality time I get!
  • I do most of my running alone, but that's because I have no-one to run with. I run with the local club on Monday evenings, and can go much faster with other people than I can on my own. Although I enjoy my long w/e runs with books to listen to on my MP3 player, I'd really appreciate some companionship in the build up to the FLM (which I hope to do). No-one else in the club seems to be doing long runs at my speed - (I'm hoping for 3:45) - the ones who go out for long runs at the w/e are all much faster than me. Actually, I can't go to speed training either as the speed trainers are all much faster too. It's a bit disappointing :-(
  • youd be too fast for me little piglet
    Good luck
  • I don't run with any other humans...I find it frustrating have to match other peoples pace (too fast or too slow)...I take my two canine friends along..they're always up for it!