Supersize Kids

Comments

• JennyG - you can't expect these lardasses to go cold turkey. They'd only go and eat the whole thing in one sitting.

;-)

• VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    I'd started thinking that tv was becoming a bit too full of weight related issues recently but the program last night I think has been successful in that it's promoted some discussion (not just here - I've also been talking to people at work about it).

Now, whether the people that it is truly aimed at sit up and take notice is an entirely different matter.

Question for you : How much does the NHS spend already on Weight Related health problems? And how much on smoking?

Why do smoking people get help with the Stop Smoking program I keep hearing about but there isn't something similar for Weight Issues? Or are we expected to cough up to Weight Watchers, etc which are, after all, just a support group but with extra bells and whistles.
  • It would be great if dieticians visited local GP surgeries and ran weight loss groups, even if there was a small charge. Proper, sensible dietary advice rather than stoopid fad diets involing cabbage soup and lots of farting.

Seriously, I'd rather weight loss was supported by the NHS than seen as something you have to tackle by yourself and pay for.
  • I gree, and I'm sure that in the long term it would be cost efficient as so many illnesses/diseases the NHS currently treat can be weight related eg heart disease, cancer.
  • i think its sad that they have these operations. its really fun rolling the fat little b@st@rds down steep hills with busy road junctions at the bottom, and i can't see surgical interference doing anything but ruin this.
  • My last comment was sort of playing devil's advocate....but although it's kind of true, we shouldn't be calling these people "lardarse" or whatever as many of them have other problems we know nothing about. Helen's mum had no self esteem whatsoever - the "I saved her life" line was surely no more than an attempt to inject some importance into her own miserable life.
  • they started it. i guarantee that yHelen's mum heckles runners. (see heckling thread)
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    Perhaps with her enforced (through surgery) weight loss, she'll start to realise how good she can feel and how much time she has wasted over the years.

More importantly, she'll hopefully realise just how much damage she did to her child through her own blinkered views on life.
  • I had alot of sympathy for the young blonde girl, her poor body. It was though someone had super imposed her head on an elderly persons body! !
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys - have to get back to work. But thanks for the interesting conversation.

I'll be back later on tonight to find out if anything more was discussed.

;o)
  • Ink BlotInk Blot ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch the programme but...

If this mother refuses to take the blame herself and thinks that her weight and that of her child is due to their 'fat' gene then how can the NHS or anyone else help them to learn about healthy/unhealthy foods short of handcuffing her and making her sit through an educational course and even then nobody can make her listen to what she's being told.
  • I'm with you Evil Pixie. She's reduced to eating mush for her *entire life* and I just don't know if she had completely grasped that concept. Learning about eating healthily and how to cook healthy food would have been far more valuable. She hasn't undergone a conscious lifestyle change - she's opted out and had an operation which controls her eating. The easy way out. Controlling her eating by willpower would have been the hard way and is the way most of us have to take.
  • Unless she gets used to eating small amounts of food she will carry on gorging herself . She needs to learn about portion control and healthy eating and unless she eats small portions and sees the effects she wont lean not to stuff herself
  • But of course theres nothing stopping her liquidisng fish and chips is there?? BLEEURGH
  • In response to the comments above about support groups on the NHS:

http://www.slimming-on-referral.com/public_home.asp

I hadn't heard of this until last week's Supersize Kids prog prompted a similar discussion on another forum I use - which makes me think it should be better publicised!
  • They have to choice to learn about healthy food.

First of all, their doctor should have mentioned that they are overweight and haver recommended a dietician (especially for the child). The dietician could have learned them about good eating habbits.

The mother could have choosen to visit a cooking class (I don't know about the UK but here there are lots and lots of cooking classes).

It really in the end is about choice and responsability. You can always choose to learn (only 2% is to stupid to learn and can't do anything about it).
  • sasjeh

you are lucky living in belgium.

there is a huge "underclass" here of whom the mother in that programme was a shining example. these people accept responsibility for nothing. everything is somebody else's fault. they rely upon benefits and handouts, and have no ambition or conception of doing anything other than this. they aren't genetically within the 2% too stupid to learn, but by deciding from schooldays not to subscribe to education, they have made themselves effectively stupid.

the really sad thing is, say what you like, these people do not want to change, and wont.
  • Candy I know it's a little less extreme here in belgium. But it's getting worse.

But aren't there courses you can join when you are pregant, to help you prepare for birth and afterwards? Doesn't your doctor suggest such courses? Don't people buy all those books anymore on how to take care of babies and kids?

And well these people do want to change (I'm very sure they would like to be slim and live a glorious life like the stars from their favourite soaps). They just don't want to make any effort. The are lazy.

• crikey

a bunch of chavs have recently been moved into a housing scheme in my village. my other half teaches at the primary school.

of the 9 kids belonging to the filthy chavsters, 8, yes 8, are categorised as having learning difficulties. these are of the "parents completely ignore them" variety, rather than being due to any medical condition.

despite completely ignoring their children at home (TV takes the parental role) they are always happy to turn up at school with their arms folded screaming and shouting. most recently, a delegation apparently turned up because the school had issued reading cards - asking parents to log how well their kids read to them at home.

teaching the kids to read is, apparently "skools job not parents". the head teacher made the mistake of saying that the children of parents who did talk to and read with their children progressed faster at school. this was seen as "diskrimation", he was actually threatened with a law suit.

the chav parent in this programme left her kid in front of the TV, in exactly the same way. the programme did suggest that it was TVs fault that she was fat, due to adverts.

obviously, the parents cant be arsed to be parents, so TV and school should do a better job.
  • the really frightening thing is:

what are the next generation going to be like???
  • So these filthy chavsters - are they obese too?
  • generally that type of person finds gratification impossible to delay (not that they would want to), so there is a higher incidence of obesity, as well as smoking and drug abuse.

so probably.
  • They should only sell telly's that work 2h a day. Then when you want to watch more, you've got to bike(make your own electricity) to watch to program.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids. But then again how do you define who can and who can't.