Race Memento's

Race memento’s what’s you favourite item & why?
Do you really need another T-shirt or would you rather sling another medal in the box?

Comments

• My favourite momento is a Cornish pastie money box < Cornish 10K>
    The best momento is a framed Nottingham lace depicting Robin Hood < marathon>
    I've also got slate coasters and paperweights.
  • The Stafford half is well known for the high quality of its T-shirts and unusually these come in a range of colours and sizes. After dragging my rather large frame around in under 1hr 40 mins I proudly queued up for my shirt. As I reached the table the lady turned to her helper and said "we need the extra larges now". At first I was a little offended but I now look at the shirt with pride as I was "officially" the first extra large runner to finish.
  • Being quite tall, the best momento is a t-shirt that actualy fits. Mrs Pizza has a large choice of running t-shirts that are too small for me. Unlike the Staford half most races (there are exceptions) only do one size.
  • One of my faves is a half pint lager glass engraved with the name of the race. Can't remember which race it was - a memorial 10k somewhere up near/in wolverhampton. A friend took me up there to enter on the day and i managed to win my age group. Everyone received the lager glass though. It is used regularly by hubby for his homebrew sampling.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I don't mind t-shirts, not fussed on a medal unless I've won it.
    My favourite mementos are slate coasters or glasses with the race name engraved on them. I have a set of 4 of each of these from entering the same race for the last four years.
  • I got a Christmas pudding for taking part in the Sneed Pudding Run! Prior to London this year it was the only race I'd ever entered. It was 10 miles and I'd never run more than 5 before but I got talked into it by a so called friend, but I finished it and was proud of my pudding!!
  • I realise I never gave my favourite race memento's but reading your's I feel I should. Espesially as I started it.
    I surpose No.1 has to be a PB! but as they don't come very often, these are the rest.

A good quality T-Shirt [I don't mind paying a little extra]
    I specially did the Nottingham 1/2 in 2000 because I thought the date would look good in the Nottingham lace.
    A towel from the Havana 1/2 is also nice.

Thanks for you reply's: I really like the idea of collecting engraved glasses over a number of years. I shall look for a race!

Tim :)
  • I was given a really good quality golden jubilee keyring at the 2002 5M Cubert, Newquay race. It was my first ever race and I gave it to my Dad for Fathers Day (he was a runner and rugby player in his time).
  • At Saltwell 10k at the start of the year we they dished out engraved shot glasses along with a wisky minature :o)

Will
  • An engraved wine glass from the Bramley 20. Would have had to go round four times to make a set (for our house) tho!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    It's gotta to be medals (as anyone who has seen my exploits with Dick Dastardly in Stop that Pigeon will know). T-shirt is okay, but I'm not bothered about glasses because I don't drink.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    I've only done 4 races so haven't got an extensive knowledge!

I'm already fed up of tee shirts but did get a really good medal attached to a keyring from a 10k trail race near Brighton. I like it because I can use it rather than throw it in a drawer.
  • A bottle of specially labelled white wine (still not drunk) from this years Deutsche Weinstrasse Half marathon.

Worst: A combined clothes brush and shoehorn from the 1991 (?) Hatfield Broad Oak 10k
  • I've only done one race - the 5K Race for Life this year - but was amused by the goody bag full of samples - various edibles, but also the bits to make us sweeter smelling after the race - shampoo, shower gel, face cream - and then FINALLY a bottle of water!

Perhaps I need to raise by aspirations race-wise to get some better momentoes!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Last year I had so many bottles of wine from races as our ladies club team, which I was part of, did well in most of the League Races often picking up bottles of wine. We won the League overall where there was more bottles of wine, so I did get a bit fed up with wine as a prize.

One of the best trophies we won was made of wood and shaped like 3 peaks to represent the Three Peaks Race, it's excellent.